The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stop down on G1 for MF with adaptor?

T

tkelly

I am intrigued by the idea of using the G1 with small fast primes in available light. In Sean Reid's review of the Milich GT adapter, he says it makes sense to focus with a lens wide open and then stop down to take a picture. Would this be the case with fast lenses and fast to moderate apertures (say <f2.8), or just when using small apertures (say >f8)? If you were using a CV 35/1.2 at f2.5 (or less), which is the same aperture as (or wider than) a CV 35/2.5 wide open, why would you need to focus the f1.2 lens wide open?
On a somewhat related note, Sean's review of the CV28/2 notes some focus shift problems. Would focus shift be an issue when used on the G1, or would you just focus at the taking aperture?

Amin

If you were using a CV 35/1.2 at f2.5 (or less), which is the same aperture as (or wider than) a CV 35/2.5 wide open, why would you need to focus the f1.2 lens wide open?
You would have a less noisy EVF and more precise focus if you focus wide open and then stop down to shoot. However, focusing with the lens already stopped down is no different than focusing with a slower lens wide open.

On a somewhat related note, Sean's review of the CV28/2 notes some focus shift problems. Would focus shift be an issue when used on the G1, or would you just focus at the taking aperture?
If you focus wide open and stop down, focus shift will be an issue. If you focus at the taking aperture, focus shift will not be an issue.

Martin S

Amin

What about shooting outside with an f stop of say f 8 - 11??

Is the evf bright enough to focus stopped down??

BTW I am thinking of purchasing a Zeiss 18mm to use with the G1.

Also, I might use my mothballed Voightlander 15 mm with the G1?

What do u think??

Martin

Terry

I'm going to use my CV12 on the G1. I haven't tried the stopped down of a MF lens outside yet! :eek: