Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop goes subscription only

Post Thanks / Like

Photoshop goes subscription only

Well I've given my last penny to Adobe with PS CS6 as future versions of the creative suit goes subscription only and CS6 will no longer be updated!

Nice work Adobe - never will I be forced to pay monthly for software. Your one version upgrade was bad enough but this is too much.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Photoshop goes subscription only

Agree. I will not buy a subscription either. Looks like CS6 creative suite will be on my computers a long time. I have a couple adjectives for them but will be a nice guy for now.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is a serious issue here because Camera Raw updates are never backwards compatible- newer updates usually require a newer version of Ps. Its a kind of hostage taking of our images in my opinion. I know there are alternatives, but Ps is kind of like a carpenters hammer- hard to be without.

I hope the twitters push back heavy. At least unbundle Camera Raw updates and make them backwards compatible so that when the 5Dmk whatever comes out and someone buys it they then won't be required to subscribe just to see their Raw files.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry to cross post, but this sounds like a quick cash grab. So many people are talking of upgrading to CS6, that a natural move on Adobe's part is to wait a few months, then apologize and re-offer the old purchase method. They make a killing, and their victims.. er.. customers are grateful.

And if Camera Raw is unbundled, what's to say it won't go back to the cloud next month? Adobe has lost credibility.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robertwright View Post
    There is a serious issue here because Camera Raw updates are never backwards compatible- newer updates usually require a newer version of Ps. Its a kind of hostage taking of our images in my opinion. I know there are alternatives, but Ps is kind of like a carpenters hammer- hard to be without.
    RAW processing in PS is painfully slow and there are much better alternatives on the market. I personally only upgraded from CS3 for the background save option as there is very little if anything else in CS6 worth upgrading for.

Now Adobe has taken my choice away to upgrade and pay the money or be happy whit what I'm using option, coupled with the dev team seem to have totally run out of steam inventing new features I'm going remain on CS6 indefinitely.

I'm not going to complain, tweet, email poke or post my dissatisfaction to Adobe but instead under its current subscription mind set I'll keep quiet happy that they will never see a penny from me again and I hope people follow and show Adobe who's really in charge.

Digital download only I'm ok with (AKA Apple Mac App store) but subscription software.....? meh!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the twitters push back heavy. At least unbundle Camera Raw updates and make them backwards compatible so that when the 5Dmk whatever comes out and someone buys it they then won't be required to subscribe just to see their Raw files.
    +1 I suspect for many of us, continual upgrades to later versions of Adobe CS was simply or often primarily due to having the ability to obtain the latest Camera RAW updates which were necessary for recently released cameras. Case in point, the Nikon D800/e were some of the last cameras to be included in the Camera RAW updates for CS5 and if someone obtained a Nikon D600, they then had to upgrade to CS6 in order to have Camera Raw ability with that camera. Adobe simply wouldn't make updates for Camera Raw after a certain point with newly released cameras for previosu versions of CS.

As far as I could see, adding cameras like the Nikon D600 to the Camera Raw of CS5 had nothing to do with the CS5 engine specifically but was simply a way to force many to upgrade to CS6.

So I suspect Adobe may be banking on individuals who obtain new cameras that will only work with the latest versions of Camera RAW and future versions "only" of Adobe CS, will feel they have no other choice but to move to their subscription model. If they stay with their current CS6, then new cameras they might not use, will have to use a RAW converter from another source...but won't be able to use Adobe Camera RAW, unless they un-bundle Camera RAW and make updating it available separately.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    I suspect for many of us, continual upgrades to later versions of Adobe CS was simply or often primarily due to having the ability to obtain the latest Camera RAW updates which were necessary for recently released cameras.
    That has certainly been true for me, though the latest ACR has some useful improvements beyond compatibility with the latest cameras. But as for functionality within Photoshop itself, CS3 was already more than I need.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I hardly touch Photoshop anymore, 99% of all my image processing runs through Lightroom 4 and, if I need spot touch ups or effects, into Snapseed or Flare. If those didn't do the job, I'd get Photoshop Elements if I didn't already have PSCS5.

Lightroom is not part of the Creative Suite so it should continue to be offered standalone ... and it solves the "keeping up to date on raw processing support" business nicely.

My needs are simple, LR is the only Adobe product I use with any regularity now. I know that not everyone can do the same as I.

However, if I do need the Creative Suite for some serious project that I couldn't do otherwise, I'd have no problem opening a subscription to the Creative Suite Cloud (or whatever they call it) for however long I needed it, then closing the subscription. Seems a fair savings to me, as I'd only be paying for it when I needed it and I would always have the latest, full suite of tools at my disposal. Without having to put out $1500 in a lump for a lot of stuff I only use very occasionally.

G

Post Thanks / Like

The triumph of the bean counters. A strange thing happens in some very large companies. They start believing their own publicity. The corporate ego swells, they think they are invincible and they start to take their customers for granted. Phase One Capture Pro 7 is 229 Euros and Aperture is 55. Adobe have lost the plot. Rather than be forced to follow their business model I'll alter my workflow with a competitive product and use CS6 only when necessary.

Unless you are a large scale operator locked in to numerous Adobe software products, this is a stupid decision.

Olaf

Olaf Willoughby creative explorations in photography

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I already stuck with CS5 as I don't like the new 2012 process in ACR 7. My 5D3 is supported in CS5's ACR. As I don't see myself updating for many years anyway I can happily ignore all this nonsense and by the time I'm back in the market, the competitors will have eaten Adobe's lunch. As for the rest of the features, let's face it, PS has had very little updated in a long while....
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    As for the rest of the features, let's face it, PS has had very little updated in a long while....
    No, the dark background application frame (Mac) and blur gimmick, I mean filter gallery is well worth the 20 per month subscription (sarcastic smiley).

For as long as I've shot digital (1999), I never used ACR in PS as there has always been something better at RAW conversion/DAM. I don't understand why people buy PS for this main feature?

The sooner people realise ACR is an add on to PS and software exists that do equal or better conversions (eg. Lightroom, Capture One etc) then the sooner Adobe might start to give a damn about something other than its customers wallets.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ACR has and always will be a kludge to work with and a shity general purpose raw converter. C1 by far has smoked it on every camera files I have compared it to. THAT'S EVERYONE. Okay I'm bias towards C1 always have been. Sue me. LOL

My biggest issue is the rest of the suite . I use InDesign. Not much I could turn too outside of Quark which sucks.the biggest problem for me is design and of course manipulating files that C1 can't do. Today I used DXO viewpoint to correct some 14mm shots neither C1 nor Photoshop could fix the diagonal distortion. I could buy it in a stand alone version but than I need other stand alone software as well. But again I will not go monthly with them on any terms. I've been screwed by Adobe more than once having 2 legit Adobe programs and can't upgrade to a creative suite. That right there pissed me off to no end. I spent a ton on InDesign and PS and that was not enough for a package upgrade to a suite. Screw them

This WILL bite them in the ***.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    This WILL bite them in the ***.
    +1

I read a little about the new Photoshop CC and the "main" feature they are plugging is an image stabilisation filter that corrects for camera shake?

And I always thought PS was a pro app but it seems Adobe want to turn it into iPhoto - insane!
    Why Adobe, would I want to subscribe if all you give us are theses lame *** gimmicky new features?

Well get a beach scene, green screen gallery next.

Post Thanks / Like

Well at least Adobe will have succeeded in getting rid of all the whiners.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    Well at least Adobe will have succeeded in getting rid of all the whiners.
    Well that is just about every photographer I know!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    I read a little about the new Photoshop CC and the "main" feature they are plugging is an image stabilisation filter that corrects for camera shake?

And I always thought PS was a pro app but it seems Adobe want to turn it into iPhoto - insane!
    Why Adobe, would I want to subscribe if all you give us are theses lame *** gimmicky new features?
    Almost ALL features that PS has can be classified as gimmicks in one sense or the other.

The stabilisation filter is a very powerful tool. What it will be used for and how well would separate the men from the boys, so to say. It can be amateurish, yes.

While I agree that this new cloud crap is not a good development, let us not turn this in to bashing any new features without knowing what they can be used for.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any word of student or educator subscription discounts?

