Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Beach Haven, NJ
    Posts
    948
    Post Thanks / Like

    Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    I have no ties to Fuji. I have a GFX 50R, 23mm lens, 32-64mm lens, and 100-200mm lens. It is quite a heavy kit. I saw in Fuji Rumors that the compact and light 50mm f3.5 is on sale for 50% off. Sure enough, I went to B&H and there it was at $499.95 not $999.95. I could not resist, I ordered it and it will be delivered tomorrow, free shipping. I absolutely love the camera and the 24"x 32" prints it makes. I figure when I go on a photo shoot I will take the entire kit, and have it in the car, but walk around with the body and 50mm lens. I turn 83 this month, and light weight to walk around with is a major deal for me. I know my 32-64mm covers 50mm, but it is very heavy. Here is a sample image from the 50R and 32-64mm.
    Thanks
    Dave in NJ
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D792 framed.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	257.3 KB 
ID:	147191
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    As an exercise, I went out with just that 50 and a macro extension tube. It was fun. The lens is small, sharp, and weightless (by MF standards).

    Street crossing button sign:



    Matt
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    4,205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    I have no ties to Fuji. I have a GFX 50R, 23mm lens, 32-64mm lens, and 100-200mm lens. It is quite a heavy kit. I saw in Fuji Rumors that the compact and light 50mm f3.5 is on sale for 50% off. Sure enough, I went to B&H and there it was at $499.95 not $999.95. I could not resist, I ordered it and it will be delivered tomorrow, free shipping. I absolutely love the camera and the 24"x 32" prints it makes. I figure when I go on a photo shoot I will take the entire kit, and have it in the car, but walk around with the body and 50mm lens. I turn 83 this month, and light weight to walk around with is a major deal for me. I know my 32-64mm covers 50mm, but it is very heavy. Here is a sample image from the 50R and 32-64mm.
    Thanks
    Dave in NJ
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D792 framed.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	257.3 KB 
ID:	147191
    Dave,

    Thanks for the heads up on the 50/3.5 and Happy Birthday as well! I just ordered the lens from Allen's Camera and I will also be 83 in June.

    Best regards,
    Carl
    Carl
    Gallery
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Beach Haven, NJ
    Posts
    948
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    Thanks Carl......I will report on the lens as soon as I try it out. And thanks for the birthday wishes....Feb 20, same as Ansel Adams!
    Dave

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Beach Haven, NJ
    Posts
    948
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    Glad I ordered mine. Today at B&H they are saying out of stock, expect more in 7 to 14 days.
    Dave
    www.modernpictorials.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Beach Haven, NJ
    Posts
    948
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    Well, I received the lens. It has been grey, and raining, or drizzling here, but I was determined to try out the new 50mm lens. Here are two samples. I had to boost up the colors to help with the flat ugly lighting. Another reviewer stated he thought the lens did not produce as vibrant colors as some of the other Fuji lenses. Also the close up shot of the fish traps frustrated me as I wanted to get a little closer, and the minimum focus distance is a little lacking. However the lens fills the bill for me as a small, light (comparatively speaking) walk around lens. Because of the lousy lighting these shots are around ISO 1000 or higher.
    All in all, I am happy with the lens.
    Dave in NJ
    www.modernpictorials.comClick image for larger version. 

Name:	D799 framed.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	471.8 KB 
ID:	147273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D800 framed.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	629.0 KB 
ID:	147274
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    I've been humming and hawing about the ridiculous price of this lens and now decided to go for it.

    One reason is that it is at a price which is a lot less than some of the exotic primes for the XF mount. I mean, I own the 16/1.4 which was more second hand than this lens is currently new and its a fine lens but no way close to the quality of a GF lens on a 50R. Likewise, not that I own it the 23/14, 90/2 etc. The only exotic XF lens I own which I actually prefer to the GF alternative is the 80/2.8 macro which absolutely shines on both the X-T3 and the X-H1.

