The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best super portable tripod?

Rawfa

Hi Guys,

In one of my trips I saw this guy take this 15cm tripod and extend it to around 130cm! Now THAT is what I call a portable tripod you can take anywhere. Does this ring the bell to anyone? I'd really like to get a hold of one of these.

thanks,

Rafa

simonclivehughes

Don't know what it is, but it sounds like it would be highly susceptible to shake. A tripod is pretty useless unless it's sturdy and steady... defeats the purpose otherwise.

Cheers,

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I had the first version of the current Gitzo GT-1541T Traveler 6x Carbon Fiber Tripod. I used it with my GX-100, LX2 and M8. It is very pricey, but very portable. You might find a Gitzo that would be a little heavier, but that would work with that new D90, too (and would be cheaper).
Have you considered the Leica tabletop tripod and ballhead? It is very small when folded, very sturdy, and can be used like a stock. You can brace it against your body and walk around while shooting. Mine fits right in the back flap of my camera bag.

simonclivehughes

For point & shoot type cameras, I use either a Manfrotto tabletop tripod (it has a mini ball head too), or a small beanbag I made from leather. Very compact but very effective. (The Manfrotto is very similar to the Leica, but much less expensive.)

Ciao,

kdphotography

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on getting a smaller and lighter travel tripod---but a few months back when I was doing comparisons---it came down to a Markins Q3 head and a Feisol 3442. Legs fold over the head to make it more compact. Small and light---yet still "usable" for its intended purpose. Length about twenty inches and three pounds..

simonclivehughes

Anyone use a Gorillapod?
Robert,

Yes, I bought one but I find it only useful for wrapping around something (like a railing), otherwise it doesn't seem to have enough support to do the job (on a flatter surface). Too specific.

Since I can effectively do the same with my beanbag, and do it much faster, I don't use the Gorillapod at all.

Cheers,