The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Intrepid making new lens with mech shutter

P. Chong

Just saw this over on the Interpid Cameras IG Stories. Some info that they are making their own lens. All glass, Alu body 150mm f/4.5 lens with their own Copal 1 shutter. Note: they are making their own shutter. Seems pretty exciting.

* trying to attach an iPhone screenshot, but looks like I am not able to. Head to their UG story for the “announcement” and Q&A.

Last edited:

Doppler9000

Just saw this over on the Interpid Cameras IG Stories. Some info that they are making their own lens. All glass, Alu body 150mm f/4.5 lens with their own Copal 1 shutter. Note: they are making their own shutter. Seems pretty exciting.

* trying to attach an iPhone screenshot, but looks like I am not able to. Head to their UG story for the “announcement” and Q&A.
IMG_4178.jpegIMG_4176.jpeg

Paul Spinnler

Well if they can copy the SK Xenotar 150 2.8 ... that would be even more amazing. But own copal shutter replacement for LF is a pretty huge deal tbh

Focusrite

Their prototype shutter looks 3D printed, which would be a good way to guarantee a lifetime of spare parts availability, aside from perhaps the electronics for actuation. It will be interesting to see if once they have completed the proof-of-concept they will switch over to machined aluminium or injection moulding for the some of the more stressed/precision components in the finished product.

What amused me with the video was what appeared to be the technician cycling through different shutter speeds, which looked to me like simply slowing down the speed at which the shutter blades open and close rather than increasing/decreasing the dwell time between the blades actuating. I wouldn't expect that to be the actual mechanism in any finished product (or even the point of whatever the tech is testing!) but that couldn't be good for even illumination across the frame? Or if the aperture was stopped down would it actually matter once the blades cleared the diameter of the aperture opening?

Even so, advanced tinkering like this is always fun to see, and if the shutter works well as a direct Copal replacement and is affordable it may end up being more popular as a stand-alone unit than the lens itself!

anyone

The effort to develop a new shutter is nice. However, given the track record in terms of quality of the company alongside public statements that things don't need to last forever, let's see.