The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EOS R5 Announcement

jdphoto

I primarily shoot stills, but if I purchased the R5/R6, It better work as advertised. If a newly launched camera can get this much bad advertising, Canon needs a redesign/recall of the R series. After looking at the link, and all the cheap plastic, I more convinced that film is for me.

iiiNelson

I primarily shoot stills, but if I purchased the R5/R6, It better work as advertised. If a newly launched camera can get this much bad advertising, Canon needs a redesign/recall of the R series. After looking at the link, and all the cheap plastic, I more convinced that film is for me.
I think that ultimately legal action (or the threat of it) will determine this. From an engineering standpoint, it seems that the CPU wasn’t as protected as it could’ve been If heat is a concern. From a marketing standpoint, it feels like they spent so much time highlighting the video features that are ultimately what is being the most scrutinized. Went by the local shop a few days ago and they have already sold 15 R5’s with another 45 bodies already prepaid on the list. They aren’t expecting to have a display model until January (short of people cancelling orders) so I think it’s do well for photography but for video the recovery time seems to be the biggest issue.

peterb

Five years ago I had to sell my beloved 6D and 50mm f1.2 L to pay for a cancer treatment which I thankfully beat. The financial struggle is over and I'm now going to jump back in with an R5 and 50mm f1.2 RF. Sooooooooo looking forward to this camera. Features that got me aside from landing in a sweet spot of the megapixel wars and apparently decent dynamic range are the incredible human/animal eye AF and the articulating screen. The 8K will be nice but I'm not really into that...yet.