The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Colors! Courtesy of Sony 35mm 1.4 G

MoJo

Registred Users
too rich for me..... looks like oversaturated canon colors..... of course everyone has their own opinion....

edwardkaraa

It doesn't look like oversaturated Canon color to me. It looks like perfect Sony color which I like to describe as film-like (film being chrome in this case :D)

Nice photos Jorge

JimU

Not Available
It looks oversaturated Leica to me. and too warm to be Canon. minolta glass tends to have more muted saturation and contrast than that.

jpg?

E

emyyl

These do not look like traditional Minolta colors, which I was hoping the A900 would replicate to some degree. I did not like the colors from an A100, which seemed highly Sony Cybershot of the old.

Years ago, I've seen some (to me) gorgeous warm and saturated colors from pictures taken with the pairing of 35mm 1.4G and KM 5D/7D jpeg's. I still long for those colors.

douglasf13

There are a multitude of jpeg settings in the A900, and most of us haven't really scratched the surface of what the A900 can do in that regard.

JimU

Not Available
some of the best examples of minolta colours are in the lens sample database at dyxum. In particular, Dumont's Minolta 50/1.4

5D+50/1.4

7D+50/1.4

wayne_s

Between the bad MTF's on photodo site and the horrendous CA and corner resolution results on photozone site I have a hard time believing this lens is that good. Does this lens have a lot of CA?
Is the bad corner performance due to having a large amount of field curvature?

JimU

Not Available
the 35/1.4 is unmatched for colour & bokeh. it's also unmatched for sharpness : price value.

(both wide open)

gsking

the 35/1.4 is unmatched for colour & bokeh. it's also unmatched for sharpness : price value.
Great shots.

Wait, is price in the numerator or denominator? ;) Colour and bokeh is one thing, but I'd say the LAST thing the 35/1.4 will win is any sort of "sharpness per dollar spent" contest. For $1300, most people expect more, and that's the biggest gripe. They want a CZ version that will be ubersharp wide open.

I have no problem shooting mine wide open, but then, I'm not a sharpness freak.

In any case, I find the 35/1.4 to look similar to the 100/2 in terms of bokeh. The 100/2 is also sharper wide open.

So, given that the 100/2 can be found for $600-700, I'd say it would win the sharpness-value award.

(Disclaimer: I haven't used either on FF).

Greg

ryc

I would say the 35 1.4 renders beautiful bokeh and color. But it would not be unmatched. It's great for wide angle portraits and wide angle close ups but it is not a very sharp lens compared to others good lenses it is probably equal.

roweraay

I think the 35mm f/1.4G was a lens where the sheer "rendering" of the image was targeted by Minolta designers than pure sharpness. They left the "sharpness" related tasks to the 2nd tier Minolta 35mm f/2.

I had a 35mm f/1.4 briefly but sold it. I regret having sold it.