The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Setting up a repro stand

Paul Spinnler

Yes it is amazing. Remember that the Scitex Eversmart / IQSmart scanners also used a custom 108mm Rodenstock lens as described in the closeupphotography website. If you want to go up to 4:1 you need a lot of extenders and a very stable stand or use flash to not have very slow shutter speeds. With flash you can stay at 1/90 for example whereas without and just a LED light source you'd be looking at 1/10 or less even with a very bright light source. That's why a heavy duty stand - Kaiser RSD or heavier stuff - is very helpful.

What's very cool about this lens with Novoflex is that it is not heavy at all especially compared to an XF with P1 Macro only when you go really close and start stacking extenders it becomes heavy. The Novoflex and Rodie 105 are surprisingly light as a combo. The digiback you just attach to the bellows directly.

If you have the cash and this "hobby project" of having a repro stand is important to you this is probably one of the best solutions you can get - as said, I have yet to discern CA with this lens...

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Paul,
I know this thread is about copy stands, but much of my closeup photography will not be of completely flat objects. How much of the Rodie 105 advantage is relevant in "3D" applications? I suppose "no CA at 4:1" is still "no CA at 4:1", but bokeh matters in other applications.
Thanks,
Matt

Paul Spinnler

Paul,
I know this thread is about copy stands, but much of my closeup photography will not be of completely flat objects. How much of the Rodie 105 advantage is relevant in "3D" applications? I suppose "no CA at 4:1" is still "no CA at 4:1", but bokeh matters in other applications.
Thanks,
Matt
Yes, the lens is excellent. NO CA whatsoever, even in 3D applications. There's a reason this one is USD6.5k ... it is not so practical ofc since you use it on view camera / with bellows, but it is in all regards a top of the line lens and as good as it gets for repro and negative scanning. It has an IC which allows for shifting, meaning basically no vignetting. These are all very important attributes for scanning / repro ...

Below some 100% crops from my garden - shooting some trees against white overcast sky. NOT ONE BIT OF CA with a 150 megapixel sensor. The things are like 50-60 feet away. Check out the thin spider web thread in the last pic ...

On bokeh - it is not a Leica summilux 50, but it is still nice to be honest.

Some leaves might look a bit blurry on the edges - it is because it was a bit windy outside still. This is all shot at 5.6.

It is basically an ultra high res lens with no vignetting and CA which focuses down to 4:1 while keeping perfect sharpness across the sensor. It is not widely used, but one could call it the king of macro lenses so to speak.

I think what is also fascinating if you photograph really small stuff with it, like insects or plants and you discover this whole other world of textures with it - clearly, at 4:1 and with 150 megapixels it is a joy to see CA free imagery. There's the beautiful "APO" clarity you get with this lens which is also the reason for its high price vs. other macro lenses ...

Attachments

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

And as said, get the Alpa version and not Linos as the quality control is different to make sure it works perfectly in 3D. I was told this by the Rodenstock engineer who manages sales for the HR line and basically he said they test all lenses for photographic purposes differently than those intended for line scan applications where you can rotate the lens in the assembly for perfect sharpness from one line edge to the other line edge - ie the lens can be sold as an inspec lens even if it isnt sharp 360 degrees edge to edge because the industrial camera systems allow you to rotate the lens so it is perfect for line scans although the lens would not pass the QC test for a photographic application where they project a pattern and check that all lens elements are perfectly aligned resulting in all elements being sharp edges to edge in all four corners - basically lenses which might not cut it for photo will still be perfectly sellable for line scan applications. There's also a tiny construction difference apparently to make sure all lens elements are really perfectly aligned I was told.

It may be subtle for some, but it was a pretty clear recommendation to not risk it and not get a Linos lens for scanning negatives.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Yes, the lens is excellent. NO CA whatsoever, even in 3D applications. There's a reason this one is USD6.5k ... it is not so practical ofc since you use it on view camera / with bellows, but it is in all regards a top of the line lens and as good as it gets for repro and negative scanning. It has an IC which allows for shifting, meaning basically no vignetting. These are all very important attributes for scanning / repro ...

Below some 100% crops from my garding - shooting some trees against white overcast sky. NOT ONE BIT OF CA with a 150 megapixel sensor. The things are like 50-60 feet away. Check out the thin spider web thread in the last pic ...

On bokeh - it is not a Leica summilux 50, but it is still nice to be honest.

And as said, get the Alpa version and not Linos as the quality control is different to make sure it works perfectly in 3D and that all axes are sharp to the edges. I was told this by the Rodenstock engineer who manages sales for the HR line and basically he said they test all lenses for photographic purposes with differently than those intended for scan line applications.

Some leaves might look a bit blurry on the edges - it is because it was a bit windy outside still. This is all shot at 5.6.

It is basically an ultra high res lens with no vignetting and CA which focuses down to 4:1 while keeping perfect sharpness across the sensor. It is not widely used, but one could call it the king of macro lenses so to speak.

