The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H to be continued or...?

Maxx9photo

A person-in-the-know told me that the CFV-100c is on its way but didn't know (or tell) when it will be announced.

Wonder why not announced together with the X2D? Still much unsold stock of the CFV-50c Mark II?
It's out of stock everywhere, most likely the volume was not as high as X camera production.

ThdeDude

The copal shutter could be re-done as especially in China people like them ... the resurgence of analog could also be a motivator
I am not aware of any large format lenses still in production. Of large format style/type lenses, I know only of Rodenstock's Digarons. And they have either their "Aperture Stop" or X-Shutter.

Who would hence need new Copal type shutters?

Paul Spinnler

There is a constant need for replacement of old shutters and Greiner is still doing new Sironar-S runs. Alpa has also shipped copal shutter lenses at one point to China. The Chinese market loves Copal because of the look and dual-use in film / digital. The Rodenstock aperture ring does not include a shutter so these lenses are precluded from film use.

If a copal 0 breaks your only option atm is to buy one off of Ebay or to "sacrifice" a cheap lens off of ebay. You could sell a few hundred shutters per year globally factoring in replacement, new LF lens, and Chinese demand.

Steve Hendrix

That might be a factor.

If Hasselblad does produce a 100mp CFV III, it will not show up until Q3/Q4 this year.

It makes no sense for them to introduce 2 major products at the same time (or so near to each other). No one does that (for many good reasons).

Streve Hendrix/CI

ThdeDude

If Hasselblad does produce a 100mp CFV III, it will not show up until Q3/Q4 this year.

It makes no sense for them to introduce 2 major products at the same time (or so near to each other). No one does that (for many good reasons).

Streve Hendrix/CI
Steve,
I recall that the original CFV-50c was announced together with the X1D, also believe that the second generation was announced together. Makes sense since sensor, electronics, and software is apparently the same, different housing is no big deal.
Why not this time, who knows. Manufacturing capacity? The X2D 100C is apparently a very capable camera. They knew that they will sell a bundle.
MN

tcdeveau

Steve,
I recall that the original CFV-50c was announced together with the X1D, also believe that the second generation was announced together. Makes sense since sensor, electronics, and software is apparently the same, different housing is no big deal.
Why not this time, who knows. Manufacturing capacity? The X2D 100C is apparently a very capable camera. They knew that they will sell a bundle.
MN
CFV-50c was announced in 2014 and the OG X1D in 2016.

The CFV50cII/907x and X1DII were announced closer together, but the X1DII was shipping months earlier.

Would love to see a CFV50cIII sooner rather than later but it will get here when it gets here.

If a new Hasselblad 100mpx digital back is released this year, how would the electronic shutter work? I could not find much information on this for the X2D. Is it usable for architecture and landscapes?

Thanks! :)

Maxx9photo

If a new Hasselblad 100mpx digital back is released this year, how would the electronic shutter work? I could not find much information on this for the X2D. Is it usable for architecture and landscapes?

I’ve used electronic shutter on my CFV 50 with Cambo with no issue.

Paul Spinnler

Yes, the only problems are fast-moving objects (cars, flying balls, jumping persons, sports), shooting while on the move yourself, or shooting handheld. Handheld is manageable if you shoot with a wide angle at a fast readout speed and stand at a fixed position. Tripod-based landscape and architecture should work.

Geoff

Oddly enough, have used CFV 50c II handheld w electronic shutter, got more hits and only a few misses. Didn’t know better!

Thanks so much! I just read that it is roughly a scan time of 0.3 seconds..

Outside of the electronic shutter, you are looking at the older Copal shutters or the newer X shutters? Is that correct?

Paul Spinnler

x shutters only work if you are part of the IQ4 insider club and the lenses are more expensive. It doesn't work for Hasselblad and then the option would be Copal. ES is less of a problem, the more wide angle you go as objects get smaller. You see it most significantly on straight lines and larger and / or elongated objects.

You also cannot do anything flash based with the ES.

Last edited:

ThdeDude

Yes, the only problems are fast-moving objects (cars, flying balls, jumping persons, sports), shooting while on the move yourself, or shooting handheld. Handheld is manageable if you shoot with a wide angle at a fast readout speed and stand at a fixed position. Tripod-based landscape and architecture should work.
Interesting point about handheld. Since my technical cameras are tripod-bound I never thought about his.

Wonder how panning would work out on a rolling shutter? Surely depends on many factors.

Paul Spinnler

Interesting point about handheld. Since my technical cameras are tripod-bound I never thought about his.

Wonder how panning would work out on a rolling shutter? Surely depends on many factors.
Not all technical cameras work for this, in fact I would say it works with the Alpa TC, STC, Arca Factum, XT and the most compact Cambo cameras. The Alpa TC is so small and can be outfitted with an ergonomic grip as shown in my Alpa Monochrom thread - with a lens around 40mm or below it works surprisingly well.

With the STC, if you remove all tripod dovetails, you can shoot handheld with 5mm rise which is also nice when walking around a bigger city with skyscrapers, etc.

ThdeDude

Not all technical cameras ... The Alpa TC is so small and can be outfitted with an ergonomic grip as shown in my Alpa Monochrom thread - with a lens around 40mm or below it works surprisingly well.
Sure, some technical cameras can be used O.K. handheld, especially if basically used like a box camera with one lens. But I think most photographers have other camera system that are better suited to hand-held photography than a technical camera.

I have the Fotoman Dmini but it's an awkward camera hand-held or tripod-mounted!

Last edited:

dchew

With the STC, if you remove all tripod dovetails, you can shoot handheld with 5mm rise which is also nice when walking around a bigger city with skyscrapers, etc.
The one issue with the STC is the grip position for rise/fall. The standard STC grip ends up on the bottom of the camera. You need one of the 040.8xx series of grips, which ends up making the camera a bit wider. Another answer is a hand strap. Alpa used to sell them, but I don't think they do anymore. Any old hand strap from Peak Design or Promaster works. The contraption looks something like this with a hand strap and connections for lenses equipped with a Copal shutter (minus the tripod):

View attachment 200412

Jeeze; where has the cleaning crew been??

Edit: Note I've rotated the lens so the shutter release is along the bottom. I don't have the electronic grip. For Copal shutters, I find it best to fire the shutter with the forefinger of my left hand as it supports the bottom of the camera. I cock the shutter with the forefinger of my right hand.

Dave

Last edited: