The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji gfx 100s + tilt/shift vs Phase one iq150 on tech cam

PatrickH

Hi everyone,

I’m newly registered and already have some questions.
I photograph most of my commercial work with a Phase one iq150 on a Cambo wrs and a Rodenstock hr digaron-s 35mm. I do quite a lot of stitching when confronted with tight interior spaces. I like the results and the image quality.
But… recently I got a Fuji gfx 100s and I really like this camera as well! Now I’m contemplating in getting a tilt shift lense, maybe the canon 24ts for the Fuji gfx and replace my Phase one setup. Not having to do lcc shots in between would be very cool and beeing a little bit more flexible with lense choices is a plus. I read a ton of infos on adapted Tilt shift lenses on the Fuji gfx but haven’t seen anyone who compared the two setups. Maybe someone from here has experience?
Does anyone know if the image quality of the canons 24ts is comparable with the rodenstock hr digaron-s 35mm? Would I be disappointed if I replace my Phase one Setup with a Fuji gfx 100s/ 24ts combo?

✌

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi everyone,

I photograph most of my commercial work with a Phase one iq150 on a Cambo wrs and a Rodenstock hr digaron-s 35mm. I do quite a lot of stitching when confronted with tight interior spaces. I like the results and the image quality.
But… recently I got a Fuji gfx 100s and I really like this camera as well! Now I’m contemplating in getting a tilt shift lense, maybe the canon 24ts for the Fuji gfx and replace my Phase one setup. Not having to do lcc shots in between would be very cool and beeing a little bit more flexible with lense choices is a plus. I read a ton of infos on adapted Tilt shift lenses on the Fuji gfx but haven’t seen anyone who compared the two setups. Maybe someone from here has experience?
Does anyone know if the image quality of the canons 24ts is comparable with the rodenstock hr digaron-s 35mm? Would I be disappointed if I replace my Phase one Setup with a Fuji gfx 100s/ 24ts combo?

✌
I do not have experience with that particular tech cam setup, but I did use the Canon 24 TS-E on the GFX 100. It is not great in the corners with, say, 8mm shift. If the corners are the sky, it's no problem. But I would be concerned for interior spaces. Good enough? I can't say, but definitely not comparable to the center.

Greg Haag

Patrick, I do not have the exact comparison you would be looking at, but I will share my experience. I have the IQ4 150/Cambo 1600/Rodenstock 32mm and the GFX100s with adapted canon 24ts (not the most recent version). My 24ts experience is similar to Matt's, the corners were noticeably soft, I do not know if that would improve with the most current canon 24ts. For my setup, the Rodenstock 32mm generates superior results.

Alkibiades

Hi everyone,

✌
There are no lens that could replace your Digaron-S 35 mm on Fuji 100S.
24 TS version II is a really great lens when moved not too much but cannot be comared with the 35 hr.
The best tilt-shift lens on Fuji 100S is the Canon 50 ts-e. I would compare this lens to Digaron-W HR 50 mm. My tests of both lenses on the Fuji give best results. the 50 mm allows full 12 mm movements on fuji in really best Quality. The corners are really sharp- not like the 24 ts.
Also the other new canon ts-e are great: 90 mm and 135 mm.
But sometimes it seems to me that phase one combo with Digarons give better image quality at all than fuji with Canon shift lenses. lenses are nowerdays more important than the difference between 50 and 100 MP.

diggles

It depends on your goal with the set up. If you are looking for the highest quality possible then you won't be able to beat the Phase One setup. If you are looking to deliver professional quality images and a streamlined workflow then the GFX 100S is an excellent option.

I have the IQ4 150, but not the digaron-s, I'm using the Schneider lenses. The quality is fantastic, but delivery of 150mp files is not important to my clients. I deliver 6000px (on the long size) files to clients and the Canon 24 TS-E II handles it professionally.

For a recent shoot, I had a lot of photos to make. I used the GFX 100S and Canon TS-E and Fuji GF lenses for all the interiors because I can move more quickly with that setup. I went back for the exteriors on a different day and had more time for those so I used the IQ4, mainly because it is more fun to use.

GFX 100S with Canon TS-E II 24mm
20221011-Eaton-ES-2076-2083 by Warren Diggles, on Flickr

IQ4 150 with Schneider 28XL
Warren Diggles, on Flickr

Last edited:

rdeloe

It depends on your goal with the set up. If you are looking for the highest quality possible then you won't be able to beat the Phase One setup. If you are looking to deliver professional quality images and a streamlined workflow then the GFX 100S is an excellent option.

I have the IQ4 150, but not the digaron-s, I'm using the Schneider lenses. The quality is fantastic, but delivery of 150mp files is not important to my clients. I deliver 6000px (on the long size) files to clients and the Canon 24 TS-E II handles it professionally.

For a recent shoot, I had a lot of photos to make. I used the GFX 100S and Canon TS-E and Fuji GF lenses for all the interiors because I can move more quickly with that setup. I went back for the exteriors on a different day and had more time for those so I used the IQ4, mainly because it is more fun to use.

GFX 100S with Canon TS-E II 24mm

IQ4 150 with Schneider 28XL
That's a superbly useful testimonial from someone doing it for a living. The pictures speak for themselves.

I'd be worried about those two boys though. They look like they are up to no good! ;)

AndyPtak

To carry on a theme that Warren started, I have an older Mamiya 645D2 and a couple of Phase lenses, all of which I use occasionally becasue they're heavy and clunky. Most of the time I shoot Sony with a variety of Sony GM and other adapted lenses because it's easy and fast in comparison. I love the Phase lenses though and I'm wondering about getting the 40-80 Blue Ring to use on the Sony. It will get a lot more use this way. Am I deluding myself and will it make that much of a difference with the smaller sensor? Sorry to hijack this thread guys.

ruebe

i can‘t offer a direct comparison (never shot the 100MP) but am also in the iq150 camp (SK 43XL). if i have my math right the TS-E 24mm will be a 19mm-ish lens on your GFX. i used to have a version II (significantly better than the first one, especially in the corners!) on a GFX50s which delivered nicely but felt always too wide for me. the other point is loosing the ability to shift horizontal and vertical at the same time (or are there adapters for this now?). also i can shift quite a bit more on the techcam that let me go the other way in the end (from fuji to P1). but of course lcc and stitching are annoying at times. third point: isn‘t there a cambo TS-E adapter plate???

pigtango

You can do XY shift of canon lenses using an Arca Swiss view or tech camera. They make a Canon EOS electronic aperture control lens board powered via a lipstick battery. Works on any of thier cameras with a 110 front standard. You can use a GFX or Phase back on them. Any GFX will work with the view camera though the grip might get in the way Depending which way you shift. The 50r works with no restrictions and the 50r will also work with the RM3di. Phase backs will work with either.

PatrickH

Thank you for your Input! I’m relay happy with the results the phase/digaron-s combination delivers. But I might try the ts adapted lense for the gfx system to be a little faster on the job and also in post processing. As diggles said, most of the times it does not depend on the best image quality possible. Most of my work is going to be printed in magazines and presented online. And I do not even crop that often afterwards. Only the difference in how wide the lense is compared to the 35mm Rodenstock is something I have to test out I think. And maybe next year Fuji will release the native ts lenses for the gfx :)

kdphotography

I bet the Fuji GF t/s lenses are right in time for Christmas! :)

I'll stick with the Cambo because I enjoy it so much more than my GFX 100s.

But definitely kudos to Fuji for offering t/s options for the GFX system.

Greg Haag

Ken, I am in the same spot, as much as I would like to consolidate to a single system (which for me would mean the GFX), I can't seem to bring myself to moving away from the Combo. It is my favorite setup I have ever had.

Steve Hendrix

Well I hate to be the cold splash in the pond, but the Fuji GF 30mm TS/110mm TS lenses will not ship until 2023.

Should we start our wish list? Oh! We already have. Get on it!

Steve Hendrix/CI