Site Sponsors

Thread: Sticking with LR2

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sticking with LR2

After working extensively with Aperture and Lightroom, I have decided to stick with Lightroom. Aperture is very nice, the plugin structure is great (LR needs plugin support of this caliber) but I cannot wrap my head around their filing metaphor.

LR works well in my workflow and I can grind out images very quickly. Maybe when LR2 is released, we'll see some plugin development in earnest.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sticking with LR2

Interesting. I just received a book on Aperture today and was going to teach it to myself. It just seemed like so much of the mac web, iphone etc. was being integrated that I would give it a try. I do worry because I've gotten fast with Lightroom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry :
    i have Aperture
    i downloaded it on one of my macs
    I think you have TWO downloads with it
    If you'd like, I will give it to you.... as a gift
    I'm not keen on Aperture

best- H

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Helen,
    I have it. Just time to decide if I like it.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    but I cannot wrap my head around their filing metaphor.
    Would you be kind enough to expand on this a bit... I'm not sure what it is that you're referring to. I use Aperture but check the box when importing to leave the files in their original location. This leaves me free to choose any filing system I like without worrying about a third party library.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The library metaphor in Aperture is event-centric, similar to iPhoto. I use Photo Mechanic to import my photos and automatically file them by camera and date based on EXIF info. I could do the same in Aperture, but it's almost automatic in LR. Also, I find rearranging the library in Aperture tedious. Culling photos is much faster for me in LR and plugins for borders and effects run much faster in LR. I am holding my hopes for Bibble 5 as that is the fastest RAW converter I have ever used. I just hope that they get the profiling and printing fixed.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    The library metaphor in Aperture is event-centric, similar to iPhoto.
    You can use it any way you want - certainly doesn't need to be 'event-centric'.

I have a folder for each month in each place . . . e.g.

2008 07 Suffolk.
    or
    2008 06 Billy & Esther Weding

I then make a project in Aperture for that place

I then have sub folders for each camera I've used. . .i.e.
    D3
    E3
    M8
    GX100

I keep adding photos to the folder, and keep a tick in the checkbox not to add duplicates. It's great, but not 'in control' like iphoto. You can do it the way you want to.

As for moving stuff - do it in the finder - Aperture knows!

Sheesh, I shouldn't be arguing the toss, but this was the big reason why I decided to go for Aperture rather than Lightroom back in the version 1 days - with version 2 I'm even more convinced.

I've never ever heard anyone say that organisation was better in Lightroom (lots of other things, but not organisation).

As for culling - hit the - key for ones you don't want, then when you've finished choose 'delete versions' tick 'move to trash' and it's done . . . how COULD it be easier?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Umm, because I've accidentally deleted source RAW files in Aperture (thank the Maker for Time Machine). As for culling, I prefer the LR method of selecting the ones I want into a Quick Collection and then working with that group.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seems like a toss up which boils down to a matter of preference. The more I use Aperture the better I like it. It's not perfect and takes some getting used to but I see no compelling reason to go back to LR. YMMV.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You are right David, it is a matter of preference. My temperament and need for multiplatform (I have a Mac Pro & and Vista Notebook) support make LR2 the right choice for me.

tetsrfun

LR2 is released.

Steve

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    LR2 is released.

Steve
    FYI, if downloading the upgrade, the required serial # is not the original but a new # e-mailed to you. I was getting irritated until I figured that out.*g*

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pulled down the trial version already. Will order the upgrade when I get paid.