The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone get the new GFX 50R yet?

D&A

You have missed nothing.

I am just worried that the R's grip might be lame versus the S. Some believe Fuji will release a grip add-on in the future which if true means the ergonomics of the S grip is about right.

Using the R as an excuse to assemble a few good lenses for my needs and then like you see what the 100 finally holds.
Yes, as I posted previously, I personally felt the depth and size of the R grip was somewhat (or more than somewhat for some), too small, especially if the midrange zoom or other similar weight/size lens was attached. It certainly differentiates the R from the S. I have hands in a size I would characterize as approaching large, not x-large and definitely not medium. If the grip/depth of grip of the R is compared to the Pentax 645Z, it's night and day and I felt for myself, the grip of the 645Z is a tad too large. I was told a Fuji accessory akin to one they have for one of their mirrorless APS cameras to enlarge the grip of the R, may be forthcoming. Time will tell. Again as I always say, all this is subjective and was my initial handling/brief shooting experience with the R, which I elaborated on a bit in a previously post. Day in and day out use of those that acquire the R will of course will tell a much broader, complete story.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I did have one company I had used in the past however if I did this I'd switch to another that Ken Doo has used - crap I can't remember their name.
Kolari - I've been in conversation with them for a while although I don't know anyone who has done it yet. I've been contemplating getting a used 2nd camera body for this.

atanabe

I got my 50R last week, here is a size comparison to my Leica S2, both with the 45mm attached and normal by the side.
50r_S2.jpg
Smaller grip, but not a deal breaker as many have commented on, I am sure that there will be an aftermarket grip in the near future for those that want one. The image quality is what I expected from a 50 mpx sensor, dynamic range is impressive. The lenses are very good, how they can get such quality at that price point?? My camera bag is much lighter, but so is my wallet :ROTFL:

k-hawinkler

I got my 50R last week, here is a size comparison to my Leica S2, both with the 45mm attached and normal by the side.
View attachment 138064
Smaller grip, but not a deal breaker as many have commented on, I am sure that there will be an aftermarket grip in the near future for those that want one. The image quality is what I expected from a 50 mpx sensor, dynamic range is impressive. The lenses are very good, how they can get such quality at that price point?? My camera bag is much lighter, but so is my wallet :ROTFL:
Thanks atanabe. Looking great.
Owning myself many Leica M and R lenses, I am stunned as well at what relatively low price point Fujifilm cranks out those superb Fujinon GF lenses.
I am sure you will enjoy your gear, as I will my 50S. :thumbs:

atanabe

Thanks atanabe. Looking great.
Owning myself many Leica M and R lenses, I am stunned as well at what relatively low price point Fujifilm cranks out those superb Fujinon GF lenses.
I am sure you will enjoy your gear, as I will my 50S. :thumbs:
K-H,
I have the 80 Summilux and tried it on the 50R, while it renders nicely, the 63 is no slouch. Decisions, decisions . . . keep the 80 or get the 110?????

k-hawinkler

K-H,
I have the 80 Summilux and tried it on the 50R, while it renders nicely, the 63 is no slouch. Decisions, decisions . . . keep the 80 or get the 110?????
Thanks atanabe.
I use my Summilux-R 80/1.4 on my Sony A9 with the TechArt Pro AF adapter.
For my 50S I already got the GF120 because it has OIS and MACRO.
It’s only a question of time until I get the GF110. :LOL:

algrove

Just sitting here while battery charging. I hate manuals.

The grip could be better with the 110 attached, but with the 63 no big deal. With the 23 it still needs a better grip. Perhaps a generic L bracket to the right side would help create a larger area to grip with my hand size. I ordered the Fuji hand strap that someone on the B&H site recommended for hand holding the 50R.

I am on the road so will only get to try the other lenses, accessories after the 25th. Can't wait to try some Leica R lenses and my collection of Mamiya 645 lenses.

Just curious what settings many prefer, but guess a thread dedicated to that subject a better place to discuss this.

I was going to start out with S focusing "zone" with perhaps 5x5 for use with the 110. As for metering was going to try center-weighted first, again with the 110. Sounds like the best way to go? Thanks.

