The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Opinions on changing my 300 2.8IS for a long zoom

ShooterSteve

I have a 300 2.8IS which is a fantastic lens. Unfortunately I haven't used it in years. I'm thinking to sell it and replace it with a zoom like a 200-400 instead. I find I'm shooting more travel work these days and less fashion/lifestyle where the 300 2.8 was perfect. But for travel work the size and weight is too much to lug around. I have no experience in any long zooms and would love some feedback. I do have the latest 70-200 2.8 which I use all the time and love it.

I have since realized that Canon doesn't make a 200-400 that I can find, so any other advice would be welcome. Maybe a 100-300? Something smaller than the 300 2.8 but without giving up any image quality.

Thanks.

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Consider the Nikon 300/4 PF lens . The size .weight and ability to hand hold at slower shutter speeds are the primary advantages . It does not have the image contrast of the 300/2.8 which is near the top of the class in telephotos IQ ...but it is plenty sharp and with a little kick in post processing contrast ...it produces great files .

If you are using a D4/D5 body ..you should be completely happy . With a D800/D810 you will have to punch up the files some . The D4/D5/Df sensors seem to have higher contrast before processing .

The Nikkor 200-400/4 .....never liked this lens . It does not match the primes . The issue is that it is optimized for middle distances . So if you want a large image it can be great but of you are shooting at infinity ...not so good .

This is of course subjective insights ..but I do shoot frequently with the Nikkor 400/2.8 AF VR which I consider the standard for telephoto lenses . The 300/2.8 is about the same ..so you have a tough standard to meet .

I found I couldn t get the longer telephotos into Tennis ..so I had to go to something I could shoot hand held .

ShooterSteve

Consider the Nikon 300/4 PF lens . The size .weight and ability to hand hold at slower shutter speeds are the primary advantages . It does not have the image contrast of the 300/2.8 which is near the top of the class in telephotos IQ ...but it is plenty sharp and with a little kick in post processing contrast ...it produces great files .

If you are using a D4/D5 body ..you should be completely happy . With a D800/D810 you will have to punch up the files some . The D4/D5/Df sensors seem to have higher contrast before processing .

The Nikkor 200-400/4 .....never liked this lens . It does not match the primes . The issue is that it is optimized for middle distances . So if you want a large image it can be great but of you are shooting at infinity ...not so good .

This is of course subjective insights ..but I do shoot frequently with the Nikkor 400/2.8 AF VR which I consider the standard for telephoto lenses . The 300/2.8 is about the same ..so you have a tough standard to meet .

I found I couldn t get the longer telephotos into Tennis ..so I had to go to something I could shoot hand held .
Thanks but I sold my last Nikon body and without a good Sony AF adapter, leaves any Nikon lens out as an option.