The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One iPad Preview

vjbelle

Wish I could get excited but I find the iPad to be just a large iPhone with lots of limitations. I'm going to stick to the 14" M1 - a real computer.

Victor B.

ThdeDude

For me it is only interesting if it supports tethering on IQ4. It could be a better alternative than Cascable.
For me, supporting tethering iPhone and IQ3

Update. States that iPhone will be supported

Last edited:

med

I wonder what licensing model will look like… free for existing “Pro” license holders (or count as one of the included machines)? Free for Phase One backs, as C1 Pro is? Or will they make it subscription only like Adobe CC?

Godfrey

I have little interest in C1, but it's nice to see them expanding its usability to other devices.

I use an iPad Pro 11" extensively .. it's more portable than the MBPro 13 or MBAir that I replaced with it, is faster for what I do as a rule, and runs Hasselblad Phocus, Affinity Photo, and SnapSeed beautifully ... never mind the other ten bazillion apps I have on it. iPadOS 15 has quite a lot more oomph than iOS 15 as well. It's coming up on time for me to upgrade to an Apple silicon model, but this one (from 2018) is still 100% useful and capable, as is my older iPad Pro 12.3"..

G

tcdeveau

Did they give any info about connectivity?

if it’ll connect to the IQ4, transfer raws,and maybe get a live view steam for focusing too I’m excited…..if not, not sure I have much interest.

I’ve been looking at pulling the trigger on an iPad Pro but have been waiting to see what happens with the C1 ipad app.

tcdeveau

Following up, saw this in an email I received from capture one about future capture one and iPad plans:

“Tethered Shooting
With a USB-C port in future iPads, photographers will be able to shoot tethered directly into Capture One. Working on location is made even easier with a larger screen to view images in the moment or to pass around quickly while shooting in studio.”

Greg Haag

Following up, saw this in an email I received from capture one about future capture one and iPad plans:

“Tethered Shooting
With a USB-C port in future iPads, photographers will be able to shoot tethered directly into Capture One. Working on location is made even easier with a larger screen to view images in the moment or to pass around quickly while shooting in studio.”
I wonder why it says "in future iPads"?

Paul Spinnler

Thinking about it, it might be useful if it a) allows USB-C tethering and b) syncs via 5G in the background with a cloud drive. But I wonder how practical this is with the file sizes involved and in the field as sometimes I just shoot a dozen in a row ... and how tedious it is compared to just shooting into say an MBP 14 which at the same time is also the editing workstation.

Reactions: med

Mexecutioner

Yeah that sucks. I would totally use it on a new iPad Air for tethering and focusing.

Who would go to the trouble of uploading images to an iPad to then have a sub par editing experience when compared to a workstation?

Greg Haag

Yeah that sucks. I would totally use it on a new iPad Air for tethering and focusing.

Who would go to the trouble of uploading images to an iPad to then have a sub par editing experience when compared to a workstation?
It makes no sense to me. My only portable solution currently is the cascable work around or 16" MacBook Pro (almost 5lbs), I am about to give up on waiting and buy a MacBook Air (looks like 2.5lbs). Would really like to have a solution, especially for focusing.

Godfrey

It makes no sense to me. My only portable solution currently is the cascable work around or 16" MacBook Pro (almost 5lbs), I am about to give up on waiting and buy a MacBook Air (looks like 2.5lbs). Would really like to have a solution, especially for focusing.
I often capture images with the Hasselblad 907x and Leica CL, tethered to my iPad Pro 11" with Phocus and Leica FOTOs respectively. Not only is very little editing actually necessary if you get your exposure correct, but there's nothing wrong with the editing facilities available on the iPad Pro 11" anyway even compared with LR and Photoshop on my macOS machine.

G

tcdeveau

When I travel sometimes it's nice to have a quick and dirty edit to make sure I've got what I was seeking in the event I need to reshoot before heading home. Obviously this is one of those "YMMV" type things but it'd be helpful for my needs.

I often travel with more than one camera as well. I maybe wouldn't want to rely solely on an iPad for editing X1D or IQ4 files, but it's perfectly fine for my needs for the Nikon. If it could tether to the IQ4 and allow me to do some quick and dirty edits, and complete edits of Nikon files, I could replace the laptop completely with an iPad. I'm almost always traveling with an iPad anyway, so if I could leave the laptop at home, that'd be nice.