The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645 35mm Lens on GFX 50S ll

rollsman44

Is there an adaptor for the Contax 645 to GFX 50S ll ?
has anyone tried Contax 645 lenses on the GFX 50S? Thanks

Whisp3r

I just checked and yes, there actually is one, it's made by Fringer. According to the product page, the GFX 50S II is supported, it also appears to support IBIS. It carries a hefty price tag. Just search for 'Fringer C645-GFX II' or visit their page (fringeradapter.com).

Now, I haven't used this particular product so I can't help you there but I do extensively use Fringer's EF to GFX adapter to control the aperture of my Canon TS-E 24mm and Canon TS-E 50mm lenses (each lens has their own copy of the adapter mounted). At $500 it's not exactly cheap either but they work flawlessly, I've been using them for about a year and a half, no hiccups whatsoever.

asnapper

I have recently received a Fotodiox C645 to GFX adapter to use with my C645 35mm lens on a GFX 100s. I'm in the process of moving so I have not had the opportunity to try this setup. This adapter doesn't have AF, like the 3x more expensive Fringer does. I have heard the C645 35mm is the best of the bunch for 35mm lenses on the GFX

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Note: These are all just my opinions.

I've used the Contax 645 35mm on the Leica S (indeed, it was my very first lens on that system). It is a scaled up Zeiss 21mm Distagon, and so is very sharp, but it has strong mustache distortion. That can look good, as it magnifies the center of the image, but it is problematic for architecture. The two Contax lenses to avoid are the 210mm (just not sharp, and I've tried three copies) and the very heavy and optically mediocre 350/4. You're MUCH better off on the GFX with the native 250/4 and cropping. The Contax 140mm is light and good. The 120 macro is very sharp, well-corrected, and goes to 1:1.

scho

I have a set of old Contax N lenses that Iused with a Fringer AF adapter for Sony E mount cameras (CN-SE). Worked quite well and I think that the same adapter could be used with Contax 645 lenses via an additional mount adapter but I never tried that.

sirimiri

Try the Contax Makro-Planar 120, you don't be disappointed. The manual focus helicoid is a boon, in this focus-by-wire age.