Site Sponsors

Thread: SCAM ALERT! New fairly unsophisticated scam here in B&S

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

SCAM ALERT! New fairly unsophisticated scam here in B&S

I recently posted a "want to buy" ad for a lens. I have received two private messages with the following text:

"Email jackson in Texas He has a Leica 90-280 SL lens*for sale. Here's his email [email protected]" from a new user SMIKKY with zero posts,

and

"Contact Richard He has a Leica 90-280 SL lens for sale. Here's his email [email protected]" from a new user ADAM1 also with zero posts.

When I contacted one of the email addresses, the person said they have no feedback on any sites, they have a "private store" in Missouri, and they didn't reply to my request for pictures of the lens with a spoon in the photo, a technique often used to validate sellers.

Be aware of these fairly unsophisticated scam attempts. Never buy or sell to users with no history and no feedback.
    Brad Husick
    Thanks 10 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SCAM ALERT! New fairly unsophisticated scam here in B&S

I think I got the same for my profoto D4 4800 air:

Quote Originally Posted by canoman
    Hello

are you still interested in buying this items?

contact me via [email protected],As soon as i hear from you,i will email you some photos and details

best regard

Post Thanks / Like

Also similarly contacted by an account with the username: 'smikky' Obvious SCAM

Post Thanks / Like

Pic with a spoon is really a smart move!!

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from buy/sell on forums I do some local trades on Craigslist. Despite "no shipping, local sale only" I get emails with addresses that a kindergartner would flag as scam. Basically, "I will pay you via PayPal, send me your PayPal email and you ship it to me". The way it works, you will actually get a payment and then a chargeback or a box with bricks if you ask for your gear back.

Recently connected two scammers together, by emailing them their respective emails that they gave me and apparently one of them sent money to the other. They are still fighting over it.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I got contacted by the Smikky half-wit as well, and I wasn't even looking for anything, merely commented on a wanted listing.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

In this sense, FM Buy/Sell is better protected, as their Upload and Sell requires a payment. The halfwits will not invest a single dollar into their scams and are more rarely present there I think.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by braver View Post
    In this sense, FM Buy/Sell is better protected, as their Upload and Sell requires a payment. The halfwits will not invest a single dollar into their scams and are more rarely present there I think.
    +1
    FM is the best forum for buying and selling I have found.
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by braver View Post
    The scammers canít post there, but they can (and do!) reply to WTB ads. Pretty easy to separate the wheat from the chaff there... great feedback system. I think Iíve only purchased from someone with no feedback once, but it was easy to tell they were legit.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with med. The issue is not the postet ads, but the replies to WTB posts. But by asking about their track history either here or elsewhere it's easy to spot scam. But I'm also rather too careful, meaning that I skip the one or the other offer where it's somewhere in between.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    I recently posted a "want to buy" ad for a lens. I have received two private messages with the following text:

"Email jackson in Texas He has a Leica 90-280 SL lens*for sale. Here's his email [email protected]" from a new user SMIKKY with zero posts,

and

"Contact Richard He has a Leica 90-280 SL lens for sale. Here's his email [email protected]" from a new user ADAM1 also with zero posts.

When I contacted one of the email addresses, the person said they have no feedback on any sites, they have a "private store" in Missouri, and they didn't reply to my request for pictures of the lens with a spoon in the photo, a technique often used to validate sellers.

Be aware of these fairly unsophisticated scam attempts. Never buy or sell to users with no history and no feedback.
    The Adam1 nitwit said Robert has it, I emailed "Robert", who replied as "Richard". I asked why, and he's like, What do you mean, Richard is my personal assistant, he answers email when I'm making deliveries. I asked for references and he sent 3 random gmails and a phone of some guy.