This cloud madness could be the death nail for me and Adobe. As far as I'm concerned, if I've paid for a software license outright or subscribed and paid an equivalent price over a period of time, I should be able to cancel my subscription, forego the updates, and still use the software as it exists at that moment. To lose usage rights outright would be just plain infuriating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This seems the way things are going in general for software vendors.
    There is a bit good
    and a bit bad.
    First the good:
    The subscription model is a much smaller investment for new users who might find only occasional need for some of the more esoteric programs. Looking back on what I have paid for upgrades over the last few years, this will save me a small amount of money.
    From the software developer point of view, it prevents the marketing push for regular "significant" upgrades to keep the revenue stream running and thus their employment.

The bad:
    Folks that are not entering this from scratch have already purchased a bunch of stuff and feel that there is an on-going implicit commitment to keep supporting what they bought in the past forever. Frankly that is just not economically possible given that stuff changes, cameras, image processing technology, underlying operating systems and so forth. There is just not enough revenue unless folks buy support agreements. Support agreements have been tried and have failed.

I have to admit I signed up since there was a couple bits of the suite that I needed but was just too expensive to buy.
    Now I have acces to it at essentially no more cost than keeping up with revisions to photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, and acrobat pro.

Bottom line is that at least for me it will save some small money.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Alternatives will pop up and already are. If you look at ElementsXXL plug-in promises Photoshop features without the pricetag If someone can do that with Elements, someone might just come along and add power to CS6 via a 3rd party plug-in.

Post Thanks / Like

That's an interesting option that I hadn't seen.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Godfrey, I rarely open an image in CS now, and if I do need to, I can open it in tiff from LR4. If Adobe gets their shorts in a twist with LR4, I will seek alternate image solutions. I am not buying into the cloud crap, nor am I renting my software. in other words, BITE ME. lol. I don't need a lot of software, and I can be creative about how I do things. I have 5 versions of CS to choose from. Talk to the hand...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dpreview has an adobe faq where they say that the dng converter will always be available so that if you want to run your raws through it, they will be recognized no matter what versions of camera raw/camera you are configured with.

My opinion, fifty years from now, when I'm very old and grey, I assure you, nothing that we have shot in digital and stored will be around. Either proprietary formats, storage media, poor archiving, whatever it is, its gonna bite- and all this stuff- is going to vanish.

The CC is just another quick step in that direction.

If you are not subscribed to your life and work- POOOF!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Agree. I will not buy a subscription either. Looks like CS6 creative suite will be on my computers a long time. I have a couple adjectives for them but will be a nice guy for now.
    I have some verbs to go along with your adjective for them...
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Adobe has gottten a lot of my money over the years. From very early PS to my current CS6 (as well as lightroom).
    There is NO WAY that I will get a subscription. I am fine in upgrading for new versions if I choose to (I just about always do), but this subscription BS is not for me.
    Bye bye Adobe, CS6 is the end of the run for me.
    Frits

Post Thanks / Like

The CS6 Creative Suite is also the end of the Adobe upgrade ride for me after 17 years. I hate the idea of being forced to pay forever to have the software available for use. Don't pay at some point and you have nothing to fall back on. I hope that a good alternative to Photoshop will become available in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I use PS every day, it is my main tool. I have bought every version since 2.0 which is too long ago to remember when that happened.

This move really feels like extortion to me. I would have preferred Adobe to fix CS6 so it doesn't constantly lose the cursor in mid operation or other annoying bugs.

I will keep using CS6 until I have really no other option anymore, hopefully it will be years before I spend another dime on Adobe and hopefully in the meantime there will be an alternative.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out this video on YouTube filmed in February.The CEO of Adobe answers questions about pricing differences for digitally delivered content in Australia (applies to most, if not all countries outside the US).

Adobe CEO Avoids Answering Questions on Overpricing in Australia - YouTube

This is the guy who thinks the next generation of creative want Creative (slavery) Cloud..... well what about the current generation who don't?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I feel sorry for all those that bought into the Adobe lie of the universal raw format and converted all their native raw file into DNG.

