The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 503cx and CFV50c ii

P. Chong

Hi Claude, nice images of Gugong. I also recently tried the 503CM with CZ Planar 80 on the CFV II 50C. The combo works via the WLF, but I had issues with a consistent back focus. I have posted a pic on the portraits thread. I also find the liveview troublesome to use. I can only have liveview when the mirror is up and shutter in B mode. I will need to reset the mirror and set shutter to correct speed by exiting LV and then shoot.

What I did like is that the old V lens renders very nicely on the digital back. I think I will enjoy shooting the lens more with the 907X via XV instead of the 503.

Last edited:

anyone

Hi Claude, nice images of Gugong. I also recently tried the 503CM with CZ Planar 80 on the CFV II 50C. The combo works via the WLF, but I had issues with a consistent back focus.
You may want to have your camera body serviced. One common issue is that the damping elements of the mirror are out of place causing the issue - at least I had that problem with my 500C/M.

Geoff

Hi Claude, nice images of Gugong. I also recently tried the 503CM with CZ Planar 80 on the CFV II 50C. The combo works via the WLF, but I had issues with a consistent back focus. I have posted a pic on the portraits thread. I also find the liveview troublesome to use. I can only have liveview when the mirror is up and shutter in B mode. I will need to reset the mirror and set shutter to correct speed by exiting LV and then shoot.

What I did like is that the old V lens renders very nicely on the digital back. I think I will enjoy shooting the lens more with the 907X via XV instead of the 503.
Have found the same. The combination of the 501 with the back works, but is not so easy. Focus is (for me) off as well, even tho the camera was recently serviced, and thus is best confirmed through live view. It all gets to be somewhat of a hassle, so the better answer is to use the V lenses on the XV adapter.... easy enough.

sixby45

Hi Claude - thank you for sharing these photos, nice work! And nice to see the CZ legacy glass getting a work out :) All the best, and looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Claude9090

Thanks!
I think your camera needs maintenance.

elm

Claude, thank you for sharing your images.

Never saw a 503CX with a star on it. Love that!

I will have to use my kit like yours too and see what images I can create with it.

Best wishes!

Godfrey

Lovely photos, Claude!

I use the CFVII 50c back with my 500CM bodies and 50/80/120/150 lenses as well as with the 907x body stub and X system lenses. Like others have mentioned, I'm delighted with how nicely my old V system lenses perform on the digital back.

Regards focusing, I found that none of my existing Hasselblad screens provided me consistent focusing; I purchased and installed the screen designed for the CFV 50c and now I can hit precise, accurate focus every time, presuming that I actually put the effort in to focus properly. Film is just so much more forgiving in this regard...

Regards using Live View, yes: if you want to use the lens shutter to make your exposures, it's a bit of a dance changing the shutter speed back and forth, and winding the shutter up again, etc. If I'm working with static subjects, I use the eshutter instead ... That way the lens shutter stays locked open in B and I can control the camera with respect to ISO and time settings, and make the exposure, all with the back's controls. For more dynamic subjects, well, I don't bother with Live View. :)

It's a lovely system and gives my V system gear renewed life. Now I just have to get out and shoot with it a bit more...

G

Claude9090

Claude, thank you for sharing your images.

Never saw a 503CX with a star on it. Love that!

I will have to use my kit like yours too and see what images I can create with it.

Best wishes!
Thanks! Looking forward to your photos !

Claude9090

Lovely photos, Claude!

I use the CFVII 50c back with my 500CM bodies and 50/80/120/150 lenses as well as with the 907x body stub and X system lenses. Like others have mentioned, I'm delighted with how nicely my old V system lenses perform on the digital back.

Regards focusing, I found that none of my existing Hasselblad screens provided me consistent focusing; I purchased and installed the screen designed for the CFV 50c and now I can hit precise, accurate focus every time, presuming that I actually put the effort in to focus properly. Film is just so much more forgiving in this regard...

Regards using Live View, yes: if you want to use the lens shutter to make your exposures, it's a bit of a dance changing the shutter speed back and forth, and winding the shutter up again, etc. If I'm working with static subjects, I use the eshutter instead ... That way the lens shutter stays locked open in B and I can control the camera with respect to ISO and time settings, and make the exposure, all with the back's controls. For more dynamic subjects, well, I don't bother with Live View. :)

It's a lovely system and gives my V system gear renewed life. Now I just have to get out and shoot with it a bit more...

G
Thanks!
I read a lot of your posts before I bought 907x, great help for me.