Site Sponsors

Thread: My 1Ds mmiii gets mistaken for a weapon

Senior Member Nathan W. Lediard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My 1Ds mmiii gets mistaken for a weapon

I usually post over in the medium format forum, but I was on a job today with my trusty 1DsmkIII
    I kid you not, if you cant read norwegian then use google translate or something, but today I was pulled out of my van at gunpoint by heavily armed police because someone had called in seeing a man walking down the road carrying a machine gun!
    – De pekte på meg med pistoler og ba meg holde hendene på rattet - Møre og Romsdal - NRK Nyhende

I mean, easy mistake to make...
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My 1Ds mmiii gets mistaken for a weapon

they don't call em canons for nothing.

- both have long range
    - both have optics
    - 1Ds has full auto!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glad you're OK. Hard to say much else without ranting about stupid people and politics.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That s why I condemn all photo paraphernalia imitating firearms. I also criticized a video that was glorified by fStoppers (if I recall well) in a story about a guerrilla war made using only photographic equipment. Of course, it's make believe but associating any camera equipment to assault weapons is at best a really bad idea. My critic was way before the Newtown tragedy.
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't try a Leica R 400mm with gun stock around skittish people.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Not to be picky, but an AR-15 is not a machine gun.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, neither is a camera...... so you are being picky.. lay people really dont know the difference between a machine gun and an automatic rifle or a sub machine gun.... really thats not the issue here... if someone cannot see the difference between a camera and a firearm, you dont really expect then to be able to use the correct nomenclature for the different types of firearms out there do you?
    Yes, the person said "machine gun" when he /she/it rang the police, but really alot of people call anything that looks military and obviously not a hunting rifle a machine gun...

For the pic I tried to find a weapon that came as close to my rig in profile as possible... and even then really unless you use the glass from the bottom of coke bottles for glasses you can easily see the difference... If I had posted a pic of a machine gun the the difference is even more striking...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

just trying to inject a bit of additional humor into your thread. I do think it's quite funny that your camera was mistaken for a weapon, although those Canons are quite large and heavy, aren't they? And what about the name itself?? In any case, if you put the text "M16" instead of "AR-15" it would have taken a real weapons expert to determine if it actually weren't an automatic, and even then it might not have been possible from that photo.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

You really don't want to know what's in my safe......
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I also like the mug shot. Is that log between your head and shoulders your neck? have you ever considered martial arts? You look like the kinda guy I wouldn't mess with; gun or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha,,, Kolor-Pikker... you know when I was younger I worked as a bouncer for a while... I do hear that alot, but I can assure you that I am not the aggressive type unless protecting myself or family big softy really (but ssshhh dont tell everyone... )

organicfood

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    just trying to inject a bit of additional humor into your thread. I do think it's quite funny that your camera was mistaken for a weapon, although those Canons are quite large and heavy, aren't they? And what about the name itself?? In any case, if you put the text "M16" instead of "AR-15" it would have taken a real weapons expert to determine if it actually weren't an automatic, and even then it might not have been possible from that photo.
    iam agree with him.