The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by douglaspboyd

1. D

Batis 25 and Batis 85 - Availability and Experiences

Re: Batis 85 - in stock today at Popflash Dear David Stock, My deepest apologies. Apparently while you were dealing with address verification, my order for the last one went through. Tracking shows already in Thousand Oaks, CA, about 304 miles from here. What happened was earlier in the...
  2. D

Monitor recommendations?

Consider Vizio 43" 4K TV for $500 at Costco for photo editing
  3. D

my thoughts on the a7r mark II after 6 weddings and a couple weeks of shooting

Similar experience Greg, I also had this for a couple of weeks. I feel like an idiot for half-believing some of the Sony basher critics, especially about low light at weddings. This weekend I attended a friend's wedding as a guest. There was a team of four wedding photographers, two still...
  4. D

New lens lineup for the A7rII

I haven't laid out serious money for lenses so far-- working on living with what I have. Just finished testing all my lenses. So this is what I have found works well on A7rII: 1. Sony 10-18mm zoom lens. This covers the range of 12-16mm for me with minor smearing in the corners. Not a...
  5. D

A7rII Owners - List Your MINOR Complaints!

No complaints here! For me this is the perfect camera that I had always imagined starting from the 1940s with a 120 folders and a view camera. ISO 100,000- check, 42 mp to match 4x5 b&w film- check, 4K pro video- check, fast manual focus <.5s- check, auto focus for many lenses-- check. What...
  6. D

So, is it a keeper? (A7R II)

Another reason to keep it: The amazing Sony 28mm f2 lens! 28mm f2 FE lens just arrived from Japan. Paid $400. This lens is amazing on the A7rII, ultra-light, ultra-inconspicuous, ultra-sharp. The camera plus lens comes in under 2 pounds at 30 oz. What a great street lens. Sharpness is...
  7. D

So, is it a keeper? (A7R II)

Re: So, is it a keeper? (A7R II) YES for me Mine arrived 2 hours ago, and I snapped a picture of my wife using the Nikon 85mm f1.8 D lens on manual focus. This was at 1/125th, f1.8, ISO100. Not completely sharp because Steadyshot was not set to 85mm (camera shipped at 5mm), and the Nikon lens...
  8. D

A7RII game plan

Yes, this will work. My workaround has been to use a similar flash, Flashpoint 620M which is held by an assistant. However, I have been looking for a more portable solution. I also tried Sony RX100II and RX10 but you can't see the screen in bright sunlight. I considered RX1, but when you...
  9. D

A7RII game plan

I will wait and see before deciding if the A7RII can replace my D800e-- for me it is about the shutter lag problem. I know this is improved, but the A7r was so bad that a small improvement would not be enough. However, so far it doesn't look like A7rII can replace Hasselblad H3DII-39, because...
  10. D

Which Camera to bring to Russia?

Dear Rafael, Here are some from St. Petersburg. This city is all that I had imagined and much more. The Hermitage is unbelievable. This is a great time to visit since there seem to be almost no tourists, and the exchange rate is very favorable for the dollar, so it is actually possible to...
  11. D

Okay, heading home from Russia now. I ended up using the Sony RX100ii almost exclusively in Moscow and St. Petersburg. The 28mm equiv, f1.8 lens was perfect for almost every shot. I set the ISO to 800, used the built-in bounce flash occasionally, and also used the zoom only a few times. I had...
  12. D

"Re: Which Camera to bring to Russia? douglaspboyd, are you sure that a minimum 20mp from the likes of a RX100iii would be better than the likes of a m43 or APS-C 16Mp camera?" Maybe the image quality of RX100ii will be similar to M43 and APS-16mp, but the RX100 is a pocket camera with an f1.8...
  13. D

The Galaxy Note 4 cell phone camera comes close to competing in this group as well, and I will have it with me for backup. Here are its main specs: Weight: 0.35 pounds (1/2 the weight of RX100) Aperture f2.2 Resolution: 16 mp (5312x2988) Stabilized: OIS...
  14. D

I meant that although the D800/E weighs 2 pounds for body alone compared to 1 pound for A7/s, once you add in 3 pounds or so for zoom lenses, the difference is not that much. Even using slower, lightweight lenses an A7 kit is going to be well over 2 pounds. For travel it seems that the ideal...
  15. D

Hi do members have any advice for me. Next week I'm heading out to Moscow and St. Petersburg and trying to decide which camera(s) to bring. I usually print at 20"x30" using Costco's excellent 8.95 service, so I will need 20mp of good pixels. But I want to travel light. Since it is winter, I...