Images

limited print edtions?

found this to be an interesting read:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...g_affair.shtml

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: limited print edtions?

Don't agree with it to be honest. In this day and age when there is a perception that all you have to do is hit print as many times as you like, when Alain is telling us exactly what software he used to 'optimised' the image, I'm sorry but it hardly has the 'feel' of fine art.

Adams didn't need editions not with his reputation, more to the point the limitation caused by his passing on has increased the value of the prints he did make by a huge factor which somewhat gives the lie to the idea that limiting an edition doesn't increase value even with the most famous photographers.

Most of all, I've never heard of mass produced fine art and I doubt I'd buy it if it existed. The perception of photography as fine art is tenous enough already, especially outside of the US, without allowing the perception that you could and might print off thousands of the things...
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the link. Here is another.

Photographers imposing limited editions in this day and age has nothing to do with the reason editions originally were limited, and everything to do with making money from gullible customers. It's a scam, pure and simple, and one from which the photographer ultimately loses the most.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post

Most of all, I've never heard of mass produced fine art and I doubt I'd buy it if it existed. The perception of photography as fine art is tenous enough already, especially outside of the US, without allowing the perception that you could and might print off thousands of the things...
    So, the only ART in photography is in the print? And here I thought the basics of photography were framing and content. I'll take a shitty print of a great photo over a great print of a shitty photo.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But I wouldn't buy a bad print period. We're talking about the buying public here and they won't pay unless they perceive value. If you want to sell at higher end prices then you have to create value over and above poster prices. With a painting we are talking about an original. What has photography got to offer? Especially when photographers think that a good picture is enough to create art sales. It isn't. Not by a long stretch. You have to market value. Quality, exclusivity, etc, etc. Otherwise all you have is stock photography for poster sales, value, practically nil.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In painting, it is not unheard of for a painter to paint more than one painting of a subject. One of the richest painter in the US was Thomas Kincade. Quality and exclusivity is in the eye of the beholder.

Fortunately, the judge in this case has sense:

US Judge rules for Eggleston in dispute with collector: Digital Photography Review

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    But I wouldn't buy a bad print period.
    Would you take down (and discard) your Moonrise, Hernandez if all the neighbors had one?

You have to market value. Quality, exclusivity, etc, etc. Otherwise all you have is stock photography for poster sales, value, practically nil.
    What an interesting contrast with another art form, music!

-drofnad