Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Need to tag, categorize and index 60 000 images - HELP !

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Need to tag, categorize and index 60 000 images - HELP !



    I landed a huge high budget job for tagging, categorizing and indexing of more than 60 000images that are jumbled up between eras, formats, cities, and digital formats .

    The work is for a local museum which will be paying us 50% up front and 50% after delivery.

    I never needed something to tag and categorize so many images of different formats, id like to convert all images into one image format and be able to tag,keyword and categorize as painlessly as possible...

    Do you have some suggestions for the software to use, Mac or Windows ...

    I went head first into this without really thinking about it enough please help
    Last edited by Karlo; 6th July 2012 at 08:46.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need to tag, categorize and index 60 000 images - HELP !

    Photo Mechanic is probably the best bet.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need to tag, categorize and index 60 000 images - HELP !

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaladhi View Post
    Photo Mechanic is probably the best bet.
    Their "Catalog" feature is still in "Coming Soon" phase listed on their site... I'm downloading the demo as i type this, any other suggestions ?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need to tag, categorize and index 60 000 images - HELP !

    Still looking for first hand suggestions not internet lists... What do you guys use ?

  5. #5
    Subscriber gogopix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need to tag, categorize and index 60 000 images - HELP !

    Quote Originally Posted by Karlo View Post
    Still looking for first hand suggestions not internet lists... What do you guys use ?
    Actually ACDSEE has gotten quite good. You can create categories, import keywords for adobe PS and bRIDGE AND EVEN THE STARS FROM C1.

    Also, it has the best rendering of final image I have see and quite fast

    regards
    Victor

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Need to tag, categorize and index 60 000 images - HELP !

    Aperture, one stop, works really well, leave images where they are

    Just this guy you know

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need to tag, categorize and index 60 000 images - HELP !

    Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    Actually ACDSEE has gotten quite good. You can create categories, import keywords for adobe PS and bRIDGE AND EVEN THE STARS FROM C1.

    Also, it has the best rendering of final image I have see and quite fast

    regards
    Victor
    Ahh good old ACDSEE, haven't heard of it in a while now. Thanks !

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Aperture, one stop, works really well, leave images where they are
    Aperture always seemed interesting, i am used to working with lightroom so this should be not a huge problem to learn.

    Thanks guys!
    Still looking for suggestions, I'll be trying the software throughout next week so I'm happy to hear your ideas guys.

    Thanks!

  8. #8
    Senior Member danielmoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    18

    Re: Need to tag, categorize and index 60 000 images - HELP !

    I recently set about a similar task with my own mess and tried Phase One's Media Pro
    I specifically wanted to see if it could create a colection and manage tens of thousands of images, which it did, without crashing. Reopening the database and searching it was handled without issue. It's worth taking a look at.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need to tag, categorize and index 60 000 images - HELP !

    Quote Originally Posted by danielmoore View Post
    I recently set about a similar task with my own mess and tried Phase One's Media Pro
    I specifically wanted to see if it could create a colection and manage tens of thousands of images, which it did, without crashing. Reopening the database and searching it was handled without issue. It's worth taking a look at.
    The deployable catalog that is a standalone application that does not need licensing is what i think will make me go with the P1 Media Pro. Thanks a million !
    Last edited by Karlo; 9th July 2012 at 03:25.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •