The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss QuickLink - How does it work?

rjp85

I've been trying to decide between the Kirk Tripod Head Quick Disconnect system, and the Arca Swiss QuickLink system for switching between multiple platforms and multiple heads.

I've watched every video and seen every image I could of the QuickLink system.

The Arca QuickLink looks faster and easier to use, and is also lower profile, and probably lighter weight than the Kirk. My question is, what exactly happens when you twist (Lock) the QuickLink receiver to keep the plate secure? Is there any way the plate can move even a millimeter in any direction? What exactly is happening to the plate when it's locked?

Would you trust the QuickLink to handle something awkward, like a full-blown 4 pound gimbal head, for example?

The Kirk system is a round, tall Arca style clamp with plates to attach to your heads, so it's pretty clear how it works. The QuickLink on the other hand, is a mystery to me. I wish I could try one out in real life.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Godfrey

The QuickLink is a breech-lock mount. The receiver or female side mounts on the tripod, the foot or male side mounts on your tripod head. Being a breech-lock, when you drop the foot into the receiver, it drops precisely in place and turning the locking ring snugs it down tight with very little actual force required ... as long as you have the foot properly snugged to the tripod head, it isn't going to move at all.

I have the receivers mounted on each of my two primary tripods, and feet mounted on both of my primary tripod heads so I can swap them from one set of legs to the other depending on what I'm doing and with what tripod and head. It's such a strong, tight connection, I've more than once forgotten entirely that I had it there, yet I can turn the lock ring in a fraction of a second and swap the head instantly. Expensive, a bit of overkill for my needs perhaps, but it's really well done.

I've attached a few JPEGs to show you the QuickLink along with the A-S P0 Hybrid, and then the QL receiver and foot. It's pretty darn beefy stuff.

G

QuickLink-1.jpg

QuickLink-2.jpg

QuickLink-3.jpg

QuickLink-4.jpg

Last edited:

Mexecutioner

I have 3 of them and I trust them. I wouldn't put a $50K + camera system on it if I didn't. Would I throw the tripod over my shoulder while the rig is secured to it? Probably not, but I wouldn't handle it like that anyway.

I think it is a very sleek solution, once you turn it you feel it tighten progressively and it is very secure. You can make it really tight. I doubt it would become loose with normal use.

I've heard the knob on the Kirk kinda sucks to loosen and tighten and it is not very easy to operate. I've personally never tried one.

Rand47

I have 3 of them and I trust them. I wouldn't put a $50K + camera system on it if I didn't. Would I throw the tripod over my shoulder while the rig is secured to it? Probably not, but I wouldn't handle it like that anyway.

I think it is a very sleek solution, once you turn it you feel it tighten progressively and it is very secure. You can make it really tight. I doubt it would become loose with normal use.

I've heard the knob on the Kirk kinda sucks to loosen and tighten and it is not very easy to operate. I've personally never tried one.
+1 I use the quick link on my D4 head and RRS 34L tripod. Very secure, and very low profile.

Rand