The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. L

New Sigma DP Merrill's?

I'm excited. I own the DP3 Merrill and was about to buy the DP2 when and if the prices dropped a bit. Well, now I can wait for the Quatro. Why? We know the lens is great . . . it's the same lens. The lens should be designed for the Foveon sensor. Here's what looks new to me. If the image...
  2. L

What is the attraction to vintage Leica lenses?

Very interesting discussion, to say the least. I would think that what was said about the "75mm 'Cron and the 28mm 'Cron both have a very similar drawing signature" would also apply to the 75mm Lux and 50mm Lux Pre-asph, which supposedly had the same design. Had both at one time and thought...
  3. L

M Monochrom . . . . it's not a review folks

It's always amazing to me that someone would lament the inability to shoot in color when they mainly want to work in B&W most of the time. Why? Anyone who can afford a $7000 Leica M or the new monochrome only version for $8000 can easily add any outstanding digital color camera from $400-$1000...
  4. L

What 4/3 camera to supplment medium format outfit for safari and sport?

I traveled with an M8 (50mm, 35mm lenses) and G1 with the 90-200mm telephoto lens. The G1 (and hence, my new G3 or GH2 with 100-300mm lens) and zoom lens were so light that I could walk around the islands in the Galapagos with both of them around my neck. During serious walking, I could hole...
  5. L

Leica Lens Price Increases

Just wait. There will be a thread on whether it's better to buy a lens made in the old factory or the new, similar to the old thread about Canadian or German made versions of the same lens. I'll go first and say, "get the one from the old factory." For no particular reason, of course.
  6. L

Sunday Sale at Target - GF3 w/ 14-43

I think we're seeing too many cameras coming too soon. New buyers have a huge complicated set of good choices now. Old buyers are still happy with what they have. I skipped from a G1 to a G3, but probably could have/should have waited for the G4. But I'm very happy with the G3 and the...
  7. L

Anyone used a M9 with a Summicron RIGID?

Wow. Some very nice photos. I was wise enough to buy a rigid a year or two ago for around $600, which seemed quite reasonable at the time. It seemed brand new to me when it arrived, mechanically and the glass. I thought I would use it on my M8 for B&W photos. But the M9 and new 50mm Lux...
  8. L

ISO 65,000-ish GH2 experiment

I must have missed the point. I thought the idea of the first photo was to produce a nice grainy B&W image. It succeeded. I don't see what the point would be of creating a flawless image at this high ISO. How often would you need to do that? All you have to do is turn on a light somewhere...
  9. L

Problem with m42 Pentax to 4/3 adapter on G1

I considered keeping the adapter with the flange for the other two lenses. One reason, it only cost $12.00 via Amazon.com (still shipped by Fotodiox). I'm not sure it's worth the return shipping cost to send it back for an exchange. The one without the flange at either place is still only $...
  10. L

Black & White work

Very rare to see such consistently good photographs posted across all photographers. They're all keepers. Congratulations to everyone. Quite a tribute to the cameras and lenses you're all using, but this is a good opportunity to remind us all that "It's the photographer not the camera that...
  11. L

Tesselator: Thanks for the quick reply. You're right and the adapter you recommended doesn't seem to have the solid lipped flange like the one I have. I wrote to Fotodiox about the problem, but no answer yet. It looks like Fotodiox now sells the same adapter you recommended. The one I just...
  12. L

Used prices climbing?

My wife has grown so weary of my saying that I would sell a couple of lenses to help pay off my M9--and now 50mm Asph--that she asked me to give them to her for Christmas so she could sell them. [As we all know, she's more or less free to do that anyway.] What she doesn't know is that once she...
  13. L

I just received an adapter from Fotodiox to mount Pentax screwmount lenses on my G1. The adapter that came works okay with two of my lenses (55mm f1.8 and 135mm lenses), but it does not work with the one I bought it for. The Takamur 50mm F1.4 lens has a metal tab that extends below the threads...
  14. L

Leica lenses on mFT bodies: how do the images compare to Leica M8/9?

I've used Leica lenses and Zeiss Contax G1/2 lenses on my Panasonic G1 with adapters. I also now have a Leica M9. The quality of the images on the G1 with these lenses are quite apparent, but the real difference comes from the sensors. There's no comparison there. The M9 sensor is amazing...
  15. L

I really Like Lux 24 :)

I agree with Graham: you gotta give a lot of the credit to the photogapher and the kids on the 4th one. Same with the later one of the girl reaching out of the box. We also now know that the 24 Lux is the perfect camera for photographing your wife across the table at dinner without having to...
  16. L

First major (US) G2 review

W is a really bad naming letter. X and Z's are real "high tech" but now totally over used. What to do. ABC's remind us too much of school. How about "Code Blue," followed by a more advanced camera called "Code Opel" They could copy the wine houses and give up on American's trying to...
  17. L

New 35/1.4 Summilux Announced

It won't be nearly as good as the current 35mm Lux (pre-Asph). Now what exactly does "good" means?
  18. L

G1 or G2

For the price, the G2 just didn't seem like a big enough improvement over the G1. I agree that it would be better to invest in say the 20mm f1.7 fixed lens instead and then wait for a more substantially improved (esp. the sensor) G3. The lens you bought will still be exactly what you want to...
  19. L

Infinity focus with micro 4/3rds adapter question

If you want some real fun, try using the Contax G1/2 autofocus lenses on a Panasonic G1 with any adapter. There is no infinity position on the focus ring because there is not focus ring! I was off shore in Puerto Vallarta trying to shoot whales at a distance (grey whales) against a grey sea...
  20. L

Panasonic G1 45-200mm

Sometimes I think the lenses are better than the sensor. The good news is that the sensors should keep getting better and better and we can still use the same lenses.