The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using Cambo Actus

Maxx9photo

I’m curious if anyone packs their actus all setup in their bag. Camera/DB, bellows, lens on the rail, ready to go. Or do you setup on site? Also curious about how you shoot in wetter weather? Poncho over the gear?
I’ve had mine (Actus DB) for quick few months, on field trip I had mine separated as it won’t take that long to set up the camera, lens, bellow and CFV 50CII/IQ4.
As far as wetter weather, I didn’t use any as I just got lucky it wasn’t raining hard or anything every time I was on the field. Was light light drizzle or one misty morning.
The reason I sold mine is due to the rear is not upgradable to rotate the DB without having unattached the back (The new G And MV have the rotating adapter) and also there’s not enough clearance for me to exchange battery on my IQ4 so I need to unattached the back again from the camera. That said it’s causing or risking dust exposure on the field and/or drop accidentally.
I’ve traded mine to XT couple days ago and settle for now and hopefully for long time.

Cheers,

Ike

rdeloe

Tim's picture show's a Tenba BYOB 10 bag. These are great for this job. I use a BYOB 13 to pack my Arca Swiss F-Universalis in "ready to shoot" mode. I load the camera with rail vertical. The orange foam thing at the bottom (top-left) is a piece of Kaizen foam that I shaped to receive the rail and front standard. It's held in place with an elastic strap with velcro on the ends. The bellows fold themselves into position when I shove it in the bag (top-right).

The BYOB sits inside an Ortlieb Atrack 35 litre bag. It lays on its side when packaged. When I'm ready to shoot, I drop the Atrack on the ground, unzip, grab the BYOB handle and pull it vertical. It takes a few seconds to be up and running.

You can see it in the picture but the side pouches of the BYOB hold 2 of 3 lens boards; one board is always on the F-Universalis. There's also room in the BYOB for filter wallet, bits and bobs in the pouch on the lid, an LCC panel, a zippered pouch with more bits and bobs, and a lens that didn't fit into the main lens/camera compartment. I could carry the GFX 50R mounted on the F-Universalis in portrait orientation, but it's safer in its own space in the upper bag.
Pack setup.jpg

vjbelle

Looks very nice Rob. It may even work for an MF-2 which I am on the fence for purchasing. The big advantage, for me, over my Actus is that I can use my 60XL with full movements and even a Rody 50mm with full movements. With either of those lenses my WA needs are filled using my 100s as a DB. Big disadvantage is I gain an extra 2 lbs and extra bulk.

Victor B.

TimoK

Sorry Rob, i'm not a native English speaker. Maybe. that's why we think in different way about the term "ready to shoot".
I have Actus with lens and camera(sensor) mounted. I only have to take it off the bag and focus to the subject before shooting. (And put the camera on).
It looks like You have to mount the lens and the camera to Universalis before You can start to take photos?

Tim's picture show's a Tenba BYOB 10 bag. These are great for this job. I use a BYOB 13 to pack my Arca Swiss F-Universalis in "ready to shoot" mode. I load the camera with rail vertical. The orange foam thing at the bottom (top-left) is a piece of Kaizen foam that I shaped to receive the rail and front standard. It's held in place with an elastic strap with velcro on the ends. The bellows fold themselves into position when I shove it in the bag (top-right).

rdeloe

Sorry Rob, i'm not a native English speaker. Maybe. that's why we think in different way about the term "ready to shoot".
I have Actus with lens and camera(sensor) mounted. I only have to take it off the bag and focus to the subject before shooting. (And put the camera on).
It looks like You have to mount the lens and the camera to Universalis before You can start to take photos?
Timo, you are correct. It's "almost ready to shoot". For me the goal was to not have to pack the F-Universalis in parts that need to be assembled before I can shoot.

Packed as shown in the pictures I must attach the camera and the lens. I have some lenses that I could leave on because they're small, and I could leave the camera on the back. The sensor would be exposed if there was no lens, but I have body caps I could put on the boards I use so that's a fixable problem. However, I don't always know which lens I want to use, so it doesn't save me time.

rdeloe

Looks very nice Rob. It may even work for an MF-2 which I am on the fence for purchasing. The big advantage, for me, over my Actus is that I can use my 60XL with full movements and even a Rody 50mm with full movements. With either of those lenses my WA needs are filled using my 100s as a DB. Big disadvantage is I gain an extra 2 lbs and extra bulk.

Victor B.
The weigh is an issue for me too. The F-Universalis is lighter than the Toyo VX23D I used to carry in that pack, but it's heavier than the MAB camera I built and used last year (which was only 750 grams). I've also somehow ended up with more lenses, which add yet more weight.

You'd have to do some measuring to see if a bigger MF-2 would fit in something like a BYOB 13. From looking at pictures, I think it might. One issue is the standard rail. If it's longer than the one on my F-Universalis (15cm), it won't fit. The function carriers are taller on an MF-2, which increases the overall length when it's face down in the bag; they might make it too big.

TimoK

Timo, you are correct. It's "almost ready to shoot". For me the goal was to not have to pack the F-Universalis in parts that need to be assembled before I can shoot.

Packed as shown in the pictures I must attach the camera and the lens. I have some lenses that I could leave on because they're small, and I could leave the camera on the back. The sensor would be exposed if there was no lens, but I have body caps I could put on the boards I use so that's a fixable problem. However, I don't always know which lens I want to use, so it doesn't save me time.
Thank You!
We are not far away from each other.
I'm ready to shoot if if the lens mounted (135mm Sinaron digital) in my bag is the right lens I need for my purpose when I want to take a photo.
Most often it's the best lens, but if not I have to change. It takes time. But still I have 3 spare lenses in Tenba 10 insert. Not outside of the bigger insert.

Last edited:

anwarp

I usually carry the actus with the bellows lens and back mounted.
I haven’t used the actus in inclement weather so far, but I expect I would use the rain cover for the backpack or an umbrella if I were in that situation.

Anwar

Gojophoto

'MINI' could be used for any Actus series that utilizes the short rail. All of the front and rear standards utilize the same positions when attached to the rails. The current production Rody 180mm lens cannot be used with the short rail as posted above - at least with a GFX or Sony 7RM4. I have never adjusted the front swing 180 degrees but that would add the needed distance to reach FFD. As also posted above the short bellows is 'too' short for longer lenses and longer would be needed and are available.

I have two complete Actus systems and have been using them for the last 6 years with various DB and mirrorless cameras with great success.

Victor B.
I am renting an actus G sith fuji 100s on back. I want to buy a rz 90mmm and a 65mm with optical float. What cambus actus lens board should ai buy? Before you say it know of the cambo rents want me to do this. I am looking allover ebay and it very confusing. Could you please shead some light on what I can by to actually get the ball rolling a start taking pictures (still, food) thanks!

Steve Hendrix

I am renting an actus G sith fuji 100s on back. I want to buy a rz 90mmm and a 65mm with optical float. What cambus actus lens board should ai buy? Before you say it know of the cambo rents want me to do this. I am looking allover ebay and it very confusing. Could you please shead some light on what I can by to actually get the ball rolling a start taking pictures (still, food) thanks!

If your intent is to use Mamiya RZ lenses, then you need a Mamiya RZ lensboard:

https://digitalback.com/collections...ting-mamiya-rz-rb-lenses-to-actus-view-camera

And if you decide the Actus G is the thing for you, we also stock that product. If you rent from us, then you can apply the rental fee toward purchase of that product.

Steve Hendrix/CI

corvus

Cambo has good documentation for its products.

Select your favorite product and on the last pages you will find an overview of all compatible components with the product numbers.