The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Removing IR-UV cut filter of the IQ3

ThdeDude

I am considering going the "full spectrum" route by removing the S8612 IR-UV cut filter from my IQ3-100. Would use a lens mounted IR-UV filter for real color photography and would start by using a 590nm filter for "Super Color IR" (LifePixel marketing).

Looks easy enough by unscrewing the ten screws.

Done before? Any experience, suggestions or recommendations?

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

buildbot

I am considering going the "full spectrum" route by removing the S8612 IR-UV cut filter from my IQ3-100. Would use a lens mounted IR-UV filter for real color photography and would start by using a 590nm filter for "Super Color IR" (LifePixel marketing).

Looks easy enough by unscrewing the ten screws.

Done before? Any experience, suggestions or recommendations?

View attachment 203287
You are 100% the most brave person haha, I don’t think anyone has tried that on an IQ3 at least.

I don’t think that is all you need actually, because another forum member had an IQ3 that was missing those screws at one point.

I could be wrong, but Phase One will actually do this conversion for a price, switching to the filter they use on the IQ3 Achro.
I say I think because I have only seen mention of such a thing on the phase one serial prefix list:
IMG_0066.jpeg

ThdeDude

I could be wrong, but Phase One will actually do this conversion for a price, switching to the filter they use on the IQ3 Achro.
According to digitaltransitions.com/new-phase-one-iq3-100mp-achromatic-digital-back/ , "Phase One IQ3 100MP Achromatic, ... without an Infrared (IR) cut-off or Bayer pattern filter."

But still could have a glass plate as protection. Will check with PhaseOne.

Last edited by a moderator:

buildbot

According to digitaltransitions.com/new-phase-one-iq3-100mp-achromatic-digital-back/ , "Phase One IQ3 100MP Achromatic, ... without an Infrared (IR) cut-off or Bayer pattern filter."

But still could have a glass plate as protection. Will check with PhaseOne.
It 100% has glass (fused quartz?), mine does at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

tcdeveau

I’m not sure it’s as simple as removing the filter, I’d have phase do it (or reach out to life pixel or kolari vision)

ThdeDude

I’m not sure it’s as simple as removing the filter, I’d have phase do it (or reach out to life pixel or kolari vision)
Thanks for the suggestion. Already wrote to all three.

Furthermore, Rodenstock states as to their Digarons, "To avoid blurring and color fringing caused by the sensor protection glass, the calculation of the optical design includes a 2 mm thick sensor glass."

Maybe should write to Rodenstock too!

ThdeDude

PhaseOne wrote back and confirmed that they would swap out the IR-UV filter for a clear filter as used on the IQ3 Achromatic for a measly $1250.-

anwarp

I had phase change it for me on my old IQ260 a few years ago. They also adjust the sensor position slightly to compensate for the longer wavelength of IR photography.
When I use it on the XF, I have a different set of lens calibrations that I upload into the camera.
On the actus, live view is doable with a variable density filter to prevent the live view image blowing out completely. It’s easier to use the IQ4 to focus and then swap the backs!

The IQ3 100 will be straightforward to use. I wonder what the colour crosstalk will look like with IR. Will LCC work?

Good luck!

ThdeDude

The IQ3 100 will be straightforward to use. I wonder what the colour crosstalk will look like with IR. Will LCC work?
Funny, I just wrote to someone that to avoid potentially severe color crosstalk might be a good reason to get a IQ4-150 for that project.

Steve Hendrix

PhaseOne wrote back and confirmed that they would swap out the IR-UV filter for a clear filter as used on the IQ3 Achromatic for a measly $1250.-

Incidentally, we do offer this service - through Phase One, and yes, for that $1,250 price. But we will also conduct a secondary QC check before returning the digital back to you.

Steve Hendrix/CI

J S H

And also Kolari Vision wrote back: "Yes we can provide this service, it would cost $299 for the glass and service."
You can trust Kolari Vision, they are quite capable. I have had many cameras converted by them over the years, including the first GFX IR conversion they ever did. Ilija is who I deal with there and he is a stand up guy.

ThdeDude

You can trust Kolari Vision, they are quite capable. I have had many cameras converted by them over the years, including the first GFX IR conversion they ever did. Ilija is who I deal with there and he is a stand up guy.
Thanks for letting me know your experience. I also have a very positive impression so far from the e-mail correspondence.

Sergeydrag

Здравствуйте друзья! Я по неосторожности повредил защитное стекло на своем листе credo 40, само стекло удалось купить, но поменять его не могу, не могу понять, какой клей использовался и как его снять? Буду рад любому совету.

Ray Harrison

Here is a rough translation of Sergey’s post (google translate):

“Hello, friends! I inadvertently damaged the protective glass on my credo 40 sheet, I managed to buy the glass itself, but I can’t change it, I can’t understand what kind of glue was used and how to remove it? I will be glad to any advice.”

drevil

Staff member
Здравствуйте друзья! Я по неосторожности повредил защитное стекло на своем листе credo 40, само стекло удалось купить, но поменять его не могу, не могу понять, какой клей использовался и как его снять? Буду рад любому совету.
уважаемый сергей, вы уже разместили свою просьбу в другой теме, пожалуйста, прекратите спамить в других темах, когда кто-то может вам помочь, он вам поможет

translated by deepl

bellyface

I converted my P45+ to full time aerochrome-like IR. It was insanely stupidly easy to do. No dust. I called Kolari and they cut me a piece of IR Chrome Lite 54x48mm and the results are just simply amazing every time. I can confirm that it’s the same procedure on an IQ3.

Attachments