    I figured that for those time when I feel like I don't feel like hefting the 50R, the pancake may make the difference between leaving it at home or taking it with me.

    I still don't understand why Fuji are doing this. Maybe they think that the forthcoming 45-100 is going to eat their baby but I can't see why that would happen. Maybe they just made too many of them and need to recoup the outlay. Maybe they are just nice folks who like their community of users!

    LouisB
    -----
    "My photography books", Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    4,741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    Good luck to all you GF50 users.
    I like my GF45 f/2.8 and its use on the 50S.
    Size and weight are not an issue for me.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I've been humming and hawing about the ridiculous price of this lens and now decided to go for it.

    One reason is that it is at a price which is a lot less than some of the exotic primes for the XF mount. I mean, I own the 16/1.4 which was more second hand than this lens is currently new and its a fine lens but no way close to the quality of a GF lens on a 50R. Likewise, not that I own it the 23/14, 90/2 etc. The only exotic XF lens I own which I actually prefer to the GF alternative is the 80/2.8 macro which absolutely shines on both the X-T3 and the X-H1.

    I figured that for those time when I feel like I don't feel like hefting the 50R, the pancake may make the difference between leaving it at home or taking it with me.

    I still don't understand why Fuji are doing this. Maybe they think that the forthcoming 45-100 is going to eat their baby but I can't see why that would happen. Maybe they just made too many of them and need to recoup the outlay. Maybe they are just nice folks who like their community of users!

    LouisB
    Louis, that nifty G50 is perfect on my 50S, it'll be more than perfect on your 50R.

    Happy shooting ...

    Krgds.
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Size and weight are not an issue for me.
    Pfff, that's because you always bring the pickup ...

    Bart ...

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    FWIW - Dpreview's snaps with this half-price lens: Across the American West
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    I picked up my order of the 50/3.5 today and on the way back home took a couple of test shots.

    Just to give some context, here are two photographs of the lens itself.

    This is the lens on my 50R with the 45/28 next to it.


    This is what I had hoped for. The 50R with the lens attached fits inside my tiny Crumpler 'Lollipop' case.


    Preliminary results - it's a Fujinon, it's what you would expect. Sharp, detailed photographs with good contrast. f11, iso800 1/80 (click through for 32Mb full sized jpeg)


    A test wide open at f3.5. The focus point was on the railway arches in the centre of the frame. Not bad but sharpness falls off at the edges - although that might be due to the depth of field at f3.5. I'll have to do more tests.


    Not sure about where this leaves me, owning the 45/2.8 and 63/2.8. The lens fulfils an interesting need for real portability. It would make a good companion for the GF 30/3.5 which has been announced.
    -----
    "My photography books", Flickr Stream
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Melbourne AU
    Posts
    513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    91

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    I do not need another lens...
    I do Not need another lens...
    I DO NOT NEED another lens...
    I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER LENS...
    I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER LENS...
    Instagram
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    4,741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelorus View Post
    I do not need another lens...
    I do Not need another lens...
    I DO NOT NEED another lens...
    I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER LENS...
    I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER LENS...
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  15. #15
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelorus View Post
    I do not need another lens...
    I do Not need another lens...
    I DO NOT NEED another lens...
    I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER LENS...
    I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER LENS...
    Think of it as half a lens. Or, at that price, a quarter of a lens. See? Much better!
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,061
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    I don't think Fuji know how to make a bad lens ...

    I'm a bit like KH - very happy with the 45/2.8 and asking myself do I really need another lens in the 32-63 range - since I have the zoom - and then I say oh yeah but light and compact and then I say oh yeah thats why you got an XT-3 or a CL...and round and round the merry go round..
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Melbourne AU
    Posts
    513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    91

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    Thanks Matt and Peter...I'm doing exactly what Peter is at the moment....