Left home with my M10 and small Billigham Case for Leica. Surprised the 50R+110 fits on its side without any divider flap inside and the 63 fits in the front pocket.

iiiNelson

Just sitting here while battery charging. I hate manuals.

The grip could be better with the 110 attached, but with the 63 no big deal. With the 23 it still needs a better grip. Perhaps a generic L bracket to the right side would help create a larger area to grip with my hand size. I ordered the Fuji hand strap that someone on the B&H site recommended for hand holding the 50R.

I am on the road so will only get to try the other lenses, accessories after the 25th. Can't wait to try some Leica R lenses and my collection of Mamiya 645 lenses.

Just curious what settings many prefer, but guess a thread dedicated to that subject a better place to discuss this.

I was going to start out with S focusing "zone" with perhaps 5x5 for use with the 110. As for metering was going to try center-weighted first, again with the 110. Sounds like the best way to go? Thanks.

Left home with my M10 and small Billigham Case for Leica. Surprised the 50R+110 fits on its side without any divider flap inside and the 63 fits in the front pocket.
I watched a video review online of the GFX50R and the reviewer stated that they got better and faster performance with the face tracking and eye Autofocus turned on. That person was doing more street and family photos though but the results were extremely good - even in a slideshow. It was easy to see the larger sensor benefits in the rendering.

gurtch

My 50R came several days ago. The instruction book has no index! And as a first time Fuji user I struggled to find stuff. There are nice features not even mentioned in the manual. For example, to change ISO, merely turn the top command dial. I have 5 MF Pentax 645 lenses with an adapter. How to manual focus, and enlarge the image while viewing? Instruction Manual no help. From another site I learned: SIMPLE and easy. Without removing your eye from the finder, merely push the top rear command dial, and the image is automatically enlarged. Turn the dial more, and the image gets even larger. Could not be easier or faster. As an aside: using adapted Pentax lenses, I view, then magnify the image. I then manually stop down to shooting aperature....and the image does not go black...it stays bright! Wow. Coming from a Pentax 645D, which I had to give up because after open heart surgery, it was just too big and heavy, the 50R is LIGHT! Actually about one half the weight. I am 5'7" tall, and have about "average" size hands and the built in grip is perfect for me. After all, I grew up using three camera types simultaneously: Leica M2, the first version Pentax Slr, and a Hasselblad 500c.....no hand grips. So far, once you figure out how to work the thing (still learning) I really really think this will work for my type of slow, studied seascape photography. I also use a Sony A7RII with lenses from 12mm to 520mm for more spontaneous work. I really like this machine, and lenses second to none.
Best
Dave in NJ
Www.modernpictorials.com

algrove

My 50R came several days ago. The instruction book has no index! And as a first time Fuji user I struggled to find stuff. There are nice features not even mentioned in the manual. For example, to change ISO, merely turn the top command dial. I have 5 MF Pentax 645 lenses with an adapter. How to manual focus, and enlarge the image while viewing? Instruction Manual no help. From another site I learned: SIMPLE and easy. Without removing your eye from the finder, merely push the top rear command dial, and the image is automatically enlarged. Turn the dial more, and the image gets even larger. Could not be easier or faster. As an aside: using adapted Pentax lenses, I view, then magnify the image. I then manually stop down to shooting aperature....and the image does not go black...it stays bright! Wow. Coming from a Pentax 645D, which I had to give up because after open heart surgery, it was just too big and heavy, the 50R is LIGHT! Actually about one half the weight. I am 5'7" tall, and have about "average" size hands and the built in grip is perfect for me. After all, I grew up using three camera types simultaneously: Leica M2, the first version Pentax Slr, and a Hasselblad 500c.....no hand grips. So far, once you figure out how to work the thing (still learning) I really really think this will work for my type of slow, studied seascape photography. I also use a Sony A7RII with lenses from 12mm to 520mm for more spontaneous work. I really like this machine, and lenses second to none.
Best
Dave in NJ
Www.modernpictorials.com
Dave
Thanks so much on your hints using adapted lenses. BTW, which "another site" did you find these hints? Perhaps there are more useful to me as a new user.

algrove

Just tried FM and it seems to be offline or pulled. Saw some mention of the site PW's being hacked. Anyone getting on FM OK?