The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The king is dead...

cuida1991

First wanted to say something sarcastic but then I recalled the current asking prices for Schneider 120mm f/5.6 Apo-Digitar Aspherical (perhaps best LF type 120mm lens ever made) and Fuji Fujinon C 600mm F/11.5 (excellent lens for 11x14").
May I ask how fujinon 600/11.5 perform on high res digital sensor?

Thomas73

Totally. But realistically, there is now limited availability on products that you can no longer source new but still have some passionate fans. I have a certified pre-owned H5X in my inventory today, and the price is higher than it was, say a month ago.

I don't think prices will go through the roof, but H system lenses, in particular, had been in a free fall, value-wise for the past several years. We may see at least a slight reversal of this trend.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Difficult to predict :
- discontinued system also means discontinued service in the near future !! Considering the technology and financial considerations for DJI (owner of Hasselblad), I am not sure they will be ready to support service on H gears for many years!
- on the other hand, Hasselblad announced that all H gears are discontinued from this day. So, as some of them should be out-of-stock very quickly, prices may go up.

Paul Spinnler

Difficult to predict :
- discontinued system also means discontinued service in the near future !! Considering the technology and financial considerations for DJI (owner of Hasselblad), I am not sure they will be ready to support service on H gears for many years!
- on the other hand, Hasselblad announced that all H gears are discontinued from this day. So, as some of them should be out-of-stock very quickly, prices may go up.
People have priced the demise of the system already in – it was a "dead system walking" for a while. IMHO unlikely to see any rising prices. They will further go down, if anything as people unload full systems given lack of parts and future. If you are a commercial photographer relying on this kit this is now the time where you start to look for an alternative ... to avoid the costly risk of product failures during live shoots and lack of local quick service options impacting on your business.

– "HELLO CANIKON".

DJI will in the end have their X system and that's it, mainly produced in China with some final assembly or QC step in Sweden for "optics" vis a vis the consumer.

Hassy HQ in Sweden probably also slowly disintegrating ... and Shenzen is running the numbers of what to do with the business in the mid-term constantly in all likelihood (bet conclusion will not be that we'll see them ramping up staff in Sweden).

Last edited:

rdeloe

People have priced the demise of the system already in – it was a "dead system walking" for a while. IMHO unlikely to see any rising prices. They will further go down, if anything as people unload full systems given lack of parts and future. If you are a commercial photographer relying on this kit this is now the time where you start to look for an alternative ... to avoid the costly risk of product failures during live shoots and lack of local quick service options impacting on your business.

– "HELLO CANIKON".

DJI will in the end have their X system and that's it, mainly produced in China with some final assembly or QC step in Sweden for "optics" vis a vis the consumer.

Hassy HQ in Sweden probably also slowly disintegrating ... and Shenzen is running the numbers of what to do with the business in the mid-term constantly in all likelihood (bet conclusion will not be that we'll see them ramping up staff in Sweden).
As someone using Fuji, I sincerely hope Hasselblad makes it and continues to produce great cameras. The more options the better. It's tough though because this market is so small.

Difficult to predict :
H-System customers need not worry about the service of H-cameras and H-lenses in the future. Mr. Ulf Kühn, a very long time Hasselblad technician at the Hasselblad tradecenter in Ahrensburg near Hamburg in Germany repairs H and V equipment. He is also officially authorized by Hasselblad Sweden. His mail address is: [email protected]. Ulf Kühn has a very large experience with Hasselblad products.

Paul Spinnler

H-System customers need not worry about the service of H-cameras and H-lenses in the future. Mr. Ulf Kühn, a very long time Hasselblad technician at the Hasselblad tradecenter in Ahrensburg near Hamburg in Germany repairs H and V equipment. He is also officially authorized by Hasselblad Sweden. His mail address is: [email protected]. Ulf Kühn has a very large experience with Hasselblad products.
Great guy, but last man standing with a huge backlog. Practical for a hobbyist, but not a fashion photographer in NYC.

He also needs to order parts via Zendsk from Shenzen (he told me) and without parts he won't be able to repair. It is not like the mechanical V system cameras where there's very little to no electronics ... if a circuit is fried in your H camera or if you need a new battery with no new parts available on order you are stuck with new old stock until supplies last. Ie he is also dependent on Hasselblad providing replacement parts for the electronic components.

If you are a working pro which is dependent on the H system you can mitigate this by collecting spare batteries now and by getting a second system off of the secondary market, but I am not sure this is a route working pros are willing to go if the camera is officially end of life. Also, given the fact that Ulf is alone, not sure it is practical to wait weeks / months for a repair of if you need the system to make money ...

ThdeDude

DJI will in the end have their X system and that's it
IMO, no need to have anything else. I can see Hasselblad's X system being profitable and successful. Most importantly, it has a certain sexiness. 907X/CFV appeals both to old geezer either reminiscent or actual using parts of the Hasselblad's V system and, at the same time, has a certain hipster appeal. The X2D 100C looks great and seems to be a very capable camera. Smart to have two conceptionally different cameras; yet using the same sensor, same lenses, and, I assume, same software. The expected, corresponding HB CFV-100c could be a quite attractive alternative to the IQ4-150 for technical camera users.
Fourth generation version is not unlikely (end of next year?) with 128MP and global shutter.

Paul Spinnler

IMO, no need to have anything else. I can see Hasselblad's X system being profitable and successful. Most importantly, it has a certain sexiness. 907X/CFV appeals both to old geezer either reminiscent or actual using parts of the Hasselblad's V system and, at the same time, has a certain hipster appeal. The X2D 100C looks great and seems to be a very capable camera. Smart to have two conceptionally different cameras; yet using the same sensor, same lenses, and, I assume, same software. The expected, corresponding HB CFV-100c could be a quite attractive alternative to the IQ4-150 for technical camera users.
Fourth generation version is not unlikely (end of next year?) with 128MP and global shutter.
I know you love the GS idea, but I bet it won't come! We'll get the same same 100 megapixel sensor everyone has.

