The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

About to buy a GFX100S, need lens advice.

P1505C

Congratz! Now all you need is the tilt adapter for the EVF :)
100%. Will be ordering one soon. Ordered the Mitakon 65mm today, seems to be a popular lens so I'll bite. I've been having fun adapting Leica glass onto it. Before I go crazy ordering lenses I need to upgrade my NAS.

Whisp3r

100%. Will be ordering one soon. Ordered the Mitakon 65mm today, seems to be a popular lens so I'll bite. I've been having fun adapting Leica glass onto it. Before I go crazy ordering lenses I need to upgrade my NAS.
Haha, the NAS part sounds very familiar, I replaced a 4-bay Qnap system by an 8-bay Qnap system two months ago. The camera will eat your disk space.
I've never adapted lenses on the GFX except the obligatory Canon T/S lineup because I need it in my line of work, but it does sounds fun to play around with lenses that weren't designed for the system and be pleasantly surprised by the resulting images.

Whisp3r

To OP: if you ever decide to go down that path: I have both a Pentax 645 75A and a 120FA which I'm not using. Better upgrade your NAS first before getting lost in the wonderful world of adapted lenses ;-)

PeterA

The 110/2 would be my first purchase and a 45mm the next and if I wanted wide- I would buy the 23mm - all outstanding lenses. The only Leica lenses that work ok are 75 and 90 although I have never tried a 135. If you are happy to convert other manual focus lenses from Mzf land - the world is your oyster.

P1505C

I've always shot at 35mm on a 35mm, but I think shooting up to 70mm FF equivalent would be useful to help me be more considered and intentful.

I always preferred primes until I got my Canon 24-70 2.8 and now it never leaves the 5D. And I really enjoy that range. However I'll stick with just the 65, maybe get the 110. But yes, NAS first and a new Mac. Decided against PC, getting a Mac Studio with the M3 is released.

vjbelle

I have a Studio M1 and a MBP M1 and couldn't be happier. So I'm first generation and still happy..... You won't go wrong with the M3 unless you purchase a terrible configuration. YouTube is your configuration friend....

Victor B.

P1505C

Had my first day out with the GFX100 and the Mitakon 65 1.4. Missed focus on every shot. Need to dial in my focus settings, peaking seems to be wrong. Have set it to highest magnification and lowest sensitivity, will see how that impacts things. Shooting on a monopod, really dont want to have to use a tripod.

Knorp

Mmm, I'm using an 1.4/80mm lens with for me 'good enough' results: manual focus, hand-held and with peaking and/or magnification.
You just need a bit more practice.

P1505C

After playing more and setting the zoom in to be much closer to the subject, I'm nailing focus. But I'm so slow for now I ordered the 80 1.7 for the AF and will use the manual focus for when I have more time.

Knorp

After playing more and setting the zoom in to be much closer to the subject, I'm nailing focus. But I'm so slow for now I ordered the 80 1.7 for the AF and will use the manual focus for when I have more time.
Fair enough, have fun !

P1505C

Also had to give in and after 10 years buy a new computer. These files are fat! Some kind of NAS or direct attached storage will be ordered shortly.