The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can you use the same settings from Digital Camera for Film Camera

rollsman44

When using a film camera can one use the same settings as the Digital cameras for the same ISO?
If I am shooting outdoors in daylight and my Digital camera reads ISO 100, Shutter speed 1/125 and F11 Can I set my film camera to the same settings instead of buying a Meter. The Sunny 16 Method
I am old school and just curious about the settings on Film camera. Either SLR or Medium format. Thank you

darr

Dennis,
As long as your focal lengths are similar as well as the lighting and composition, then the exposures should be similar. If you are shooting transparency film, you might try bracketing a few shots and see how well they match your dslr’s metering.

rollsman44

THey will be similar and NO transparency....Negatives.

NOT looking to shoot film right now BUT if I find a Med Format camera/Lens combo cheap I will give it a try. The other issue is Flash on film camera. I have to use a Sync cord to the flash and to the camera. The older MF film cameras have a Low shutter speed( 1/30, 1/60 and some all speeds. Like the Rolleicord TLR . I might try that one. Very light and inexpensive. I know the expens involved and the wait time so maybe I wont try film again. I started in 1965 with 35mm and in 1971 I used the Mamiya RB 67 GREAT camera and a BEAST. Thank you again

KC_2020

With color negative film you have a tremendous latitude in exposure. You could be off by a couple of stops and still have a useable image. Kodak Portra would be a good color negative to shoot if you're not able to meter critically. If you're going to shoot B&W try HP5+. It has an even greater latitude.

darr

I shoot film regularly. I shoot black and white with 4x5 and 120 cameras, including Sinar, Linhof, Hasselblad, Mamiya 6, and a Rolleiflex T. My 4x5 and 6x17 pinhole cameras are fun as well. I probably shoot a handful of color films yearly, but black and white weekly and hand develop at the kitchen sink. I leave color work for digital, and I love my digital cameras too, but there has always been something special to me about b&w and color transparency film. Whatever you do, may it bring you joy. Best to you, Dennis.

rollsman44

Thank you all. I still have NOT purchased a Film Camera. Also, I will send the Color film out to be processed and Scanned and then I can make my adjustments in LR

I dont want to make a Big investment in a Camera. I am using a Hassy X1D2 and love it. I used to shoot film back in the day for weddings 1971 and used Hassy 500 C/M