The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Antarctica Anyone

JoelM

Has anyone gone to Antarctica for a photo trip? I was looking at the South Pole, but that's well out of my price range.
Are the sights nice and is there much wildlife to photograph? Also, any tours you might recommend?
Many Thanks in Advance,
joel

Shashin

Joel, sorry, but Antarctica and the South Pole are the same place?

If you are looking for an Arctic adventure, I would consider places in Northern Canada or US (Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (Alaska), Ellesmere Island, northern Yukon Territory, Hudson Bay), Greenland, and Svalbard. You can even drive to some of those places: Dempster Highway (Rt 5), for example, will take you to the arctic.

As for specific tours, I am unsure, but I might start with identifying the area first.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Has anyone gone to Antarctica for a photo trip? I was looking at the South Pole, but that's well out of my price range.
Are the sights nice and is there much wildlife to photograph? Also, any tours you might recommend?
Many Thanks in Advance,
joel
There are a number of quality workshops out there, such as:

I would normally point you to Kevin Raber's Rockhopper photo workshops, but he seems to have stopped doing the Antarctica workshops.

Just google "antarctica photography workshop", and you'll find a bunch of entries. It does seem like some of these cross-references to each other (such as the Meunch tutors) but a good place to start.

I’ve done many trips. For wildlife I’d look at South Georgia Island, where you can see the massive colonies of breeding penguins. Antarctica also has penguin opportunities but has more for the spectacular landscapes. For tour operators, there are plenty, my main advice would be to avoid big boats (more than 100 passengers). Cheesemans’ Ecology Safaris is great as is Kevin Raber’s Rockhoppper.

I have images from both on my website: www.akimagery.com

The emperor images were from a dedicated emperors trip, so don’t expect to see emperors unless you are doing that one.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
For tour operators, there are plenty, my main advice would be to avoid big boats (more than 100 passengers).
+1 on this. I've booked twice and ended up cancelling twice because of this.

Also, avoid workshops where you are the paying customer for hosts to expand their portfolio vs working with you. (Michael Reichman - RIP). I can explain more if you want to DM me vs the forum. It's a common problem in "exotic" locations.

dchew

I've been once, just this past December. The scenery is amazing, especially the west side of the peninsula; Lemaire Channel, The Gullet, Paradise Bay, Neko Harbour, Wilhelmina Bay are all wonderful as are many other locations. There are plenty of penguin colonies, seals, whales and various birds. I would decide if you want wildlife, scenery or a mixture of both. I have not been to South Georgia Island, but as @thedigitalbean said, it is probably the best for pure wildlife. I echo there are many options. If you want other mammals, you have to go north, not south. The scenery is endless rock, snow, ice and glaciers.

It is an experience of a lifetime; I highly recommend it. I did a Lindblad Expedition, which was NOT a dedicated photo trip, and it was 125 passengers. As Graham and others have pointed out, I wouldn't go with a larger group than that, and if you wanted a photo dedicated trip I would target even smaller groups. The newer ships are real wonders of engineering. I could even use a tripod from the ship.

I think the actual South Pole and much of the mainland of Antarctica is not as "target rich" as the peninsula, which has many islands and is quite mountainous.

Dave

South Pole Station is only open to NSF researchers, and there's almost nothing to photograph there except labs and experiments.

lookbook

... the best pictures have already been taken there.
none of us amateurs have to go there to take "new pictures".