ThdeDude

I know you love the GS idea, but I bet it won't come!
Actually, personally I am fine with the current "rolling shutter" situation. It has been my experience that the "rolling shutter", i.e. slow ES readout, of the IQ3-100 is not an issue for my landscape & seascape photography. Waves and moving clouds haven't caused any noticeable artifacts and my technical camera is anyway always tripod-mounted, so ES does not need to be able to handle being hand-held. A faster ES readout speed certainly would be nice for additional margin (fast car or boat in the scene), but I should be able to work around any potential ES's "rolling shutter" issues by going back to the mechanical Copal shutter.

It's my understanding that the Nikon's Z9 and Z8 have global shutter, so not unreasonable to expect the next 44x33mm cameras might have the same. One big advantage is that the electronic display can be lag-free. Perhaps might also enable in-camera panorama, in-camera focus-stacking, in-camera pixel shifting, and in-camera high-dynamic-range stacking.

P.S. Sorry, I just noted that I am really off-topic here.

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

Difficult to predict :
At least in some countries there is certain legality with regards to how long a manufacturer must continue to fulfill service on a product. And there could be differences between what is produced locally and products that are imported. I've never researched this, so others may have a better idea of the compliance likelihood, but in the USA, the practice has seemed to be at least 7 years from last time the product was offered as new. I'm not sure this is set in stone, but that has been the practice that we have observed - at least from companies like Phase One, etc. There can certainly be exceptions, as we've seen with some. But I would say discontinued service does not automatically mean discontinued service in the near future. It could be years. But there is definitely uncertainty, so investing carefully would be prudent. It's unlikely we'll see a statement of service commitment from Hasselblad.

I believe the discontinuation of the H3D-39 service happened at least 7 years after the product was no longer offered as a new product for purchase. But this is the discontinuation of an entire product line, so there could be differences. I think it's hard to say - I just wouldn't draw any conclusions. But certainly proceed with caution.

With regard to pricing, I think demand and availability, as always, are the heaviest influences. And in the case of lenses, perhaps we won't see much change. But with regard to bodies, and I mean specifically H5X, H6X, I've already had multiple rental houses contacting me and willing to pay significantly more to outbid others because the bodies are very hard to find.

Also, with regard to the future in Sweden, I know nothing, but I thought it was interesting that these job listings seem to be local.

https://www.hasselblad.com/about/careers/available-positions/

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

It is end of an era, for sure – the H system was for me the definition of the cutting edge of digital MF back in the late 2000s with the 39 back being the best of the best. Good old days with the 100 2.2

rollsman44

I have been shooting for 51 years( Haasy 500C/M) and Now Haasy H5D-40 and X1D2 .
Once Digital arrived I sold my 500c/m and did not get much for it many years ago. Today the prices are so much higher than when I sold mine and the HC lenses are still holding their own value. I never thought the prices would increase and so with the Contax 645 system. My feeling is that the H system will hold its own going forward.
Thats just my .02 Dennis
I dont see myself looking for anything Better in Image Quality , One more thing. The Pentax 645Z is still an Excellent MF camera. The price is till reasonable and so are the Pentax Lenses
I cant see some one who wants to get into MF system .....as this is a Good Start and Excellent IQ as well

Last edited:

ThdeDude

with regard to bodies, and I mean specifically H5X, H6X, I've already had multiple rental houses contacting me and willing to pay significantly more to outbid others because the bodies are very hard to find.
Yes, I can understand that. The viability of the their H system hinges on having backup/replacement bodies. If I would be invested in the H system, I would get a Hasselblad H film back - just in case.

rollsman44

I used to shoot film back in the day BUT now the Cost to buy the film and Process is a bit too expensive. That is a good idea though.

jduncan

At least in some countries there is certain legality with regards to how long a manufacturer must continue to fulfill service on a product. And there could be differences between what is produced locally and products that are imported. I've never researched this, so others may have a better idea of the compliance likelihood, but in the USA, the practice has seemed to be at least 7 years from last time the product was offered as new. I'm not sure this is set in stone, but that has been the practice that we have observed - at least from companies like Phase One, etc. There can certainly be exceptions, as we've seen with some. But I would say discontinued service does not automatically mean discontinued service in the near future. It could be years. But there is definitely uncertainty, so investing carefully would be prudent. It's unlikely we'll see a statement of service commitment from Hasselblad.

I believe the discontinuation of the H3D-39 service happened at least 7 years after the product was no longer offered as a new product for purchase. But this is the discontinuation of an entire product line, so there could be differences. I think it's hard to say - I just wouldn't draw any conclusions. But certainly proceed with caution.

With regard to pricing, I think demand and availability, as always, are the heaviest influences. And in the case of lenses, perhaps we won't see much change. But with regard to bodies, and I mean specifically H5X, H6X, I've already had multiple rental houses contacting me and willing to pay significantly more to outbid others because the bodies are very hard to find.

Also, with regard to the future in Sweden, I know nothing, but I thought it was interesting that these job listings seem to be local.

https://www.hasselblad.com/about/careers/available-positions/

Steve Hendrix/CI
Good catch, but I am not sure if that is good news or bad.
Hasselblad engineers have shown to be unable to create a system with even basic tracking. I am not talking about fancy eye AF I am talking about basic. 2003 tracking.
In that sense, it will be better to hire engineers in California or Israel.
The good part is that they have the excellent engineering capabilities of DJI.

Best regards,