I think what is also fascinating if you photograph really small stuff with it, like insects or plants and you discover this whole other world of textures with it - clearly, at 4:1 and with 150 megapixels it is a joy to see CA free imagery. There's the beautiful "APO" clarity you get with this lens which is also the reason for its high price vs. other macro lenses ...
Paul,
Since the Schneider 90 that was "in stock" suddenly turned to "backordered" when I opened the box (think Schrödinger's Cat), I've taken the Fuji EX advice above while waiting for something better to turn up. If I decide that I want better-than-Schneider, and higher magnification, than the Roadie is a very serious contender. All the film I have to scan is 6x6 or 6x7, so I don't need more than 1:1 for that. By the standards of Leica S lenses, it's not *that* expensive 😆
Matt

Paul Spinnler

Paul,
Since the Schneider 90 that was "in stock" suddenly turned to "backordered" when I opened the box (think Schrödinger's Cat), I've taken the Fuji EX advice above while waiting for something better to turn up. If I decide that I want better-than-Schneider, and higher magnification, than the Roadie is a very serious contender. All the film I have to scan is 6x6 or 6x7, so I don't need more than 1:1 for that. By the standards of Leica S lenses, it's not *that* expensive 😆
Matt
Point is with this lens you will be tempted to do a two fold stitch of a 6x7 which is amazing (with an XY table) ... and is nice to have a vignetting free, CA free, edge to edge macro where you can dial in the floating lens system to be optimally sharp at the exact magnification. The floating lens system has a separate aperture ring to dial it in perfectly.

So basically with the bellows you get it sharp and then with the FL ring you get it even sharper. I think especially at the very high magnifications this should yield better performance, I do not have enough spacers to test it though as for 4:1 you need quite a few so the effect is subtle around 1:1, but expectedly more pronounced as you go to the extremes.

It comes with a helper print out so you can quickly check magnification and dial it in in seconds when you change height. Given the imperceptible vignetting you also do not need to do an LCC ...

Pls. note that even withouth FL adjustment the lens is as sharp as any other HR lens ... so it is really on top of something already great - is not like it isn't sharp or so without FL adjustment - it is basically a cherry on top. For the shots outside the lens was set at its infnity setting which is magnification of 0.3x.

Last edited:

rdeloe

Yeah, so a Fujinon EX 105/5.6 enlarger lens is not going to be as good as the Rodenstock 105! ;) But I hope it gets the job done for you Matt.

anyone

The Apo Rodagon D 75mm should be also very good for the purpose. I read somewhere that this is the lens used in Hasselblad’s Flextight scanners.

Paul Spinnler

The Apo Rodagon D 75mm should be also very good for the purpose. I read somewhere that this is the lens used in Hasselblad’s Flextight scanners.
Good point, but it is an older design which although apochomatically corrected, still displays quite a bit of CA. I asked the Rodenstock HR guy about this specific lens and he said the 105 is a newer, better design. Was also surprised to see the results here:

But of course still plenty good for scanning negs ...

MGrayson

Good point, but it is an older design which although apochomatically corrected, still displays quite a bit of CA. I asked the Rodenstock HR guy about this specific lens and he said the 105 is a newer, better design. Was also surprised to see the results here:

But of course still plenty good for scanning negs ...
Well, it's under $300 on eBay, so worth the experiment!

Paul Spinnler

I think a lot of older macro lenses are good for film scanning ... the 105 is just the top of the line solution - doesn't mean it is necessary. It just combines a few special features in a desirable macro lens combo, so to say, ie 4:1 and FL system + completely CA free with imperceptible vignetting. Is just a good combo of features and as usual you pay a pretty penny for this feature list. If you want to go 35mm full frame scanning or hardcore stitching then the 105 plays out its strengths, IMHO. If you just do one shot medium format and above a lot of macro lenses won't perform too badly, I suppose.

Last edited:

MGrayson

I think a lot of Macro lenses are good ... the 105 is just the top of the line solution - doesnt mean it is necessary. It also has a few pecularities, ie 4:1 and FL system + completely CA free with imperceptible vignetting. Is just a good combo of features.
I think everyone agrees. I believe there is value in trying out the different compromises. I'm glad I used Contax 645 lenses on the S while gathering Leica lenses. Pentax ED-IF telephotos are good, but try the Zeiss Superachromats and you viscerally understand the price difference. As you say, the *complete* absence of CA has its own special look.

rdeloe

At one sixtieth of the price, it's worth a shot. :ROFLMAO:
As a head's-up, this one is 39mm x 1/26th inch thread. The EX line also has a quirk that I've never seen anywhere else. At first I thought the lens was broken because I put it on my adapter and it started spinning around. What Fuji did with this one is a clever solution for darkroom workers: once you mount the lens, you can spin it almost a full 360 degrees so that you can position the illuminated numbers where you want them. To mount and unmount an EX lens, you just keep twisting until you hit the stop. Then you can turn the thread to mount/dismount.

The other thing to watch out for is those illuminated numbers. The source of the illumination is a little window in the mount. You need to cover that. It's quite easy. Unscrew the "C" shaped cover plate and rotate it one screw position. Screw it down again and you've covered the window.

If you haven't put your money down yet, you may want to consider a Componon-S 100/5.6 instead of the Fujinon. I've never compared them side-by-side, but I have a hunch the Componon-S 100/5.6 might be a better choice if you need around 100mm. I could be wrong. If you buy both you can find out and let us know! ;) If you do go the Componon-S route, they come in all kinds of mounts, some with illuminated windows and some note. There's also a Makro-Iris version that is used in line scanning applications. As you probably know by now I'm a big fan of the Makro-Iris mount system. The lenses are all the same though.

TechTalk

That will depend on the specific model of Imacon/Hasselblad Flextight scanner as the lens changed with various models over time. Your memory is excellent, as some of the older original Imacon Flextight models appear to have used the Apo Rodagon D 75mm as you said.

The most recent Flextight X1 and X5 models used a fixed aperture industrial version of the design, the Rodenstock Linos Magnagon 75mm f/8 scanner lens. The faster Magnagon 75mm f/5.6 version was used in some very high-end commercial flatbed scanners. Robert OToole discusses this lens on his site.

https://www.closeuphotography.com/rodenstock-magnagon-75mm-scanner-lens

Last edited: