Site Sponsors

Thread: Auto HDR from RAW?

Post Thanks / Like

Auto HDR from RAW?

Hi Guys,

Is there a software that automaticly generates several exposures when you drop in your raw file so that latter you may do some HDR?

cheers,

Rafa

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Auto HDR from RAW?

I believe Photomatix lets you do that and a PS plugin called Topaz Adjust. Topaz is an el-cheapo clone of Lucis Art which is way expensive.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Haven’t tried it however CS4 shows “Merge to HDR” Located under Tools - Photoshop.

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don, that PSCS4 function requires several bracketed exposures. THe OP wants to drop in a RAW file and then extract bracketed images from it and then merge to HDR. I suppose one could write a PS action to do this automatically.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

My bad!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

I've been told that on another forum that Photomatix Pro 3.0 does this...but it's a video forum and the guy didn't elaborate much on his comment. Can anyone confirm?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I own Photomatix 3.0 and can confirm the function is there. I will take some test shots tomorrow and post them here.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks, Carlos! It sounds like an estremely practical solution for HDR. Have you ever tried comparing the RAW solution to the multiple photos with different exposed photos?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can do that too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After reading this I opened my PM PRO and tried to find the action that let you create a range of "exposures" from one RAW file. I couldn't find it. Where should I look?

While it was open I tried another HDR. I just can't seem to like the colors it produces. I clearly need to try the whole technique a bit more before completely dismissing it, but I've yet to come up with a result that makes it seem worth it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    While it was open I tried another HDR. I just can't seem to like the colors it produces. I clearly need to try the whole technique a bit more before completely dismissing it, but I've yet to come up with a result that makes it seem worth it.
    HI Tim
    I couldn't agree more - I don't think I've seen the product of any of these programs which looks anything other than horrible. . . . mind you, I think the technique can be used usefully if you do it 'manually', and I've done it on occasions to bring out some dynamic range in different parts of a picture.

My feeling is that each picture is different, and it's impossible for a generalised program to do anything other than guess at the best results.

When I'm doing it I usually create three layers in photoshop, one for each exposure of the raw file, and then work them according to what seems best.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You're right about each image being different. It's unlikely any software that's making changes based on strictly numeric values is ever likely to agree with my own interpretation of what an image should look like.

But the exercise of attempting to fiddle with HDR has instilled an idea back into my head. I say back because in the old film days, exposure bracketing every shot was pretty much standard (at least for those that weren't candid or action shots). There have been many times I wish I had done that with my digital camera so that I could later blend the images in PS. My attempts to make versions at different exposures from the RAW file aren't always that successful.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I did a couple of tests today with my Hartblei and I ran them though PM Pro to produce an HDR. Here are the results:

The weather today is quite dismal as a horrid cold front will be sinking the temps down into the 40's (F), still the process added some interest to the shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Carlos. After seeing your examples I think that even though processing an HDR from a raw file is a more practical solution it doesn't have the same extreme results as shooting several exposures...which is a shame for me, since I never use a tripod.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well the weather today was pretty dismal. Overcast and blah. Didn't look as good as the photo. Pretty happy with the Hartblei. The shift worked very nicely and kept the building lines nice and parallel.