The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FFS, Adobe, just put back the 'Done' button

biglouis

I can just imagine the discussion around the cappuccino machine in the break out room for the developers of Lightroom 12:

Developer 1: "Dude, I've just had this rad idea about changing the user interface"
Developer 2: "Pray, tell, O Special one. I am all ears!"
Developer 1: "Well, it is sooooo last century to click a 'Done' button when you finish using an editing tool."
Developer 2: "Oh, yes. This keeps me awake at night. I mean who thought it up? They must have been a real hacker! It is sooooo confusing. What does DONE even mean????"
Developer 1:"You are so right. They were probably a noob who thought it was 'kewel'!"
<They both giggle at the thought>
"Developer 1: "Anyhoo, I have just changed the interface and now instead of a DONE button you click to close an action you just click on the icon of the button you are using and the action is closed!"
Developer 2: "Man, you are the greatest coder at Adobe!"
<They both high five and chortle off back their desks.

So many software companies do this. Facebook does it on an almost daily basis. They have absolutely no idea about the investment in learning that people have gone through to use their products and think they can just change things with no consequences. Frankly, it is incredibly disrespectful to their users and even downright user-hostile.

FFS, Adobe, just put the frickin' DONE button back in Lightroom!

pegelli

That's indeed a silly "upgrade", rather than having to go to one place to close the tool in use you have to move to different places (and remember where).

I'm glad my cameras still allow me to be on version 6.14, no new bugs will be introduced allthough slowly some functionality doesn't work anymore (eg. the maps module)

Darin Marcus

Yeah, I am annoyed that the Done button is gone from the Crop tool….

But I do enjoy the new selection capabilities, especially those related to people.

biglouis

Yeah, I am annoyed that the Done button is gone from the Crop tool….

But I do enjoy the new selection capabilities, especially those related to people.
Completely agree. The masking tools are amazing. It is a shame that the improvements are somewhat soured by a stupid change that no one wanted and is completely unnecessary.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Must be something wrong with me. I can't recall ever using a Done button. R to bring up the crop, R to get rid of it. Was there another way? (I'm not being funny. I really don't know what you're all talking about.)

Darin Marcus

Must be something wrong with me. I can't recall ever using a Done button. R to bring up the crop, R to get rid of it. Was there another way? (I'm not being funny. I really don't know what you're all talking about.)
No problem :)

I am using Lightroom Classic on macOS, and rely heavily on mouse actions rather than keyboard shortcuts.
In the previous version, once I adjusted the crop grid, I would move my mouse to the bottom right corner of the image area where a large “Done“ button was present, and I would click on it to actually crop the image and close the Crop tool. Now I have to move to the crop pane on the right (default config) and “find”/click on a smaller “close“ button. Large buttons are easier to “find” with the mouse (especially on a 5k iMac high resolution display), and there is also the location change, but I’ll get used to it eventually…

Last edited:

biglouis

Interesting. I have never used keyboard shortcuts in LR. In fact, in general, whether it is a spreadsheet or word doc I try to accomplish as many actions as I can without ever going near the keyboard (other than to input data or characters).

LouisB

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Interesting. I have never used keyboard shortcuts in LR. In fact, in general, whether it is a spreadsheet or word doc I try to accomplish as many actions as I can without ever going near the keyboard (other than to input data or characters).

LouisB
I'm inconsistent. For dust removal, I always click on the tool. For the Guided perspective change tool, I always use the keyboard (Shift-T). I use G see Grid View, but click the Develop Module header to edit. I use the menus for "Import from another Catalog" and "Export" and the right mouse button to "Edit in Photoshop". Now that I write it out, it's very weird!