The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ALPA 6X9 film back which one is better?

abruzzi

I've used linhof Super Rollex backs for my Linhof TK S23. Oviously the mount is different, but I'm sure the inner workings are the same. Mechanically they have been excellent, and are good at mantaining film flatness (from what I can tell.) One thing that helps is the rubber roller that the feed passes around is a larger diameter than other backs I've used, so it is supposed to impart less bend on the film if it sits for a while un-advanced.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
There are actually three types of film backs for the ALPA Cameras .
As mentioned above , the LINHOF and MAMIYA (motorized 6x8) but also the ALPA , which is actually an ARCA SWISS back . Available as 6x7 and 6x9 . Labeled as ALPA but also as ARCA SWISS .
Each of these backs needs a special ALPA made adapter .

lookbook

... I am a fan of the Linhof cassettes.
These film cassettes are very robust and do not require plastic seals to keep the film light-tight.
They are available from 35mm cassettes 24x35mm up to 6x12cm.

For Alpa they are only available in 6x7 and 6x9 - the Mamiya cassette is the 6x8 format
You should consider which format you need.

I think neither Arca nor Alpa ever made their own film cassettes.

Alkibiades

Linhof has the best cassettes, nothing come even close to the quality of the Super Rolex.
All Arca Swiss cassettes are Made in Japan, Mamiya and Horseman. They are simply OK.

P. Chong

Alpa re-commissioned a run with Linhof backs, I heard. Definitely best build out there, if money is no object.
I also heard that Linhof is very difficult to work with…very high inertia. I also understand that the RB motorised backs tend to give best spacing among the Mamiya options. I have not used any of the Mamiya backs , not Linhof, but on my RB67 ProSD,i find the frame spacing to be excellent.

Paul Spinnler

I waited 8 months for my MT3000 last year. They only have one technician left or so and who knows what happens if certain people stop working there be it due to age, health, etc.

IF you desire a Linhof product, NOW is the time to order it NEW.

Alkibiades

I also heard that Linhof is very difficult to work with…very high inertia. I also understand that the RB motorised backs tend to give best spacing among the Mamiya options. I have not used any of the Mamiya backs , not Linhof, but on my RB67 ProSD,i find the frame spacing to be excellent.
absolutely not. Linhof Super Rollex are very easy to use. The most complicated cassettes are from Sinar
, Linhof are easy and logical in function.

Last edited:

Geoff

Another way to go is Alpa adapter 20044011 and a Horseman 6x7 back - may be called with "baby Graflex mount".

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I believe , that the ALPA 6x7 back , named ALPA or ARCA SWISS is actually a Horseman Back .

Alkibiades

What I mean is the company Linhof…not the product.
when you get a used Super Rollex in good condition you will probably never need service. I own some that are 40 years old and work as new. The quality is simply amazing and I ask myself how somebody could damage them ( some really can), because they are made as a German tank. So you will never need a contact or get service from Linhof.
Linhof has good service here in Germany, but they don't repair any more old stuff.

P. Chong

when you get a used Super Rollex in good condition you will probably never need service. I own some that are 40 years old and work as new. The quality is simply amazing and I ask myself how somebody could damage them ( some really can), because they are made as a German tank. So you will never need a contact or get service from Linhof.
Linhof has good service here in Germany, but they don't repair any more old stuff.
Again, I mean getting one is difficult. As Paul said, he waited 8 months. That was what I meant as inertia of the company.

P. Chong

As we know it, Linhof still exists. I understand Alpa is still working with them for the backs, though as stated, it is getting increasingly difficult to get stocks.

Phase One has just killed the Mamiya legacy, as far as I know. I still own and use an RB67 ProSD, but they do not support it in any way.