    I'm also wondering what to carry the X-Pro 3 in. Like Peter and the XT-3 I bought it as the carry around camera but I need something to put it in...GAS
    Instagram
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    4,741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    Here is an interesting comparison:

    35MM Equivalent Lens Comparison
    https://fcracer.com/35mm-equivalent-...on/#conclusion

    Quote:


    A comparison needs to have stack ranking, and you’ll find that below. I ranked them based on Sharpness, Bokeh and Value. Let me know if you agree with the assessment below based on what you see above or from your own experiences in using these lenses. Would you rank them differently?
    Sharpness Bokeh Value
    1. GF45
    2. GF50
    3. Summilux
    4. XF23
    1. GF45
    2. Summilux
    3. GF50
    4. XF23
    1. GF50
    2. GF45
    3. Summilux
    4. XF23


    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,061
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Here is an interesting comparison:

    35MM Equivalent Lens Comparison
    https://fcracer.com/35mm-equivalent-...on/#conclusion

    Quote:


    A comparison needs to have stack ranking, and you’ll find that below. I ranked them based on Sharpness, Bokeh and Value. Let me know if you agree with the assessment below based on what you see above or from your own experiences in using these lenses. Would you rank them differently?
    Sharpness Bokeh[/TH
    [TH="class: has-text-align-left, align: left"]Value
    1. GF45
    2. GF50
    3. Summilux
    4. XF23
    1. GF45
    2. Summilux
    3. GF50
    4. XF23
    1. GF50
    2. GF45
    3. Summilux
    4. XF23



    Very useful link - thanks KH and just as I/we suspected - the 45/2.8 is an absolutely awesome lens to shoot wide open for the GFX system at F5.6+ they all seem to my eye to be pretty much the same. Even a die hard Leica fanboy for decades like me - can not ignore the tremendous advances that Fuji has made - unbeatable value across both its X and G lines - but I have to admit that my Leicas just 'feel' nicer in the hand - this is all that I can say about the difference and as far as image quality output goes -I have not used a better camera than the GFX - except for maybe the original Leica M monochrom - which I sincerely regret ever selling - so I am going to buy a refurbished one from Leica and fix that error. I so wish Fuji would make a monochrom camera- I'd buy it faster than you can say - gimme!
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #20
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    4,741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Very useful link - thanks KH and just as I/we suspected - the 45/2.8 is an absolutely awesome lens to shoot wide open for the GFX system at F5.6+ they all seem to my eye to be pretty much the same.

    Even a die hard Leica fanboy for decades like me - can not ignore the tremendous advances that Fuji has made - unbeatable value across both its X and G lines - but I have to admit that my Leicas just 'feel' nicer in the hand - this is all that I can say about the difference

    and as far as image quality output goes -I have not used a better camera than the GFX - except for maybe the original Leica M monochrom - which I sincerely regret ever selling - so I am going to buy a refurbished one from Leica and fix that error. I so wish Fuji would make a monochrom camera- I'd buy it faster than you can say - gimme!
    Thanks Peter. Good luck to you with getting a Leica M monochrome.

    After waiting for 3 months, on 2009.12.31 I finally received my M9, my one and only Leica camera that I still have but have not used in a long while. I still use a few of my sizable Leica lens collection, but on cameras made by Fuji and Sony, mostly on Sony as the TechArt Pro (TAP) lens adapter adds autofocus as a key ingredient to the mix.

    Currently I have 2 favorite cameras, the Fuji 50S and Sony A9 that excel in their particular areas, the A9 for action/tele shots, the 50S for everything else, although the A9 is an outstanding multipurpose tool. I find that both camera makers have an excellent set of lenses.

    Two images by Bart de Vries (alias Knorp), taken with the GF32-64 and GF250 on the 50S and the prospect of the GFX100, convinced me to acquire a GFX system. I have a hard time singling out a particular lens from my 6 GF lenses - namely GF 23, 32-64, 45, 110, 120, 250, and 1.4x TC - as all of them are capable of generating on my 50S sublime and technically outstanding images. Consequently so far I have not felt the need to add the GFX 100, when it became available, or replicate the equivalent GF focal range on my Sony FFs.
    With best regards, K-H.

