The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by DDudenbostel

1. DDudenbostel

Rendering: rodenstock vs schneider vs nikkor

Old thread and I’m late to the party but most likely you’ll never see the difference between different makers lenses of the same basic formula and focal length. I was a commercial photographer for 55 years and used view cameras almost daily until digital came in and still use them to this day...
  2. DDudenbostel

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

I bought my Norma new in 1969 and the weight seemed like nothing but I was only 21 years old. Now🥵 I carried it in a heavy aluminum case all over the country on jobs. No way I can do that now. My field work is now with my Ebony or Deardorff special. Amazing what we used to lug around.
  3. DDudenbostel

Wonder if XT-5 with M adapter or PIXII for M lenses the better choice?

Surprised there’s been no response. My experience with both my X-E1 and X-T3 with Leica lenses, very disappointing. I have a v1 8 element 35 Summicron, Rigid 5cm Summicron, 75 Summilux, 90 Summicron from the 70’s, 90 Elmarit not tele version, 35 f2 Biogon and 50 f2 Planar. The two Zeiss are the...
  4. DDudenbostel

I love experimenting with processes. My degree is in microbiology and chemistry which has been helpful in photography until digital came along. Years ago I started to get into collodion and formulated my own emulsions. I really enjoyed doing wet plate and need to get back into it.
  5. DDudenbostel

I worked fortwo large ad agencies and watched our retouched use Dr Martins in his airbrush. Actually I think I still have a few Dr Martins. Dr Martins wasn’t very forgiving of mistakes if I remember correctly. I used Dr M’s with a 00 and 000 brush to spot color prints. Worked quite well. I also...
  6. DDudenbostel

Here’s something I’ve done since the mid 60’s. It sprang out of a science fair project in high school when I built an X-ray machine, yes xray machine, to irradiate seeds. I know it dangerous but I had an engineer and radiologist mentoring me. Beyond irradiating seeds I thought it would be cool...
  7. DDudenbostel

I’ve done a little coloring in photoshop but really prefer Marshall’s oils and oil based pencils on a toned silver print. The problem is there aren’t many fiber papers now with the right tooth to take the oils. I grew up using Ektalure G and X for a rougher texture and found several other papers...
  8. DDudenbostel

Here are a couple more from 2008. The first was shot on the Canham Traditional 5x7 and 240 G Claron. I believe the film was HP5 and developed in HC110B. The second I think was my Ebony 4x5 and probably the 240 G Claron or May have been a 210 Symmar S. Same film and development.
  9. DDudenbostel

Looking to Shoot Film again with Medium Format camera

Your CFV 50 II is an excellent back. I had one of the CFV39 backs and loved it. Here are a few documentary images from the 501cm and film. These are pretty small files posted from my phone so hope they’re ok.
  10. DDudenbostel

5x4 - wood (Ebony) vs metal (Linhof MT)

Ok I know this is an old thread but someone may run across the thread down the road when looking to buy a new camera. I’m a retired, after 55 years, commercial photographer. I cut my commercial teeth on 4x5 and 8x10. Even in 2023 I still shoot LF and will probably never stop. I purchased a new...
  11. DDudenbostel

Help Deciding purchasing 4x5 Film Camera as it compares to Medium Format Digital

Im not sure what technika you’re talking about, I owned two Technika 23’s, a Technika 70 and a Master Technika 4x5 I used for nearly thirty years and none are smaller than a Hasselblad. All but the 23’s had coupled RF’s with cammed lenses. The Technikardan are great but to do work up close you...
  12. DDudenbostel

Help Deciding purchasing 4x5 Film Camera as it compares to Medium Format Digital

This is really an awkward way to do a simple job. I used my Hasselblad CFV39 on both my 501cm and a Linhof Technikardan 23. The Linhof was a really sweet little system for product and architecture but outside of that I’d use the Hasselblad where everything was seamless and shooting digital was...
  13. DDudenbostel

Looking to Shoot Film again with Medium Format camera

I’m still a huge film guy. I retired last year after 55 years shooting commercial work. It was all advertising, catalogs, ads and annual reports. I used 3 Rollei SL66’s for thirty years until digital then wound up selling the system and buying Hasselblads and a digital Hasselblad back. I wound...
  14. DDudenbostel

I need to get off my lazy behind and go to my computer and post higher res files. Right now I’m being lazy and posting from my phone. The first image is 5x7 shot with my Sinar Norma and 121 Super Angulon. I think the film was Royal Pan and shot around 1976. This is a little store, long since...
  15. DDudenbostel

Shot with my 8x10 Deardorff in the mid 70’s. Original TX and HC110B. Shot with my B&L Protar 12” VIIa. The 2nd shot is a repeat of the above specs. Unfortunately I eventually sold my Protar.