The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D500 - closest in Z body?

Willieboy

Looking at a Z body to use some of my long Canon AF lenses. Want to be able to keep them with a Nikon crop body. Anything that autofocuses as well as the Nikon D500? I use one with Nikkors but it won't take Canon AF lenses - 300/400 f/2.8 lenses.

Am not getting a Z8 or 9 - price is too high. Are any of the current Z bodies able to match or improve on AF of the D500?

Duff photographer

You only have two options, the Z 50 and the Z fc. Both have more or less the same specs with regard to what you want out of them. Neither are a replacement for the D500.

AF speed will depend on the quality of the adapter you're using. I've heard good things about the Fringer adapter. AF speed and accuracy with native Z lenses on the Z 50/fc was never regarded as cutting edge, particularly if you're tracking objects such as birds in flight. When I tested a loan copy of a Z 50 and Z 400mm f4 with a friend's D500 with my 300mm f2.8, I found it lacking in several respects. Accuracy on stationary objects was fine, perhaps better than the D500. Tracking was not great. I don't see a 'foreign' lens working any better than a native lens.

...so, for the same price (sort of), get an EOS R7 or R10 plus the native EF adapter, which will work better than any third party adapter. The R7 and R10 are better spec'ed than the Z 50/fc.

Cheers,
Duff.

Last edited:

Swissblad

As Duff suggested - you'll be better off with new Canon body and adapter.

There currently is no mirrorless counterpart for the D500.

paladin

in my opinion you have put yourself in a corner. the Z8 is the closest but you won't go there. though it does exceed the D500 in a few ways.
i still use my D500 but a whole lot less than my Z9

jduncan

You only have two options, the Z 50 and the Z fc. Both have more or less the same specs with regard to what you want out of them. Neither are a replacement for the D500.

AF speed will depend on the quality of the adapter you're using. I've heard good things about the Fringer adapter. AF speed and accuracy with native Z lenses on the Z 50/fc was never regarded as cutting edge, particularly if you're tracking objects such as birds in flight. When I tested a loan copy of a Z 50 and Z 400mm f4 with a friend's D500 with my 300mm f2.8, I found it lacking in several respects. Accuracy on stationary objects was fine, perhaps better than the D500. Tracking was not great. I don't see a 'foreign' lens working any better than a native lens.

...so, for the same price (sort of), get an EOS R7 or R10 plus the native EF adapter, which will work better than any third party adapter. The R7 and R10 are better spec'ed than the Z 50/fc.

Cheers,
Duff.
Hi,
I will recommend you keep shooting with the D500 until you can get a used Z8. The resolution will be close to identical (crop mode) the AF for birds in flight supreme etc.
The other option is leaving Nikon: Any modern Sony will AF better than your D500 most of the time.
Again if you want to stay with Nikon my recommendation is to wait. Also, the next generation of the Z6 could end up being a good option, but at a lower resolution.

Best regards,

Last edited:

getscreen

The Z6 II and Z7 II both offer great autofocus capabilities, and they might just fit the bill for what you need. Plus, they're not as pricey as the flagship models.