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,061
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Peter. Good luck to you with getting a Leica M monochrome.

    After waiting for 3 months, on 2009.12.31 I finally received my M9, my one and only Leica camera that I still have but have not used in a long while. I still use a few of my sizable Leica lens collection, but on cameras made by Fuji and Sony, mostly on Sony as the TechArt Pro (TAP) lens adapter adds autofocus as a key ingredient to the mix.

    Currently I have 2 favorite cameras, the Fuji 50S and Sony A9 that excel in their particular areas, the A9 for action/tele shots, the 50S for everything else, although the A9 is an outstanding multipurpose tool. I find that both camera makers have an excellent set of lenses.

    Two images by Bart de Vries (alias Knorp), taken with the GF32-64 and GF250 on the 50S and the prospect of the GFX100, convinced me to acquire a GFX system. I have a hard time singling out a particular lens from my 6 GF lenses - namely GF 23, 32-64, 45, 110, 120, 250, and 1.4x TC - as all of them are capable of generating on my 50S sublime and technically outstanding images. Consequently so far I have not felt the need to add the GFX 100, when it became available, or replicate the equivalent GF focal range on my Sony FFs.
    I am back and forth in my mind whether to buy the new M10M or a refurbished monochrom - the main reason being I have so many fantastic shots made with M9/MM and so many great memories. These days I prefer to shoot between 21- 90mm (in 35mm terms) and I prefer primes. After trying M lenses on the GFX50 and 100 I decided that the Fuji lenses were far better on the GFX. I have 23/45/32-63/110/2 and 250+TC) I've kept a few M lenses and significantly reduced my previous inventory as the SL crons are the best glass ever made by Leica.

    If I needed a long telephoto - I would buy a Sony A9 and the fast tele you've recently picked up - best in class everything no doubt! I think Sony have the best overall ecosystem in the market however the bodies are a bit on the small side for me which makes shooting difficult - hence the SL2 as my big boy35mm choice I can pick and choose the primes I want and supplement with any fill ins from Panasonic or Sigma - both of whom make good lenses.

    all the best
    Pete
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    4,741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    Thanks Peter.

    I have on all my cameras a battery grip permanently attached.
    That seems to solve the “too small” camera problem pretty effectively.
    Also for the A9 I have 6 batteries, 2 in A9 with grip, 4 in one Sony charger.
    The A9 with grip and TAP nicely balances the Summilux-R 80/1.4.
    Shot wide open it seems to compete with the GF110 on the 50S.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,061
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Peter.

    I have on all my cameras a battery grip permanently attached.
    That seems to solve the “too small” camera problem pretty effectively.
    Also for the A9 I have 6 batteries, 2 in A9 with grip, 4 in one Sony charger.
    The A9 with grip and TAP nicely balances the Summilux-R 80/1.4.
    Shot wide open it seems to compete with the GF110 on the 50S.
    Yes I tried the grip route with the original A7R - still no good. It is the reason why I don't shoot much with the XT-3 too small - even with grip....never liked the grip on the 50S or my original SL - not perfect fits and have a tendency to come loose - especially the 50S in my experience.

    meh these are minor nitpicks!

    I'd be interested in your opinion on the new L mount crons if you ever get to try them out - one warning though - if you do try you will want to buy.

    Pete

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

    Interesting to read the discussion about Leica cameras above.

    The 50S and now the 50R, even more so, are the only digital cameras I have owned since disposing of all my Leica kit back in 2012 (which included film bodies as well) that give me so much satisfaction taking the shot and also processing it.

    My Fuji XF system is a great workhorse but almost characterless in use. The little Ricoh GRIII is close to the same level I feel when using the 50R but a totally different camera.

    I did own a Leica Q for a time and thought it would be with me forever but after using it for a year I realised I just didn't like it and I sold it as I couldn't justify owning such an expensive beast and having it sit on my shelf.

    Who'd a thought that Fuji would come from behind with such an amazing system?

    LouisB
    -----
    "My photography books", Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •