The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ball head compatibility

jdphoto

I've been using my Gitzo GH1780QR ball head since I started professionally as a photographer. It is robust and holds firm. I'd like to use a RRS nodal slide and was curious if all these various accessories are compatible based on the arca type plates? Is RRS a proprietary design that can only be used with their products? Thanks for any info.

Godfrey

Most all the RRS tripod and plates that I know about use the Arca-Swiss classic type clamp and plate designs. If your Gitzo head is Arca-Swiss compatible, it will work fine. If not, you'll need to hunt up an Arca-Swiss QR clamp to fit to your head.

jdphoto

My Gitzo QR1780 is not ArcaSwiss compatible, but Gitzo apparently makes their ball heads with ArcaSwiss compatibility now. Ordered a RRS BH30 for travel and hiking.