The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by horshack

1. H

High ISO Test: A7s vs Df vs A7r vs A7

Here's an ISO 12,800 image from the Df (20 second exposure): And an ISO 12,800 from the A7s (15 second exposure): Both are suitable to my tastes for large'ish prints.
  2. H

High ISO Test: A7s vs Df vs A7r vs A7

The D3 and D3s had modest banding at Ultra High ISOs. It's not very noticeable on the D4s/Df.
  3. H

New A7II Users Reports

I discussed why this is the case in a post here
  4. H

New A7II Users Reports

The A7II likely has the same sensor as the A7 and thus the same base ISO dynamic range, which is very close to the RX1. Here is a low and high ISO comparison I did between the A7r, A7, and A7s - look at the ISO 100 -5EV for a comparison of base ISO DR/shadow pushing...
  5. H

The Sony A7II

My B&H preorder status now reads "In stock, order sent to warehouse". Looks like they'll meet the original release date of the 9th (tomorrow).
  6. H

A7R Persistent Sensorspots?

This guy reported that Sony had to replace the sensor to remove his: Re: A7R persistent sensor spots (not dust, can't be cleaned, it's under the sensor cover): Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
  7. H

The Sony A7II

Because the pixel density for a 24MP FF sensor is not high enough to avoid aliasing/false detail in a lot of shooting situations.
  8. H

The Sony A7II

Never could get a significant benefit from the IBIS on A900 or A99. Plus the A99 is a bit behind in low-light performance vs non-SLT implementations of the Sony Exmors.
  9. H

The Sony A7II

The situations where Sony's compression has an effect on IQ are exceedingly remote. At the height of the hysteria many were blaming the compression on all kinds of otherwise typical image artifacts, 99% of which had nothing to do with the compression. To help sort that situation out I wrote free...
  10. H

The Sony A7II

I'll be placing a preorder as soon as Sony USA gets around to announcing this thing in the states. I'm a huge fan of the IBIS on the Olympus bodies and having it on a FF sensor will open up lots of new hand-held shooting opportunities that aren't currently possible with other cameras.
  11. H

The Sony A7II

The A7 doesn't have any shutter vibration issues, even when EFCS is not used. The A7r had vibration issues.
  12. H

Sony Play Memories Snafu

Yep, the play memories remote app keeps its own set of settings unfortunately. It also doesn't give you the full selection of settings available to the camera. For example, you can't do raw-only; has to be raw+JPEG. On the A7s, the fully electronic shutter mode isn't available. I'm sure there...
  13. H

Fun with A7S

Quick tip for those who shoot at very high ISO (> 12,800) on the A7s and process in Lightroom or Photoshop. The default color noise reduction slider value is 25, which is far too much on the A7s. That value causes significant desaturation of colors, making them look washed out. I'm usually...
  14. H

The most amazing thing happened today...

I don't disagree with you but the beginners and mom 'n pops ships have sailed - they're not buying standalone single-purpose cameras any more. This is why most companies are focusing on speciality prosumer markets, cameras like the A7 series, RX100, and D810. What we would consider a reasonable...
  15. H

The most amazing thing happened today...

If photography becomes more niche as indicated by the continuing drop in sales across all markets (P&S, entry-level DSLR, prosumer DSLR, pro DSLR), then prices will have to go up further to support the remaining products they do sell.