The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

PeterA

This one is for you KH !!- but I have cheated and used my other 'new' camera the Leica CL - happy to report the M lenses work beautifully on it...( bought it to use the 90-290 SL on it as a Lens horse giving me a longer reach of 420mm@ F4.5) ..

Cheers
Pete

iiiNelson

Interesting.
OIS/IBIS Combo, I hope it works well! :thumbup:
X-T3 AF, any good? :grin:
I found the XT3 to be a big improvement over the XT2 in nearly every way. I think some reviews are downplaying the improvements based on the spec sheet which makes it seem like it’s an incremental upgrade but the AF is pretty comparable in accuracy to what I get from the A7RII now which is to say 75%+ hit rate (in limited testing) depending on light. With the XT2 in “stress testing” with my couson’s camera body I’d say the hit rate for me was in the 50-70% range depending on light. Also the PDAF points cover the sensor so that is akin to the A9/A7III/EOS R/Nikon Z series cameras so that’s a great thing for not having to use focus/recompose or trusting the CDAF points. Lastly the camera just operates a lot faster all around.

Last edited:

PeterA

This 100MP monster is gunna shakes things up big time in so called MF land @ 10K I reckon Fuji not only becomes #1 MF brand - but also steals a fair bit of market share in upper end of 35mm ....what does everyone think?

k-hawinkler

This 100MP monster is gunna shakes things up big time in so called MF land @ 10K I reckon Fuji not only becomes #1 MF brand - but also steals a fair bit of market share in upper end of 35mm ....what does everyone think?
Well Peter, to make the GFX100 a more allpurpose tool it needs to focus a lot faster. By that I mean the time period from starting focusing to a successful focus has to be shortened substantially.

If, as they claim, the GFX100 can shoot almost 10 FPS, that also would imply that the cirrent sensor readout time of ÂĽ s would need to be significantly faster, 1/20 or 1/30 s could easily permit 10 FPS. Of course, that would still be insufficient to make the electronic shutter a useful genreral purpose tool.

However, currently only the sensor readout time of 1/160 s of the Sony A9 is fast enough for that. For completeness one should point out that video cameras with a true global electronic shutter are already commercially available.

k-hawinkler

I found the XT3 to be a big improvement over the XT2 in nearly every way. I think some reviews are downplaying the improvements based on the spec sheet which makes it seem like it’s an incremental upgrade but the AF is pretty comparable in accuracy to what I get from the A7RII now which is to say 75%+ hit rate (in limited testing) depending on light. With the XT2 in “stress testing” with my couson’s camera body I’d say the hit rate for me was in the 50-70% range depending on light. Also the PDAF points cover the sensor so that is akin to the A9/A7III/EOS R/Nikon Z series cameras so that’s a great thing for not having to use focus/recompose or trusting the CDAF points. Lastly the camera just operates a lot faster all around.

Thanks Tre. Focus performance of the Sony A7r.2 is obviously an improvement, but a far cry from that of the Sony A9, needed for Birds in Flight and such.

PeterA

Well Peter, to make the GFX100 a more allpurpose tool it needs to focus a lot faster. By that I mean the time period from starting focusing to a successful focus has to be shortened substantially.

If, as they claim, the GFX100 can shoot almost 10 FPS, that also would imply that the cirrent sensor readout time of ÂĽ s would need to be significantly faster, 1/20 or 1/30 s could easily permit 10 FPS. Of course, that would still be insufficient to make the electronic shutter a useful genreral purpose tool.

However, currently only the sensor readout time of 1/160 s of the Sony A9 is fast enough for that. For completeness one should point out that video cameras with a true global electronic shutter are already commercially available.
KH - I dont think any MF camera can be as all purpose as a smaller chipped camera can - for all sorts of reasons - which is why I'll always also shoot with apc and or 35mm anyway. i thinkmthe Fuji MF will be almost as affordable as top end Nikon Canon stuff that a lot opf pros use- but wont be replacing set ups that wildlife and sports shooters need.

iiiNelson

Thanks Tre. Focus performance of the Sony A7r.2 is obviously an improvement, but a far cry from that of the Sony A9, needed for Birds in Flight and such.
No argument that the A9 is better in almost every way except resolution/IQ but for MOST things it’s already good enough. Similarly I’d say with the increase in PDAF performance the XT3 is probably good enough for most things. Even DSLR’s typically have lower hit rates of certain types of sports shooting in reality. I don’t shoot wildlife often (it’s on my list of things to shoot more of) but even still I don’t see why the potential won’t be there for cameras to get some shots with slower readout speeds. The A9 is an unique beast of sorts. Really doesn’t have a major weakness and the weakest part of it IMO is maybe that the mechanical shutter is limited to 5fps. It’s part of the reason I haven’t jumped to an A9... just waiting on the next one(s).

k-hawinkler

No argument that the A9 is better in almost every way except resolution/IQ but for MOST things it’s already good enough. Similarly I’d say with the increase in PDAF performance the XT3 is probably good enough for most things. Even DSLR’s typically have lower hit rates of certain types of sports shooting in reality. I don’t shoot wildlife often (it’s on my list of things to shoot more of) but even still I don’t see why the potential won’t be there for cameras to get some shots with slower readout speeds. The A9 is an unique beast of sorts. Really doesn’t have a major weakness and the weakest part of it IMO is maybe that the mechanical shutter is limited to 5fps. It’s part of the reason I haven’t jumped to an A9... just waiting on the next one(s).
Thanks Tre, I agree with your characterization. :thumbs:

Sure the potential is there for cameras to get some shots with slower readout speeds. But relative to the A9 shooting for example Hummingbirds in Flight with the A7r.2 is an exercise in frustration because of too many missed shots. Except for shots with flash or under artificial lighting, the electronic shutter of the A9 can handle all other types in my experience, whereas the A7r.2 in contrast would mostly have to resort to the mechanical shutter.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Thanks Tre, I agree with your characterization. :thumbs:

Sure the potential is there for cameras to get some shots with slower readout speeds. But relative to the A9 shooting for example Hummingbirds in Flight with the A7r.2 is an exercise in frustration because of too many missed shots. Except for shots with flash or under artificial lighting, the electronic shutter of the A9 can handle all other types in my experience, whereas the A7r.2 in contrast would mostly have to resort to the mechanical shutter.
Yeah, I find myself doing a lot of flash work so that's why I'd like to see Sony put the 10fps mechanical shutter (used in the Generation 3 A7's) into the next A9 body. I don't see myself needing more than that ever in a mechanical flash because the lights would not keep up with that pace. I wouldn't be opposed to the A9's growing in size either to improve heat dissipation, ergonomics without the grip, and weather sealing as well. Nearly everything else about it is "perfect" for me... oh and the $1,000 price cut was extended until January 5th which makes me believe the cut may actually become permanent.

k-hawinkler

Contre Jour

Fuji GFX 50S + GF45mmF2.8 R WR @ ISO 100, FOCAL LENGTH 45.0 mm (36.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/8, EXPOSURE TIME 0.00357s (1/280).