The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Leitz 21mm f/3.4 Super-Angulon M-mount

kermaier

Leitz 21mm f/3.4 Super-Angulon -- $1395

With a heavy heart, my 21/3.4 SA and I have decided to part ways. I bought this lens on RFF about 18 months ago, and spent 6 months and a lot of money restoring it to good working order. After a year spent learning to use it on my R-D1, I've not succeeded in making it mine, photographically speaking. I absolutely adore the work using this lens that some have shown on RFF (particularly helenhill) and elsewhere (especially from Jean-Loup Sieff). Alas, my vision and skill fall well short of their amazing ability to extract images of such beauty and character from this great, classic lens.

This lens is in wonderful optical and mechanical condition for someone who intends to use it, but collectors should probably look elsewhere for pristine cosmetics.

- Cosmetics: Plenty of wear, scuffs and scratches to the chrome finish. Small dent to the front outer rim (see pictures), that I had Don Goldberg straighten so as to have no impact on the inner filter threads. The pictures show the chrome finish at its worst; other than that, this lens is in great condition.

- Glass: Nearly perfect, since John Van Stelten at FocalPoint cleaned some haze out of the front element group and re-cemented the rear element group to cure some separation. Maybe a couple of miniscule cleaning marks, but I'd be hard-pressed to point them out. One tiny (I mean, really tiny) smudge on the rear element, which might come off with a bit of lens cleaning fluid, but I don't think it's worth the risk of scrubbing at it.

- Aperture: Perfect -- DAG rebuilt the diaphragm (don't ask), and overhauled the aperture ring and linkage. No oil or anything like that.

- Focus: Excellent -- DAG overhauled the focus mechanism for me, and now it's smooth and properly damped. Maybe doesn't feel quite like a brand-new lens, but close.

All the service and restoration work mentioned above was completed approximately 1 year ago, and the lens has given me no trouble since. My price isn't particularly low, but you can rest assured that you won't need to send the lens for a CLA. ;)

Included with the lens are:

- Leitz 12501M hood: Plenty of little nicks and scuffs, but no breaks or major chips, and it fits perfectly and snugly on the lens.

- Leitz (14042?) rear cap: I'm not sure if it's the exact original cap of the same vintage as this lens, but it's a black metal cap of the correct size and shape, with a nice pebbled texture, stamped with the Leitz script, in great condition. Any original Leitz deep rear cap that fits the 21/3.4 is a bit of a rarity.

- Leitz 14102P front cap: These are pretty hard to find, for some reason. Very nice condition and does its job perfectly.

- Hoya Series VII UV(0) filter: Used condition, some small marks.

I also have a few extra SA-related accessories that I'll sell separately, if anyone is interested. BTW, I'm pretty sure (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the 21/3.4 SA caps and shade also fit the first 2 versions of the 28/2.8 Elmarit-M.

- Leitz 12501M hood -- $80: This an extra hood I have, somewhat more worn than the one I'm including with the lens, but in good working order.

- Leitz 14102P front cap -- $40: An extra front cap I ended up with, also in used condition, but no issues.

- Leica 14040 shade cap -- $20: This is intended for the modern 35/1.4 Summilux Aspherical, but it happens to fit perfectly on the Super-Angulon's shade as well! Great item, as it allows you to cover your lens without dismounting the shade, either on the camera or in the bag. Like new in box.

- Generic deep M rear cap -- $10: Well-made, aftermarket, metal rear cap that fits the 21/3.4 SA. Also works nicely for carrying collapsible lenses like a 50mm Elmar in collapsed state.

- Leitz 52.5mm metal front cap -- $30: I believe this push-on cap was originally from a vintage Leitz projector lens, but it fits nicely on the 21/3.4 SA. This cap has a slimmer and shallower profile than the original 14102P cap, so its grip on the front of the lens isn't as vise-like on the street, but it stays on fine in the bag or on the shelf. The cool thing about this cap (other than the nifty grey hammertone paint finish) is that it's slim enough to let you fit your 21/3.4 SA into a Voigtlander VL-2 lens case (with a finder in the upper compartment, of course).

Administrivia

All prices include PayPal fees, but shipping is additional at cost. (Of course, if you buy any of the extra items with the lens, it won't really cost you any additional shipping.)

USA buyers are preferred, but I'll consider international deals on a case-by-case basis. Local pickup in NYC or Bergen County, NJ is also possible.

Please, as a courtesy to me and other buyers, no "PM sent" posts unless your PM is a straight-up offer to buy at my asking price.

Although I'm mostly looking for cash here, since I'm brutally afflicted by chronic GAS, there's always the possibility of enticing me to trade for another lens or something. I'm just saying.... ;)

Last edited: