The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. P

COVID 19 Lock Down Photo trips

Sadly, France is in lockdown again. So it seemed appropriate to revive this thread (if not, apologies in advance, but it did sound like a better idea then recreating a thread). So here goes, with a couple of pics. The first one -how obvious is that?- is called: lockdown. The second illustrates...
  2. P

COVID 19 Lock Down Photo trips

In Europe, lockdown meant strict, tough lockdown. No motor "leasure" trips allowed. Only trips to buy essentials, with limited timing to do so. So no trips to lovely spots so well captured in your delightful images and video. But no criticism implied whatsoever that you were allowed to do so. So...
  3. P

PSA> Loxia 35 in stock

My experience with the ZM 35 f:1.4 is rather different from Viktor's. At infinity, some smearing is visible in the extreme corners at f:2.8, that cleans up entirely by f:5.6. I don't yet know if it is due to A7R-related issues, or field curvature (will know more this week-end) as with the 'Lux...
  4. P

New Sony lens mockups. No thanks.

The ever-increasing resolution of sensors, plus pixel-peaking, plus the priority given by tests to wide open sharpness, all point to lenses getting larger. Basically, the Otus 55 is an MF lens, with the corners of the image not used by an FF sensor. If you are using a short register, you are...
  5. P

PSA> Loxia 35 in stock

It is easy to call the Loxia overpriced, and I'd love to do that like many of you. But, for me to be able to do that, I need to find a better lens at the same price, or a similar lens that is cheaper. I am therefore all ears for your enlightened suggestions. Please note that I had a FE 55 and it...
  6. P

PSA> Loxia 35 in stock

Vivek, I beg to differ. I won a Loxia 50 and really enjoy that lens. Not flawless, but what lens is, short of Otus 55 or Summicron 50 APO maybe. But, as an all-round take-anywhere, shoot-anything, it is a gem.
  7. P

New A7II Users Reports

I beg to differ, Jono. A friend a I were out shooting on a rainy day, both with A7Rs. It was rainy abnd very damp, but certainly no downpour, else we would have found shelter. Both our cameras developped malfunctions, and we quit. Later, things righted themselves once they had dried out.
  8. P

Sony FE 16-35/f4

One of the reasons this thread may have gone a little quiet is that availability does not yet seem to be universal. I am waiting to try one out, but my dealer hasn't received one yet, and claims no one yet has either in France.
  9. P

Sony FE 16-35/f4

I don't think it is altogether reasonable to harbor too much hope that a zoom lens like the 16-35 will outperform a lens costing some 3x to 4X more. That could be happen if the WATE didn't mate well to the A7R, but this isn't the case. In a straight shoot-out, either the Leica wins, or they are...
  10. P

Sony FE 16-35/f4

I tried a second-hand WATE a while back for some 3 weeks. Corner performance et al. indeed impressive, but I felt it was not the best in other terms. Not bad in any way, just not quite as good as Super Elmar 21 and Elmar 24, so I didn't buy such as expensive lens for next-to-best performance...
  11. P

Loxia or FE 55?

You are a bunch of talented 'togs, but I really wonder how you can love the FE55. Sure, it is sharp as all hell, including wide open. But I found the colours of mine (I tried 3 copies, bought one) indifferent, and totally failed to get any emotional connection with mine. Once I got the Loxia, it...
  12. P

Loxia or FE 55?

I hardly take it off my A7R, it is such a delight to use, and so good at just about everything.
  13. P

leica m to e adapters compared

Sergio, I have a Hawk's and a Novoflex. While my Hawk's is not decentered, it wobbles, which is a common issue with the earlier ones. That might account for what you are seeing, and can be seen on some of my shots.
  14. P

Sony 35/2.8 vs Leica 35mm

There will soon be quite a bit of choice of native 35mm lenses for FE mount: Sony-Zeiss FE 35 f:2.8, Sony-Zeiss FE 35 f:1.4, Zeiss Loxia f:2.0. Plus, you can also look at the brand new Zeiss ZM 35 f:1.4
  15. P

Fun manual lens for A7 series?

My Loxia 50 is such a great complement to my A7R. It just feels right, both as a physical package and in IQ. It is also semi-electronic in the sense that, as soon as you move the focusing ring, it leaps to magnified mode, a neat trick! And I get EXIF as well. Highly recommended! Pics available...
  16. P

which raw converter for A7s/A7??

I used LightRoom for years until I got LR5, then moved over to Capture One Pro 7. I never looked back. Better IQ, better features, much better support AFAIAC. The fact that C1 and Sony are officially partners also gives an extra measure of confidence that this is going to last.
  17. P

Sony FE 16-35/f4

They may be offered for sale in Asia, but they haven't shown up in Europe yet, as far as I know.
  18. P

Sigma : FE mount too small for ART quality lenses

I think there are a variety of reasons why Sigma aren't yet releasing lenses for the A7. One is that, for premium lenses, Sony-Zeiss and Zeiss themselves have a huge advantage, and that would be hard for Sigma to overcome, except maybe in the short term. Then, porting a design to the A7 may not...
  19. P

Sony FE 16-35/f4

Is it just me, or are the pictures on the review posted by SAR really promising? I am impressed by the close-up sharpness and nice bokeh.
  20. P

Sony a7r jaggies

OK, in fairness to Daf, I can see jaggies as well. Specifically, if you use the magnified version of Scho's picture, and view the centre top crop, I can see a few "jagged" branches that are definitely not due to some form of blur. It looks typically like the sort of artefact you get when using...