The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by biglouis

1. biglouis

All Polarizers are not equal

Maybe my eyes are going but the Hoya seems to leave more fine details than the Kase? My friend is an optician and as I understand it Hoya make most of the lenses for glasses in the world. Which is encouraging because I have always used Hoya filters (where I can) for as long as I can remember...
  2. biglouis

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Cetti's Warbler, from another trip to RSPB Fowlmere, yesterday. This is a very difficult bird to photograph. It is very secretive and normally hides deep inside trees and shrubs. In seven years of visiting Fowlmere, when I have heard this bird calling on every occasion, this is the first time I...
  3. biglouis

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

"Stop asking me if we are there yet!" - Greylag Goose with chicks. X-T4, XF200f2+TC1.4x
  4. biglouis

Photographing, restoring old black and white photos

I have a client who wants about a number of old black and white photos, stored in an album, converted to digital and restored. I have no problem with the photography part (I'll be using my Fuji X-T4 and Fuji XF80f2.8 macro to do it. However, I noticed that there are a couple of software...
  5. biglouis

Processing with DXO PureRAW 2

That's a really good workflow tip. On my next trip back to the reserve for more bird photography, I think I'll try that process first. Louis
  6. biglouis

Fun with the Ricoh GR III

GRIII, left with the 21mm adapter.
  7. biglouis

Just a couple of more examples of applying the software to raw images, this time with the XF200 on the X-T4. I really think it can make a difference. I also should add that the new masking tools, especially 'select subject' and the ability to invert the selection to deconstruct the background...
  8. biglouis

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Another photograph, X-T4/XF55-200, above Ponden, West Yorkshire, on the high moor.
  9. biglouis

GFX + TSE 24 ii + LCC

As an aside, I also stopped using my GFX MF for client work as it is to Fuji's credit that the APS-C cameras and lenses do a fine job on their own. I suppose if one was asked to a Vogue cover it might be mandatory but in general the results for architecture from the XF8-16 and for objects from...
  10. biglouis

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Ponden Moor, looking northwards, X-T4, XF55-200. Processed in DxO SilverEfex.
  11. biglouis

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

ALCOMDEN STONES - Ponden, West Yorkshire, Fujifilm X-T4, XF18-55 (forgotten how good a lens the 'kit lens' is. (Btw, as I am travelling I had to process this on my laptop so I have no idea what it really looks like, viz quality).
  12. biglouis

Thanks for sharing the process. I must give it a try. LouisB
  13. biglouis

That's an interesting process. Are you doing the layers work in Photoshop? LouisB
  14. biglouis

Great analysis and input in this thread. Without appearing ingratiating, one reason why I like hanging out here at GetDPI. My feeling is that this is not a general purpose tool but one in toolbox to be used as and when appropriate. My toolbox includes LR (even better now with the new masking...
  15. biglouis

After Rob's comment I went back and looked at your images again but my feeling is that PR2 has brought out more detail than the original processed file. Believe me,, I am sceptical about all these add-on products. So, I am surprised at the results I am getting with PR2. LouisB