So much for DNG becoming a universal format, I cannot see anyone but Adobe supporting it now and in the future you will have to go on the cloud to open them when your old adobe software no longer works on the latest operating system!

So much for a universal raw format it seems it was just another way for adobe to tie you into them.
    Regards Paul. One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    My Photo Galleries
    My Flickr Photostream

Post Thanks / Like

I've been following this story both here and on Lu-la. I have a different opinion about this move.

It's very very expensive to manage and develop both platforms. I feel they made a good decision to focus on the future. I've seen way too many businesses get stuck into one operating model only to find that a competitor has positioned itself in a spot where the market is heading.

The market is heading to the cloud. This will not be the only software company to make this move, it's just one of the first. I can envision that this will speed up the development and bring PS to tablet devices in a way that is as responsive as the current desktop application.

Think about how computers have gotten more powerful over the last 10 years. The capabilities of today's tablets exceeds much of the compute capacity found in the late 1990's, and the explosion in bandwidth is staggering. It won't be long before your image is uploaded to the cloud as fast as you click the shutter.

To make this move, the underlying code needs a re-write. That isn't cheap to do but if they stay ahead of the market curve by making this investment now it's very possible that Adobe can remain a viable market force for years to come.

Microsoft did it with their MSOffice products but has much deeper pockets to maintain both platforms. They are taking a beating in the market today but I bet you'll soon see Microsoft tables on OS9 easily outpace sales from Apple's iPad. It's the case of being an early mover ahead of market acceptance. It will pay huge dividends for them in several years. I see the same outcome for Adobe.

I'm not one to be the early adopter. I still run Win7 and old MSOffice versions and expect I'll do the same with CS6. It suits my needs today but won't in a few years time.

Everything has gone up in cost over the past 4 years. If you want to complain about over priced photography items, ink seems to be a better place to start.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some nasty revelations about what you are agreeing to when you sign up for the cloud...

MPG blog - Adobe Creative Cloud: Lopsided Legal Agreement
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craftysnapper View Post
    I feel sorry for all those that bought into the Adobe lie of the universal raw format and converted all their native raw file into DNG.

So much for DNG becoming a universal format, I cannot see anyone but Adobe supporting it now and in the future you will have to go on the cloud to open them when your old adobe software no longer works on the latest operating system!

So much for a universal raw format it seems it was just another way for adobe to tie you into them.
    I don't see what your logic is behind this statement. The binding contract of the Digital NeGative license agreement and its accompanying DNG Specification and SDK has nothing to do with the distribution, licensing, and purchase of Adobe application software.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere, but what about alternatives? With Aperture for DAM and C1 for RAW conversion, I only go to PS for its healing brush and related smart tools.

What's your favorite comparably talented software? I like LR, especially for printing, but Adobe is never getting another penny from me, whether they back down this time or not. Software is an investment in time as well as money, and they have squandered trust on the time issue.

--Matt

Oh, and I'll have to find another place to perform Jack's resizing workflow....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

PhotoLine / "http://www.pl32.com"
    Download and give it a try!
    I purchased it because it does a few things I
    need better than PS. I use both PS and PL32 depending on what I need to do.
    It does involve some retraining and lacks some of the power of PS.
    It cost only a fraction the money, loads a lot quicker, and is a good tool.
    If it does all that you need it could be a cheap replacement for PS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Adobe says that they will keep camera raw up to date for CS6 going forward

Adobe Camera Raw 8 support for Photoshop CC and Photoshop CS6

how far forward is another story but that actually might be better than how it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Adobe says that they will keep camera raw up to date for CS6 going forward
    I'm just tired of all this Adobe rubbish and have no intention dealing with a company who abandons its customers for a major product release just 12 months after its release. I know CC might be a cheap way into the Adobe suit of software for new users but why turn their back on existing customers (unless they are willing to pay). While the ACR update may be something to some, what happens when I buy a new Mac in the summer and its running 10.9 and it breaks CS6?

Give us your money or its tough!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is the strategy of phone companys. (although they still have a prepaid possibility)
    Get a subscription to as many bankaccounts as you can. It is much more profitable then to depend on real buyers, because many people skip versions. Also, even if you would buy every new version, this is still a major price increase.

