The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

203fe and CFV- II 50c

Would anyone with this combination or something similar be able to tell me if the fastest shutter speeds with the focal plane shutter are available with the digital back?

FloatingLens

With 205TCC, 1/2000s is possible yes. However the back drains the body battery very fast (may be a problem of my 205).

With 205TCC, 1/2000s is possible yes. However the back drains the body battery very fast (may be a problem of my 205).
Finally, I've discovered somebody who actually knows the answer :)
If I may I'd like to pick your brains a bit. I've owned a 503cw with a CFV-16 but have no experience with the other bodies.

I'm guessing you are using the CFV II 50c as opposed to one of the other versions. Is that correct?
If you use a C lens where the body is forced to use the lens shutter does the battery drain still occur?
Is the battery drain perhaps related to the body exposure meter?

Photon42

I used the 203FE digitally converted with the older CFV-50c with no issues. In FE mode, that is. All shutter speeds worked and I did not realise any specific battery drain. I do however take out the camera side battery if the camera is stored away.
If you use the 203FE in C mode, you can use the camera completely without batteries just as a 500-Series camera.

FloatingLens

I'm guessing you are using the CFV II 50c as opposed to one of the other versions. Is that correct?
If you use a C lens where the body is forced to use the lens shutter does the battery drain still occur?
Is the battery drain perhaps related to the body exposure meter?
Yes, I use a CFV II 50c.

I also suspect something in relation to the metering circuitry – that‘s why I tried to not advance the body after an exposure with the back still on as a solution, but I am not certain that‘s a remedy. The back is not supposed to interfere with that part of the 200 function. Than again, the 200 needs to sense the TCC settings which are now replaced by a no longer passive magazine.
I never tried specifically if C mode helps, but even if it did, loosing the FP shutter benefits somehow does not make sense, if you are interested in the 1/2000 shutter speed capability of this setup, like I am. Could give it a try, if you want. I don‘t think its the presence of a C lens alone.
In my case, the battery drains already significantly keeping the back attached over night (unused).

FloatingLens

BTW: Does anybody in the forum happen to know if Hasselblad are still offering the service „modified for dedicated backs“ today?

richardman

email Hasselblad support, they will know.

I use my 203FE and the CFV II extensively. I don't use any C lens, so can't help you there, but I love the combo

Just ask them (email to [email protected]). I did the FE modification in 2018, IIRC.
Hasselblad Sweden says yes, there is limited service available just no parts. So something like a CLA or adjustment to focus accuracy would be available but no parts replacement. They also said they only have one guy who knows how to do this.

Hasselblad USA says no, and Hasselblad USA says Hasselblad Sweden has given me bad information. :unsure::rolleyes:

TechTalk

That should be easy enough to sort out since you're already in touch with Hasselblad headquarters in Sweden. It would be good to let them know that you received conflicting advice from their U.S. subsidiary.

Last edited: