Site Sponsors

Thread: Showing grid overlay with Aperture

Post Thanks / Like

Showing grid overlay with Aperture

Hi guys,
    I'm trying out aperture at the moment and there is a lot about it that I like for the way i do my raw processing, tethered shooting, etc.
    One thing I just can't find though.
    Is it possible to show a grid lines overlay on an image to check straight lines?
    I know if you use the straighten tool and click on the image and move it a grid come sup but that's not good for me as the image is no longer straight!

Thanks,

Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Showing grid overlay with Aperture

selecting the crop tool and holding down the Apple or Command key gives you a rule of thirds grid if that helps

Kevin

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wilson View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm trying out aperture at the moment and there is a lot about it that I like for the way i do my raw processing, tethered shooting, etc.
    One thing I just can't find though.
    Is it possible to show a grid lines overlay on an image to check straight lines?
    I know if you use the straighten tool and click on the image and move it a grid come sup but that's not good for me as the image is no longer straight!

Thanks,

Marc
    Click on F to make the image full screen, then click on the straighten tool from the top menu bar (to the left of the crop tool) and when you click on the image it'll show a detailed grid and the straight (or crooked) lines.

Kevin's answer is just as good . . . just different!
    . . .

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys.
    tried them both and the crop tool one only works if you have actually drawn a crop area...and the straighten one only when you click on the image...which often moves so no good either.

I'm basically trying to get a simple overlay grid for when shooting tethered interiors.

whilst I'm here...although the apple site states the 5d can not be tethered without OS 10.5 it does work fine with 10.4.
    Does anyone have any experience with other newer cameras tethered..ie. 5dmkII, 1dsmkIII?

I'm trying to find the best software option for my needs...and wish I could take a bit from C1, a bit from aperture and a bit from LR into one piece of software!

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ah so you are shooting tethered... why not just print out a grid on acetate and stick it over the screen :-)

K