I suspect that many people will look for alternatives, especially very small businesses and individuals. And I think the alternatives will grow fast in a time that people are trying to cut down there automatic monthly payments to a 1001 subscribers/companys that they already have.

But may be I am wrong and Adobe has enough potential subscribers, big companys etc etc..
    But I have always learned from the taxman, that it is far more profitable to raise taxes a little for millions then to ask a lot from far fewer millionairs.
    As a result of this philosophy Adobe should not raise there prices but lower them for the millions.

Their stock has dropped a 7% in the last few days, not a good sign.

Cloud (hotair) Alternatives are;
    Gimp
    DXO
    Aperture
    Darktable
    Rawtherapee
    Pixelmator (Mac)
    Lightzone
    Corelpaint
    Rawdeveloper (Iridientdigital)
    Softonic (MAC)
    and many more I presume.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

There is plenty of choices in software, as others have said, many far better in certain areas tha anything adobe, or its plugins can offer. A short video on sharpening and printing is here - Ron Martinsen's Photography Blog: QImage 2013 Complex Print Layout Made Easy

hth

Best wishes,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Adobe has been King for too long!
    This may open the door for it's competitors...

To me Adobe has one of the worst Customer Service Departments anyway.
    (Talking to someone in a foreign land who knows little about the product it represents).

I have been using PS for 13 years or so--I'm looking forward to some new competition.

Post Thanks / Like

THE CC is a killer for amateurs like me. I am 76 years old, and built my 1st chemical darkroom in 1959. Obviously, I have a ton of negatives, scanned negative files, and original digital files. Even though I am an amateur, I supplement my (fixed) income by selling my framed seascapes. I just upgraded to CS6, thinking I was good for several years or so. I am now screwed; I always tried to save up enough money to PURCHASE what I wanted, in lieu of renting. My files (most in layered PSDs), are to me and my family priceless. I had hoped my kids and grandkids would cherish my work, and be able to use the files if they so chose. $20 a month is not a game changer for me, but add it up over several years....and everyone knows once I am"hooked" the price will sure as heck go up. I tried Lightroom, but I am just too old to change from Bridge and PS.
    Regards all
    Dave in NJ
    MODERN PICTORIALS

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, Adobe is only bothered about the next gereration of creative (quote Adobe CEO) who will probably get sucked into what seems a relatively cheap way of getting all the Adobe software they can shake a stick at. They will never have known any different and once Adobe get enough of the impressionable "next generation" hooked you can bet development cost will rise and so will the price. That is how I view this, a long term price hike and nothing more.

So to the current and old school gereration...... Screw us!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Dave, Adobe is only bothered about the next gereration of creative (quote Adobe CEO) who will probably get sucked into what seems a relatively cheap way of getting all the Adobe software they can shake a stick at. They will never have known any different and once Adobe get enough of the impressionable "next generation" hooked you can bet development cost will rise and so will the price. That is how I view this, a long term price hike and nothing more.

So to the current and old school gereration...... Screw us!
    Looks like CS6 is going to be in use for years to come.. I would like to see Phase add more support to C1P,and a few new feature's..

Post Thanks / Like

Another useful app with layers is on one perfect photo suite 7

Post Thanks / Like

CC doesn't stand for Creative Cloud but rather Credit Card!

I'm current with my versions of PS and LR and currently I can't see why I need to support an endless subscription model since these two products do everything I need. Yes there will be new killer features offered as bait but I'll wait for a competitive plugin.

Support Nik, OnOne, Topaz and so forth. I think they will be filling a void.

Don Bryant

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

there is some irony that Adobe has killed a lot of their base customers needs with Lr. I rarely go into Ps except to retouch, and with that, CS3-5 would suffice.

How long till Lr is subscription only?

Post Thanks / Like

As I've said both on LuLa and Fred Miranda, if Adobe's idea of renting you software forever doesn't piss you off, then their completely ****ed up licensing terms and conditions surely will - unless you're one of the three or four Adobe apologists out there trying desperately to defend the indefensible.

