The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by narikin

1. N

Alpa 12 Plus Announcement

Congratulations. The 12+ is a great camera and Alpa did well with it. I thought about cross-grading from my MAX, but decided to stick with what I have. It is worthwhile to note that the Max has 25mm of rise, - the most needed/used movement in tech cameras, to get the top of a building in...
  2. N

Rodenstock*90mm f/5.6 HR Digaron-W/SW Lens VS The previous generation

The Schneider SK 90mm. It's sharper, faster and lighter. Has a slightly smaller IC, but much better res within that. A new aperture only version came out this year, and people re-discovered how good this lens is. Search this forum for big positive comments on it.
  3. N

'Luckily' it's just lenses and not the rest. It's so random - why a camera lens and not a camera body? And yes that includes all Rodenstock and Schneider ones, and (eg) Japanese made but 'German designed' ones, and Alpa mounted 'Swiss' ones. A 90mm HRSW is now 25% more to US customers than it...
  4. N

I'll repeat my earlier post above, having owned all three 90mm lenses. One update to it: Rodenstock are now re-designing the 70mm, so we can expect a 70mm HR-SW next year. (Oh, and prices have gone up by 25% this fall courtesy of tariff's. 'Lenses' was an item randomly thrown into the...
  5. N

Shooting the Phase 4150 at F9

I've been amazed for years by people saying they shoot at F11 and think they are getting the best from their lens/back. with old film era lenses, maybe it's moot, but a good modern digital era lens: it's night and day - diffraction is that bad! If you have to shoot at f11, then you have to. If...
  6. N

Phase One XT Camera Revelations and Considerations

Steve, thanks for your responses. 1: The accessory shoe needs to be mounted onto the camera body, not onto a 'compendium lens shade' that is just a plain bad design. (and ridiculous that you have to buy a $655 !! hood that you likely don't want, in order to attach a $105 accessory shoe!) Oh and...
  7. N

40mm is a waste as there is a 32mm already! The 50 and 40mm Roddie's are both workhorses (same generation, same design), and both excellent. 23, 32 and 70 are what there is now. so put a 50mm in the middle. And a longer lens - the 90mm HRSW ideally. the 70mm is an old design currently being...
  8. N

Long term tech user here. Had an XT demo the other day. It's all about the shutter, nothing else is remotely that special. The shutter is great - quite, quick and very minimal. The one and only reason to consider this 'system'. The XT body - quite honestly I feel Alpa has a better range of tech...
  9. N

Help with 2nd lens choice for technical camera please

It's f6.8. If it follows the 90mm HRSW, which they say it does, then the ultimate sharpness will be in the center wide open at f6.8, but examine the corners, or shift into that 110mm image circle, and you'll find resolution there clearly improved by stopping down one or two clicks to f8 or f11...
  10. N

Phase One XT: The First Modern Field Camera (and X-Shutter and new firmware)

Glad I left this thread many days ago. It certainly took a weird turn! Agree with both sides here. Doug is a smart and hard working rep of his company and Phase One, with deep and valuable knowledge. We are lucky to have him contribute here. He has gotten a good number of people out of deep...
  11. N

Help with 2nd lens choice for technical camera please

Completely agree. Underwhelmed by the 70mm too. I have owned 8 Alpa lenses and sold the 70mm with zero regrets. No idea why people rate it, but a good number do. As ever, YMMV... Agree about the 50mm - truly excellent and 90HRSW (must be the HRSW, no other version) - stunning corner to...
  12. N

New MF considerations when printing large

Actually the newest generation of Epson printers - P10000 and P20000 - now have heads that print at 150/300/600dpi. It seems they have followed Canon in this respect.
  13. N

Doug, I could respond the same way: Alpa FPS is same price or cheaper if you include lenses. FPS does much higher shutter speeds and much longer shutter speeds. It is available used. Lenses are available used. You can use Canon, Nikon, Rollei, Contax, Mamiya, and yes Rodenstock and...
  14. N

After 24hrs thought, I have to say: Meh... This is simply a pancake tech camera, for wide angle work, manual focus, with an electronic leaf shutter replacing Copal ones. You can get an Alpa STC (or Cambo) with the same movements -more in fact- and the exact same lenses, and attach your IQ4 to...