The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a900 buy I get one with Zeiss 24-70 free

DavidL

Well in comparison to the Nikon and Canon equivalents.
I've been pricing up a basic outfit in the UK from reliable dealers The Canon and Nikon with their respective 24-70 f2.8 zooms come in at around £6320 and £6355 The Sony with the Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 and a battery grip, to make it fairer, comes in at around £3100.
So, if you take the lens out of the equation the Canon and Nikon bodies are around £5300 and the Sony with a grip is around £2000. So that's buy one and get another body with the lens free. Well for the same price you'd pay for a Nikon or Canon body only. And still enough money to buy that special person in your life a bribe, sorry present
No wonder Sony has a forum of it's own. I'm struggling not to buy one and join in.
Hope the Maths holds up :)
David

Ben Rubinstein

Yeah but the camera you should be comparing to in the 5D mkII and not the 1Ds mkIII. I think that will bring the economics of the decision back in line a bit.

DavidL

Yeah but the camera you should be comparing to in the 5D mkII and not the 1Ds mkIII. I think that will bring the economics of the decision back in line a bit.
Maybe. however, I was mainly looking at the Nikon as that's what I shoot on and it has the same sensor. I threw the Canon in as it was also their flagship camera and comparable to the D3x.
I guess if the D700x appears I should recheck the figures.
David

jonoslack

Hi David
The other thing you should throw into the equation, is pleasure.
The A900 is simply a gas to use.

You'd better buy one before the price goes up!

Irenaeus

Strong and conflicting constraints make me extremely interested in this thread. It would be helpful to me if we could postulate the question like this:

"If it were necessary for you to be limited to a single camera for the foreseeable future, could you be content with the Sony a900? If not, could you be so with anything else at or below its current price point?"

Why or why not would be helpful. We might allow for an additional pocket sized camera in order to simplify the discussion, though if some "serious compact," would be enough for you by itself, that'd be fascinating to know, too.

Judging by what I've seen so far, of course, any of you could make good stuff with whatever camera might come to hand and eye. At this price point, though, I'd personally be needing to put most of my eggs in one basket and I'm wondering what you'd think about that for yourself.

Cheers,

(with bated breath!)

Irenaeus

G

gtmerideth

Irenaeus,

The a900 works for me. I do a smattering of architectural and interior assignments and for pleasure macro and landscape stuff. Being mostly retired and traveling the subject matter is very static and mostly with
good light. The viewfinder is a pleasure and the ZA AF lenses are just spectacular. My particular case. Couldn't be happier.

gary http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/th_angelsmiley4.gif

douglasf13

Irenaeus,

The a900 works for me. I do a smattering of architectural and interior assignments and for pleasure macro and landscape stuff. Being mostly retired and traveling the subject matter is very static and mostly with
good light. The viewfinder is a pleasure and the ZA AF lenses are just spectacular. My particular case. Couldn't be happier.

gary http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/th_angelsmiley4.gif
Hey, Gary. Which lenses are you using for your architectural and interior work, if I may ask?

edwardkaraa

"If it were necessary for you to be limited to a single camera for the foreseeable future, could you be content with the Sony a900? If not, could you be so with anything else at or below its current price point?"

Irenaeus
I am currently limited (by choice) to a single camera and very content, except for one thing, the lack of a pro macro lens that I regularly need for my work. Not that other brands offer a better one mind you.

LJL

It really is a shame that the Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro APO EX DG HSM is not available for the Sony A900. This is an absolutely outstanding lens, and at about $620, it is a steal. I use this lens a fair amount on my FF Canons, and interestingly, it was one of the first I looked for while considering the A900....but no luck...yet. Maybe if enough folks get after Sigma, they may consider the Sony mount for it.....one could hope.

LJ

fotografz

After eading all the reviews and seeing the examples from the 5D-II, I don't think I'd compare the A900 to the Canon.

To my way of thinking, it's probably somewhere in between 5D-II and the Top Dog DSLRS.

G

gtmerideth

Hi Douglas,

My architectural work is for my son who is a real estate rep and sells churches and schools. Really, I'm more than he needs as I've done A and I stuff for
40 years. But my pricing is advantageous. A lunch or dinner now and then.

To answer your question I have been successful with the 24 end of the ZA zoom and I have used the Minolta 20/2.8 which demands some careful use.
First on FF it suffers from moustache distortion so one must not place horizontal lines at the top or bottom of the frame. Diagonal line and verticals
don't cause much of a problem and are correctable in post if necessary. The detail achieved reminds me of my 4x5 days and the color rendition is so accurate.

I will probably purchase the 16-35 or the sigma when we get out of this very poor economic condition and his listings increase.
g.

douglasf13

Thanks, g. I've picked up a little of work shooting some tv show sets, and those are the two lenses I used :) I also think I'll wait on the 16-35, unless this work becomes more frequent.

jonoslack

Gary, Doug
Like you, I use the 24-70 and the 20 f2.8.
I also have the sigma 12/24 which is cheap and light, and produces good results too.

I have the money stashed for the 16-35, but I'm hesitating, as I don't think there are that many situations when it would get used.

carstenw

I am considering getting the A900+24-70 but with my current money situation it doesn't look realistic until after the rumoured price increases from Sony in Britain (the price is significantly lower there than Germany, and I have friends and family there).

I am, however, in possession of a WATE with finder which I barely use, and which has a new/used price in the same ballpark as the above combo, and I am wondering if I can find someone willing to do such a deal, possibly with a little cash changing hands as well. I have no idea where to look or how to go about finding such a person though.

Does anyone here have any bright ideas?

Eoin

Hi Carsten, I can't help you with the sale of the WATE, but perhaps if you're thinking of an a900 you could talk to harrison camera's in the UK, they are also a Leica premier dealer and they may be interested in a part exchange.

I got most of stuff from them and while they maybe a little more expensive per item, they don't rip you off on the shipping costs like some others. I have always talked to Alison, very, very helpful.