Seriously, I have yet to run into a single person, with the aforementioned few aside, that thinks this is anything but a blatant money grab and an attempt to show their corporate accountants a more even (and considerably larger) flow of income, every day, week and month, not just the big spikes they see every 18-24 months currently.

It seems that most casual users will hang on to CS6 as long as will still run on current hardware, but professionals who by their very professional nature, need to keep current versions to service clients, are left with no choice other than to join the Creative Cloud and agree to the most heinous terms and conditions I've ever seen. These make the crap that X-Rite tried to foist on us a couple of years ago seem tame by comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

Who knew this forum was self censoring. Oh well, you all get the idea.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a big business move to get all the zillions of graphics, editing, advertising creative departments, effects houses, designers, larger photo studios, retouching houses, etc. on a steady income generating stream for Adobe rather than a once in a while upgrade path that any company could skip in down times. The regular pro photographer and advanced amateur are a drop in the bucket in comparison.

For the latter it creates a very uncertain future in a category already beleaguered with uncertainty.

"What? They have no bread? Then let them eat cake!

"What? They have no Photoshop? Then let them use Lightroom"

IMO and direct expereince, the strength of Lightroom is its synergistic link to Photoshop as an "Open In" option, providing quick access to deeper retouching tools, layers, and layered plug-ins such as Nik software like Silver Efex Pro-2. (Nik was purchased by Google, who instantly made all the Nik plug-ins suites available for a modest price, but created uncertainty as to what the future held for Nik software direction.)

I also use OnOne Photo Tools that is a layered effects suite plug-in under "Automate" in PS.

Without PS, these software solutions are not applied as layers, (i.e., Nik Silver Efex Pro-2 stand-alone is not a layered file).

Any of these solutions done in PS were then returned to the Lightroom library as a version, thus completing the workflow circle intact.

As it is, I can live with PS6 as long as it can update RAW compatibility for new cameras, and is compatible with the newer versions of LR (because I NEVER use Bridge/ARC to process RAW files). Adobe says it will allow PS6 users to acquire the later versions of ACR but will not allow use of any new features in later versions of PS. We'll see how long that lasts, since I do not believe them longer term.

IMO, anyone running PS 5.5 had better think about updating to PS6 while you can, since Abobe will not be making new versions of ACR available ... for example, and correct me if I am wrong, the Nikon D600 RAW files require the latest ACR 7 version which isn't available for PS 5.5. This isn't meant to further support Adobe, but to buy PS users some time.

Those who use the more extensive PS Suite, including In Design are screwed unless the current version lasts a while. However, Quark was a lesson in horrid compatibility with previous versions, and this move smells the same.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    This is a big business move to get all the zillions of graphics, editing, advertising creative departments, effects houses, designers, larger photo studios, retouching houses, etc. on a steady income generating stream for Adobe rather than a once in a while upgrade path that any company could skip in down times. The regular pro photographer and advanced amateur are a drop in the bucket in comparison.

<snip>

As it is, I can live with PS6 as long as it can update RAW compatibility for new cameras, and is compatible with the newer versions of LR (because I NEVER use Bridge/ARC to process RAW files). Adobe says it will allow PS6 users to acquire the later versions of ACR but will not allow use of any new features in later versions of PS. We'll see how long that lasts, since I do not believe them longer term.

<snip>

-Marc
    Well stated, Marc. And coincident with my conclusion. I will use PS6 and LR5 without subscribing to the Creative Cloud for as long as I can (i.e., as long as the common ACR/LR5 RAW converter covers my camera choices).

I'm currently not an Adobe shareholder, but as an investor have followed ADBE for several years. As a growth company in the technology sector, it has been "dead money" since 2008. Going to the subscription model gives the company higher predictable recurring revenue. Their analysis has taken into account the loss of upgrades for the fraction of their user base that uses just PS (me), in favor of the much larger portion of their user base ("zillions of graphics, editing, advertising creative departments, effects houses, designers, larger photo studios, retouching houses") that uses multiple Adobe CC apps. I disagree with their decision, but understand it in the context of their obligation to shareholders.

So for now, I'm not jumping on the CC. I can afford it, but the idea of "renting" Adobe software turns me off.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like