Site Sponsors

Thread: Need some help....

Post Thanks / Like

Need some help....found the answer.....

Found the answer I think (not to fix the monopod, but for a bushing that will go from 1/4" to 3/8")

I have an older Manfrotto 434SSB monopod with the dual 1/4" and 3/8" screw on top. The 3/8" sort of slides down to let the 1/4" screw be usable. I tried that (screwing the G1 directly onto the monopod--which doesn't work for me)--and now can't get the 1/4" outer screw part to pop back up. Any suggestions. I've used a small thin object to push down' on that outer part (which is pushed down flat with the head mounting platform. I vaugely remember this happening once before but don't remember what I did to correct it.

Assuming that I can't get that 3/8" back up--is there anything that I can attach/screw on to use a 3/8" head??
    Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 20th September 2009 at 10:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Need some help....

Diane,
    I don't know that piece of gear, but there are adapters that have a 3/8 thread on the outside and a 1/4 in thread on the inside.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bob. After my husband and I tried working on the monopod, I searched for some adaptor--found bushings from Manfrotto (I'll search B & H for those) and some Taiwan screw company that should work--

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I recently picked up a bushing for exactly this purpose at a photo store. They charged my a dollar or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RRS sells these as well. Good to have around!

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does the 3/8" part have to turn along the 1/4" threads to come up? Try pushing down hard with a piece of rubber tubing that just slips over the 1/4" stud and twisting like you're unscrewing. Maybe it's just a matter of getting a grip on it to turn.

I'm not familiar with that monopod but IMHO what you describe can't be made strong enough unless the 3/8" bushing threads along the 1/4" stud.
    α900+VG|F20|2xF58|16-35,24-70,135Z|STF|70-400G|50,85 1.4|16,20,28,100M,80-200APO f/2.8|28-135|500f/8|1x-3xMacro|2xMFC-1000|Tiltall+RRS, Bellows, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. As many know, this forum has some great helpful folks. Stephen Gilbert PMed me that he had just the bushing (from RRS) I needed and would send it to me, no charge--and its on its way. How nice is THAT???? Thanks to Stephen--and to everyone else that offered some help.

Diane