The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. S

I Just Assassinated My A7S!

Hi Chuck, Glad you are enjoying your new Ninja. Given Sony's class leading sensors, it's really a shame the don't offer 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 video out the HDMI port -- that & the Ninja Assassin would be a "killer" combination.
  2. S

DP2 Quatro for $500

I just ordered a DP2 Quatro for $499.99 from B&H!!!
  3. S

FOR SALE: LEICA M9 18.5MP STEEL GREY PAINT DIGITAL CAMERA BODY +Bx CLEAN

priko, where are you located? Can the camera be inspected in person?
  4. S

Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS Alpha E-mount Prime Lens

Has anyone received the new Sony 35mm f/1.8 for their NEX? I'm interested in your evaluation of it, and in particular, has anyone compared it to the very sharp (& cheap) Sigma 30mm f/2.8? I prefer the 30mm focal lenth for the NEX, but the idea of a fast "standard" lens with OSS is...
  5. S

Imacon 848?

Short of some obsolete (with no support), messy drum scanner, you'll find your 949 will give you the best scans available. If I was still shooting film, I would have kept my 848. Enjoy your new toy!
  6. S

Imacon 848?

I sold my 848 a couple of years ago after I sold my Roundshot & Noblex. As far as I know, the software did not split images -- you had to do that manually. Call Imacon in Washington to get the latest service price. Frankly, unless you use the scanner commercially (large volume of scans) I see...
  7. S

NEX7 + Tamron 18-200

Looks like a keeper to me! Really nice shot. --Alan
  8. S

How's is the IPAD useful with your camera?

Try shooting RAW + JPEG & see what happens. --Alan
  9. S

Setting Up New PC for Photoshop

I think it is possible some plug-ins physically use scratch, and for sure they can indirectly force Photoshop to excede RAM & rely on scratch. Before dumping your 16 GB for 32 GB, I strongly suggest you simply use the system with 16 GB & monitor the situtation. Unless you end up using up the...
  10. S

Purchasing used m9-help please

I don't know where you are located, but if you are in the U.S., it's my understanding that the warranty is not transferable for U.S. based repair. Can someone confirm? --Alan
  11. S

Setting Up New PC for Photoshop

The one SSD for your operating system will give you faster boot at turn on, and of loading Photoshop. After that, no Photoshop benefit. If all you do is turn on your computer once a day & load Photoshop once a day, that's not much of a benefit! Since you already have it, I'd leave it. The...
  12. S

some questions for ProPhoto color space

Thanks Wayne & Ray for your inputs. I particularly like Wayne's comment: "Best practice is convert from raw into 16bit ppRGB, use ppRGB as your working space in Photoshop, then convert to the appropriate "output" space for your purposed files, such as to the printer or 8bit sRGB for the web."...
  13. S

My statement "If you were to view a photo with an embedded ProPhoto profile in an Adobe 98 space, that photo will look desaturated & flat. Not pretty!" is NOT in reference to your monitor profile & working space. Try it yourself. Take any photo & convert it to ProPhoto (if it isn't already.)...
  14. S

If using ProPhoto, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS work in 16 bit. That space is huge & if you work in 8 bit you are almost guaranteed to have posterization. I tend to edit in ProPhoto after opening up RAW files because that way I can archive using the all the colors delivered to me by the camera, even...
  15. S

FS Leica 50mm Summicron f/2 LATEST VERSION 6-bit coded

I bought the CV 15mm from Eydie (tourmania). I was concerned about his shipping it from Taiwan -- not to worry. I paid for it last Friday night California time, which is Saturday morning in Taiwan. Eydie got it to the post office before noon on Saturday & sent it Express Mail. He provided...
  16. S

Sony Zeiss 24mm f1.8 Sonnar available at B and H

Philber, what are the issues with the ZM 25 on an NEX 5N? I understand the NEX 3,5,7 have issues with this lens (color shift in the corners, & perhaps some corner smearing) but to my understanding, the 5N handles RF wide angle lenses well. I'm was hoping to see that the ZM 25 might have the...
  17. S

NEX-7 Level Function

I just looked at the NEX-7 manual that has been posted to see the details on the "level" function. Quoting from the manual: "Indicates whether the camera is level in both the horizontal and front-back directions. When the camera is level in both directions, the indicator turns to green." So...
  18. S

IPAD for travel use: backup storage & image viewer

Interesting discussion...but I'd like to bring this back to my on-topic questiong about zooming in & viewing to the pixel level. The Ipad apparently downsamples high-res JPEG images, so even if you shoot RAW+JPEG & view the JPEG image on the Ipad, the Ipad won't display to the pixel level...
  19. S

IPAD for travel use: backup storage & image viewer

bumb...nobody using an Ipad for high-res viewing of images in the field? Another possible Ipad app I found was Photosmith. Anyone tried Photosmith to zoom in on jpegs (some RAW files can't be viewed at 100% according to the Photosmith documentation.)