The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by jjphoto

1. J

Portraits with an enlarger lens?

I don't have any portraits shot with EL's on the internet as I shoot them for publications/magazines and I don't feel comfortable publishing them elsewhere (I don't shoot them for myself). Big time! Regarding your specific application, you should probably talk to Zork about that.
  2. J

Portraits with an enlarger lens?

There is no reason NOT to use enlarging lenses for portraits or other types of photography as long as you are happy with the rendering you get from your chosen lens. I regularly use various enlarging lenses on a 5D2 for portraits and also for the equivalent of 'product' shots. Setup used on the...
  3. J

Leica 180/2 vs. Nikon 200/2 VR

It's probably worth trying to get a polarising filter but it all depends on the kind of work you do. I tend not to use mine, because I normally use the Cron for shooting people, but it's there if I need it. I paid over $600 for the filter, but that was new. Mind you I had the lens for well over...
  4. J

TLRs anyone?

You can't beat a TLR for candid photography. You have to hold a leica, or typical range finder, to your eye to compose whilst you can casually look down into the viewfinder of a TLR and your subjects haven't a clue what's happening. The leaf shutters are virtually inaudible too. I love TLR's for...
  5. J

FS: (Australia) Canon 1dsmk2 body, 2 x batt's, complete, boxed, excellent condition

Price reduced to $2100 AUD, negotiable. JJ
  6. J

FS: (Australia) Canon 1dsmk2 body, 2 x batt's, complete, boxed, excellent condition

Canon 1dsmk2 body, 2 x batteries, complete, boxed, in excellent condition. Reluctant sale. Asking $2200 plus shipping in Australia only (I will only ship via Registered Mail with Insurance). I can also accept Credit Cards and PayPal but add 3% for those. Pick up is OK in Melbourne. This is a...
  7. J

Why do I need an expensive tripod?

I have quite a few tripods, very big/heavy, medium size/weight, very small/light, some custom made ones, such as ground level or car mounts for example, see below; There is no single tripod that will do everything perfectly. It does not exist so don't waste your time. In terms of return on...
  8. J

Why do I need an expensive tripod?

A long time ago I was having issues with sharpness that I simply couldn't explain. I was shooting cars and often with the tripod quite high up and I would need to use a small step ladder. I had a large 075B Manfrotto which "looks" very solid but was in fact prone to vibration, even though each...
  9. J

metz 54mz flash series?

I really don't know. Maybe they are your only option. I've only ever used them on Leica and Canon bodies, not with your setup. They are actually a very good flash, which I why I had several of them, but I just don't see them lasting very long with anything more than amateur use. The front...
  10. J

metz 54mz flash series?

Don't do it! I've had 3 54 MZ 3/4's over the years, all used heavilly, and they've all been repaired at various times. Presently they are all dead and will never be repaired again. Good money out for bad IMHO. JJ
  11. J

Can C1 eliminate stuck pixels?

I've just found that I have a stuck pixel with a Canon 40D. When I used C1 3.7.8 it eliminated stuck pixels automatically but C1 v4 doesn't seem to do that or offer any otions. Is there anything I can do to eliminate stuck pixels with C1 v4? Thanks JJ
  12. J

Mamiya 35 F3.5 N (M645 manual focus lens)

Thanks. I had the previous (not the "N") version about 20 years ago and I vaguely remember that it needed to be stopped down to get a very sharp image. I think I remember it to be noticeably lacking in sharpness until then. But that was back in the film days and it was actually one of the first...
  13. J

Mamiya 35 F3.5 N (M645 manual focus lens)

Does anyone have any actual experience with this lens or examples of images they could post. There seem to be varying opinions about this lens which by itself suggest it is a marginal performer. I'd be interested in seeing edge or wide aperture performance and maybe comparisons with 'better'...
  14. J

Noise problems with CO Pro 4.7

Thanks Jack Does that mean that you also need to leave the sharpening settings to default or just the noise reduction settings? Also, any idea what the defaults are, I'm pretty sure I've altered those to a new default setting? Thanks JJ
  15. J

Noise problems with CO Pro 4.7

I've relucently upgraded from 3.7.8 to C1 Pro 4.7 and am having trouble with noise when I never did prevoiously. I've tried playing with various sharpness and noise setting but I'm still noticing more noise then I ever did with 3.7.8. I'm using Canon 1dsMk2 and 40d and at 100ISO so noise...