The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX100-ii memory card confusion

sr500

I just purchased a GFX100-II and I've never owned a camera that uses CF Express memory cards. Previously I've been using Sony Tough cards and they've been completely trouble free so I figured I would buy a Sony Tough CF Express Type B card as well. But this lead me to confusion. There is a list of supported memory cards on Fujifilm's website and it seems that some cards support longer shooting time for burst photos, but Sony isn't one of them. Does anyone know how significant that is?

Also if I'm using an UHS-II card in the slot 2 for backups, does it mean I won't be able to take the advantage of the faster CFexpress card anyway? And so everytime I wanted to shoot longer bursts I would have to dive into menus and change the card slot setting from backup to sequential as that is one of the settings that won't be saved in my C1-C6 setups. To me this doesn't make any sense. Why would they not put two CFexpress card slots instead of having a slow UHS-II card to act as a bottleneck like this?

Knorp

Well, I don’t know but you can hardly call 8 fps as ‘gunning’. So I’d say you’re not limited with a SD card as backup.
But then I’m only using a Sony Tough 128GB SD-card.

sr500

Well, I don’t know but you can hardly call 8 fps as ‘gunning’. So I’d say you’re not limited with a SD card as backup.
But then I’m only using a Sony Tough 128GB SD-card.
I was initially thinking they decided to go with CF Express only because of video, but apparently it does make a difference with stills as well. At least according to the compability chart. If it's mostly for video, then it's a waste of money buying an expensive faster card.

Mexecutioner

The writing speed from camera to card will be limited by the writing speed of the slowest card, in this case the SD card. I decided against using an SD card at the same time because of this.

biglouis

A slightly different experience but the principle applies: my X-H2S has CF express and SD slots. I never use backup mode because the advantage of the blazingly fast write speed to the CF card would be lost as the much slower SD card waits to catch up. The whole point of CF express is that it is much more robust and reliable than SD. Unless you are using the camera professionally and your livelihood would be impacted if you don't have a backup, I wouldn't bother about using that mode. I only use the X-H2S for wildlife photography so speed is vital to me but as this is not commercial I don't care about a backup. Just my two cents.

Incidentally, I do wish manufacturers would drop this stupide CF/SD combination. Either two CF card slots or two SD slots but the mixture creates an obvious throttle point. It is even more annoying when really what they should be doing is installing memory on the main circuit board and only using a CF slot for backup. That would work better.

JaapD

installing memory on the main circuit board and only using a CF slot for backup
Indeed, like Hasselblad did. A 1TB SSD controller and memory chip directly on the circuit board would cost almost nothing, although the marketing machine will let us pay for it! Profit stays at the camera manufacturer and does not flow outside to the card manufacturer. A win-win situation if you ask me.

Add a CF card slot in case you’ll require more memory.

I really hope Hasselblad’s idea will be picked up by other camera manufacturers.

Cheers,
JaapD.