The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX 100ii -- How to decouple live view exposure settings when using flash triggers?!

ian_T

Hi everyone,

Forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere; I've spent a good bit of time researching and haven't turned anything up yet.

When shooting in a studio situation with strobes, my camera settings are often super underexposed because the scene will be properly lit with flash. BUT, the camera viewfinder (eyepiece and/or LCD) show all black because they are (accurately) showing what the camera sees at those settings without flash. This makes it impossible to 'see' what the camera is seeing. So for example if I'm shooting a scene that meters iso800, f/2.8, 1/50sec but I'm using strobes and my settings are more like iso80, f/8, 1/125 sec, the viewfinder will be useless. It's still working... eye-focus etc perform fine, but I can't see the screen or viewfinder in order to compose.

On my nikon z cameras there is a way to decouple the live-view from the exposure settings when a flash trigger is mounted. So in the above situation you can set the Z camera to display a properly exposed view on the viewfinder that has nothing to do with the actual exposure settings (ie mimicking an optical viewfinder). ** Is there a way to do this on the GFX system?? ** I haven't figured it out yet and it's driving me crazy!

Gear used: Fuji GFX 100ii, Godox fuji pro ii trigger, a Godox pentax pro 1 trigger, pocket wizard X trigger (tried them all with same results).

-Ian

ian_T

AHH yes. That did it!! Thank you Oren!! 🏆

On my nikons I can have it automatically toggle to "preview mode off" when a flash trigger is attached. Anybody know if that is an option on the fuji systems?