The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX 50R firmware upgrade trials and tribulations

gurtch

OK...I am 83 years of age. I am a Mechanical Engineer (retired, of course); I have a Master's Degree. I could not figure out how to upgrade the firmware. It appeared to me I was to download the firmware to a newly formatted memory card, then put the card in the camera and update the firmware. I did not know until I reverted to Youtube and watched a Fuji Representative show me how to do it that the "bell in my brain" rang. Once I found out that first you down load the update (and nothing told me it was down loading) to my PC, and then copy it to the memory card, was I able to do it. I use a PC with Windows 10, and by default downloads go to a folder called "DOWNLOADS" (what else?). Fortunately the Fuji rep also warned that if I had downloaded the file more than once, the PC would give them new names, adding (1), (2), etc. Sure enough, since I did not know what I was doing, I down loaded the upgrade file 8 times and the PC gave them all different names. I deleted the newly named files and only copied the original file to the memory card. That was another question I had: where on the card should I install it? I "dragged and dropped" the upgrade file directly on the memory card icon, and it worked. So now I have my GFX 50R running the latest firmware. If I ever have to do another firmware upgrade, it will not be a problem, but it seams each camera maker has their own method of upgrading. I also use Sony (A7RIV) and came from Nikon and Canon.
I am embarrassed, but maybe my trial and error may help someone out there. Stay safe.
Dave in NJ